Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: fog lights with high beams  (Read 3841 times)

todd2fst4u

• View Profile
fog lights with high beams
« on: 01 January 2007, 06:10:41 »

i own a cadillac catera. im looking to wire up my fog lights to stay on when the high beams come on. i was thinking of just jumping some fuses together, but the fog lights don't have a fuse and the high beams fuse gets 12v even if the high beams arent on. so now im thinking of just running wires directly from the housings. just splice in the 12v wire of the high beam and add it to the 12v wire on the fog light. the only reason i dont like this is that the fog would come on with the DRL's that way. anybody have any ideas? preferably i would like to have the fog lights come on when the high beams are on, but not when the DRL's come on. (the DRL's on the catera are the high beams at reduced voltage)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: fog lights with high beams
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2007, 10:57:41 »

Welcome to the site :)

I don't have the wiring diagrams for you car, only the european variants.  I'm fairly certain my fogs are on whenever the switch is pressed, and lights are on, but we probably have different rules here...

I would look at sticking a relay in, energised by full beam, that provides 12v to fogs. This way, fog light switch should work as intended, but fogs also come on with full beam...
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2007, 17:58:43 »

The front fog setup is controlled via the main headlight switch, there is a signal to this from the day running lights controller to disable the fogs as described.

You could add an extra realy as described or, try cutting the wire to pin 7 of the headlight switch....its the white with yellow stripe wire (note, this also feeds 13 which you dont want to touch), in theory this will allow the fogs to be turned on at any time and they should'nt be affected by any thing else.......note, I havn't tried this!

todd2fst4u

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 January 2007, 21:12:37 »

i'll try cutting the wire. thats easy to fix if it doesnt work as you think it will. so i should look for a white wire with a yellow stripe coming out of the headlamp switch?

todd2fst4u

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2007, 00:57:29 »

i jsut looked for the white wire with the yellow stripe and could not find it. there is a grey wire with a yellow stripe. is this the same?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 January 2007, 21:20:35 »

According to my diagrams it is white with a yellow stripe....it goes to pin 7.....which will be close to a Brown/yellow (pin 8) and black/blue (pin6)......

todd2fst4u

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 January 2007, 03:29:56 »

i got it working! all you have to do is connect pin 87A to pin 30 on the High Beam RH relay. works like a charm.

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2007, 11:43:30 »

Two points:

Is the mainbeam circuit supplying current to the mainbeam and foglights simultaneously?  The fuse may be approaching its limit.

Is that a bare piece of copper wire loosely wrapped round the relay terminals before the relay is pushed in?  This is a fire hazard!

The best solution is to fit relays, energised by the high beam voltage and supplied with a separate, appropriately fused feed as suggested previously.
« Last Edit: 06 January 2007, 11:45:53 by Hillper »
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2007, 21:49:55 »

Two points:

Is the mainbeam circuit supplying current to the mainbeam and foglights simultaneously?  The fuse may be approaching its limit.

Is that a bare piece of copper wire loosely wrapped round the relay terminals before the relay is pushed in?  This is a fire hazard!

The best solution is to fit relays, energised by the high beam voltage and supplied with a separate, appropriately fused feed as suggested previously.

I second that!!
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

RobC_NE

• North East
  • IMI and VSIB Qualified Auto Electrician
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 February 2007, 00:47:47 »

and thirded. just repaired part of the loom on a car which had something similar done to it. except the owner boosted the rating of the fuse. to a somewhat diasterous end.

copper wire (used to bridge): 20p
cost to repair : £380

look on customers face when he saw the removed section of the loom (all black, rigid and stinky) due to his stupidity. PRICELESS....  ;D
Saxo, corsa, clit drivers. Before starting on a journey, attach a lit sparkler to the antenna of your car. you drive the thigs like dodgems. for the love of god MAKE IT LOOK THE PART!

DaveL

• Omega Knight
  • Nr. Cupar, Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 February 2007, 08:26:37 »

Am i missing a point here? Why do you want to put on your fogs with your main beam.

The fogs cut underneath the fog because of their height. Inputting on the main beam as well you are going to get glare from the fog. If ,as i suppose, it is because of poor dip beams then look at up grading the bulbs in them.

The shorting out of the relay by the bare copper wire is an accident waiting to happen. [smiley=shocked.gif]

8-)
DaveL

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 February 2007, 10:55:34 »

Am i missing a point here? Why do you want to put on your fogs with your main beam.

The fogs cut underneath the fog because of their height. Inputting on the main beam as well you are going to get glare from the fog. If ,as i suppose, it is because of poor dip beams then look at up grading the bulbs in them.

The shorting out of the relay by the bare copper wire is an accident waiting to happen. [smiley=shocked.gif]

8-)
DaveL
I think the OP wanted to have fogs come on with full beam, and fogs still work independently in foggy weather...

And remember, the OP is a US citizen, and probably different laws regarding fogs (not that any chavs around here obey such rules)
Grumpy old man

DaveL

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 February 2007, 14:47:22 »

Fair comment. As the poster has not said where he is i could only assume that he was over here. My mistake, sorry. Perhaps todd2fst4u would like to fill out where they are in relation to the rest of us or U.S.

But i still do not see the point of putting them on with main beam. :o
 8-)
DaveL

DaveL

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 February 2007, 14:59:52 »

And remember, the OP is a US citizen, and probably different laws regarding fogs (not that any Chavs around here obey such rules)[/quote]

i did not see any reference to being a citizen over the pond, could not even find an intro on the newbies welcome page. Any way i am sure you must be right my e.s.p. is switched off at the moment. ;D

8-)
DaveL
« Last Edit: 26 February 2007, 15:01:51 by davel »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 February 2007, 16:54:56 »

I remember the guy joining, and remember him saying it was a Cadillac Catera...
Grumpy old man

DaveL

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 February 2007, 18:22:39 »

Pm sent to TheBoy

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 February 2007, 18:33:58 »

i did not see any reference to being a citizen over the pond, could not even find an intro on the newbies welcome page. Any way i am sure you must be right my e.s.p. is switched off at the moment. ;D

8-)
DaveL

i own a cadillac catera. im looking to wire up my fog lights to stay on when the high beams come on. ...... (the DRL's on the catera are the high beams at reduced voltage)

The main clue is that he/she drives a Cadillac Catera. Another less obvious clue is ref DRL's - Daytime Running lights.  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.