Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: keeping them on the road  (Read 4035 times)

brassedoff

• scotland
    • omega 2.2
    • View Profile
keeping them on the road
« on: 06 December 2016, 23:48:50 »

We have two estates now getting on in years had them since new... but as there is nothing as big nor has the carrying capacity as these two.... having looked at other cars on the market we have decided to keep replacing and repairing worn parts as long as we can get them which will become a problem I think. Engine and body wise they are great I think they have a mind of their own with ghost electrics which misbehave only when it is either snowing or raining!!! lock you out when you are miles from anywhere and in a hurry!!! but if you like a comfy roomy car they are the thing. They were ahead of their time when new so have most of the things you need unless you like lots of toys...
Had 11 Vauxhalls Carltons then omegas over the years wish they would bring them back ;D :y
« Last Edit: 07 December 2016, 00:01:09 by brassedoff »

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
Re: keeping them on the road
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2016, 07:43:20 »

I have previuosly owned a 12V GSI manual, two 24V diamond estates and a f/l 2.5 TD estate. Still miss the Omega even though it has now been 2 1/2 years since I sold it. Replaced it with a Monza

Keith ABS

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2016, 12:07:47 »

I won't quite dare to go as far as saying parts will never become a problem ('twould be tempting fate) but....

because the Omega was sold in such numbers, so as each dies, that's another car's worth of spares to be had, potentially. Also, because so much is shared by run-of-the-mill stuff, Vectras, Astras, and the like, many things are still to be had at motorfactors. Then you realise that the Carlton / Senny before shares much of the underpinnings, too. Thankfully, the Vectra C/Signum kept a development of the V6, so oil coolers etc will be available direct from Vx for a while.

Keep your eye on ebay for the right stuff, we're currently at a point where lots of genuine GM stuff is being cleared out of various Parts depts, now the Omega has reached the 10-year cutoff that Manufacturers are no longer obliged to keep parts for.

I'd advocate to anyone buy it when it comes up for sale, not because you need it. Otherwise you may find yourself off the road/paying a hefty premium through nesessity. If you get eg: a brand new GM coil pack for £40 (like I did) the worst case is you never need it, you sell the car, and touch wood, someone will have it off you for that kind of money/more, further down the line.  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

brassedoff

• scotland
    • omega 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2016, 17:01:17 »

You see we do not have to be a throw away society...going to run them into the ground...everyone says buy a new car....why should I when I like the ones I have......The new estates are a different shape......... they do not carry what we want to carry.....We are limited in Scotland not as many Omega parts as down south although having said that we have not been stuck so far...... Great engines someone must have fed the horses grain today she kept running way with me ;D ;D ;D ;D

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 December 2016, 19:59:56 »

You see we do not have to be a throw away society...going to run them into the ground...everyone says buy a new car....why should I when I like the ones I have......The new estates are a different shape......... they do not carry what we want to carry.....We are limited in Scotland not as many Omega parts as down south although having said that we have not been stuck so far...... Great engines someone must have fed the horses grain today she kept running way with me ;D ;D ;D ;D

I agree .
I've had my estate for 14 years now and have no intention of moving to something newer . I'd have to spend a considerable sum of money to get something as large , comfortable and dependable to replace it , besides , I still like it . My car is debadged and has a non OE grill and people are always asking " what car is that ?" ;D
We just bought a one year old Skoda yeti and my 120 K mile Omega rides just as comfortably as it . I get great pleasure parking next to a new or newish car and watching the quizzical frown  as they look at the registration number ( Irish plates display the year of registration ) .
Nope , I no longer subscribe to the throw away society either .

2boxerdogs

« Reply #5 on: 07 December 2016, 20:55:26 »

Sold my 2.6 last year only because I wanted a V8 , up till now the Omega was the nicest car to drive and I had 5 years of trouble free motoring. If I had been able to garage it as well as the Merc I would have kept it as it was an excellent example , but I could not bear to see it left out in the elements.Like you say they are great cars.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 December 2016, 21:43:09 »

My son Ben has been using my 2000 Omega 2.5 petrol estate as a builder's van for the last 9 months, humping materials to site and conveying rubble and waste timber to the tip in it. He moved in to his old vicarage conversion 3 weeks ago and returned the estate to me. Today I hoovered the interior, washed the exterior, gave it a good service, and now it looks smart and drives as well as ever,
16 years old, 160K miles, still no rust on the rear wheel arches, cost me £305, its a wonderful car with many more years work in it. 
I echo your sentiments.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 December 2016, 21:48:42 »

I have three!  :-[

One is a daily driver used for my work travelling and busily racking up the miles, one is (in my opinion) in really good condition apart from a spot of rust on the corner of one door and this car will be seeing some upgrades by Serek next year, the final one is a project which I'm hoping will be completed by next summer....

brassedoff

• scotland
    • omega 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2018, 20:37:08 »

Just had the two old ladies done up again....have been looking at a couple of new models but to get the same spec as the Omega its over 40 grand and with no room!!!!! there is nothing with boot space and I dont want a car with no spare wheel not with the roads in a state they are!!! :)  can anyone tell me how to get into the binicale as the dash light has goner out.or could it be a fuse???? thanks

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Grumpy old man

brassedoff

• scotland
    • omega 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 May 2018, 14:32:52 »

2001 and 2003 over the years the two cars have not cost much in the way of repairs when you take the milage 134 thousand on one and 95 thousand on the other usually do 160 thousand with the others we have had.  with not much rust every though it rains often in Scotland  ;D ;D ;D still both nippy and with great exceleration so we have had them done up for another year..... have you noticed how small parking spaces are now made for diddy cars with no boot :D :D

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 May 2018, 20:20:28 »

Had a Mk1 Carlton 2L years ago.That blew oil out of the air filter and the timing chain rattled like a good 'in on tickover.But it never failed to start,didn't breakdown and was fairly rapid still.Had a couple of Rovers[a P6 and SD1]after that before moving on to Senators,wish I still had one of those instead of the Omega.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 May 2018, 22:09:47 »

2001 and 2003 over the years the two cars have not cost much in the way of repairs when you take the milage 134 thousand on one and 95 thousand on the other usually do 160 thousand with the others we have had.  with not much rust every though it rains often in Scotland  ;D ;D ;D still both nippy and with great exceleration so we have had them done up for another year..... have you noticed how small parking spaces are now made for diddy cars with no boot :D :D

Spot on about the size of parking spaces. If you go to a supermarket, the best place to see an Omega is farthest away from the main door.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 May 2018, 07:19:31 »

BazaJT, 24V senny just come up on ABS

Keith ABS

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 May 2018, 08:47:17 »

Colour, price, location ??? Details Keith, need details.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.