Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mashed it  (Read 4734 times)

omega3000

Mashed it
« on: 21 October 2014, 14:12:31 »

Mashed the pedal on my own private test track today with S button pressed and rolling start 50 .... :o :o It works  ::)
Nothing will outpace this old tub .. not even a trace of oil smell thrash burn from any of the 6 pots .. Oil tight .. cooler working , comfy and pin quiet inside apart from the boom from boxes.. cant ask for anything more from a 16 year old car  :y

Hows your old tub running ?  ???

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
Re: Mashed it
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2014, 15:04:48 »

I have been a bit surprised that tossers drivers in smallish cars see the old tub as one to take on at traffic lights. I do not even have to use S. A BMW convertible had a go a couple of days ago and was suitably embarassed. I think they look at the plate and assume an old car is not up to it
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

aaronjb

« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2014, 15:09:19 »

The Omega (despite all it's faults) is pretty nippy in 3.2 form, 8.5s to 60 is no slouch - albeit not exactly awe inspiring performance either.

Sadly it's replacement (for me) is a bit slower - 10.2 to 60 and I have to stir an Edwardian signal box lever to get there ;D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2014, 15:13:54 »

The Omega (despite all it's faults) is pretty nippy in 3.2 form, 8.5s to 60 is no slouch - albeit not exactly awe inspiring performance either.

Sadly it's replacement (for me) is a bit slower - 10.2 to 60 and I have to stir an Edwardian signal box lever to get there ;D

That a miggy, Aaron?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

aaronjb

« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2014, 15:20:02 »

Nope, the Ranger  :y and I lied, 10.3s to 60.

Of course it needs almost as much power (200hp) and a lot more torque (346lb/ft) to do it ;D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2014, 15:39:45 »

Nope, the Ranger  :y and I lied, 10.3s to 60.

Of course it needs almost as much power (200hp) and a lot more torque (346lb/ft) to do it ;D

Aha! got ya lol  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 21 October 2014, 15:46:02 »

Crikey that's slow :o warmed up, the plod 3.2 with a proper gearbox is sub 7 seconds... which is nice 8)

aaronjb

« Reply #7 on: 21 October 2014, 15:54:41 »

8.5 is the book figure - I can easily see getting down to 7.something, but under 7 seconds is an achievement.. then again, shorter diff on the Plod?

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 21 October 2014, 16:10:26 »

8.5 is the book figure - I can easily see getting down to 7.something, but under 7 seconds is an achievement.. then again, shorter diff on the Plod?
Diff is 3.7:1... was timed using the cd player ::) :-X so might be 6.9999 seconds ;D but it's certainly quick enough to worry a cautious motorbicyclist, although being white helps with that ;D

Should add, warmed up means upto temp rather than tuned... the gearbox is an absolute dog when it's cold... ie I have to select reverse whilst rolling down the drive ::) more so since removing all the play from the lever support.
« Last Edit: 21 October 2014, 16:13:12 by The moron who doesn't play well with others... »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 October 2014, 16:15:22 »

Once it has overcome it's initial inertia the Omega can surprise a few cars.

From 50 MPH upwards it's quite sprightly for an old dowager.  :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 October 2014, 16:17:28 »

One up and low on petrol my 2.6 will match that ...........on a good day. :y

aaronjb

« Reply #11 on: 21 October 2014, 16:20:25 »

Should add, warmed up means upto temp rather than tuned... the gearbox is an absolute dog when it's cold... ie I have to select reverse whilst rolling down the drive ::) more so since removing all the play from the lever support.

;D ;D Sounds like my old Allegro.. ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 October 2014, 16:25:36 »

;D ;D Sounds like my old Allegro.. ;)

Britain at it's best. :y

Concorde.......Spitfire ....Hurricane......Mallard....Flying Scotsman.....Austin All-aggro.

I envy you, Aaron. :)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 October 2014, 16:29:05 »

One up and low on petrol my 2.6 will match that ...........on a good day. :y

Do you get varying 0-60 times opti? mine ranges from 10.6 to 8.7!!! lol (2.5 v6). is that normal?

RIP Paul Lovejoy

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 October 2014, 16:32:02 »

I know Autocar etc make their own 0-60 figures. Sometimes turn out slower than the brochure claims, sometimes (well, often the case with Luton, who always undersold their cars, almost as a matter of course) turned out to be quicker.

Seem to recall motoring press laughing at the Vx-claimed Carlton GSi 0-60 time of 8 seconds, or thereabouts. As the Astra GTE, several hundred kgs lighter would do it in almost that same time. Only for the fat old tubby Carlton to manage it in 6.6secs! (this is from memory, may be talking out my exhaust - it was 20+ years ago, and I was under 10, so y'know  :D)

So would be a joy to hear what the true 0-60 time of the Omegas is. Aware that diffs make a fair old difference. Anyone got an old Autocar with the real-world 0-60 times for a V6??
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 18 queries.