Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 2982126 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #15975 on: 01 April 2018, 15:57:21 »

Reasonable job? Complexity of Jag jobs is a concern  :-\
Simple enough, though a 2nd set of hands was really needed lifting bump on and off, as with front undertray still attached to it, its difficult to manoeuvre without banging against paintwork.  It is nicely screwed together and designed in such a way to come apart easy.

And to lift to a comfortable height, 2 jacks needed really.

But by far the biggest thing a struggle with on it doing regular maintenance is putting the wheels back on. I seem to lack the knack. They a fikkkin heavy, and you have to line up all 5 studs (whilst growing square danglies), then get a nut on before the bugger falls off again.  And with the rears, which I've never removed, being even larger, I can see that being a fun task ;D

Whilst in there, I looked at how to get to the (dealer only adjustable) UK <> Euro headlight beam adjuster lever, and think reachable by undoing the 5 bolts hold front of wheelarch liner in place. O/S might need oil cooler slackened off though.

My ownership of the VW and your Jag ownership, has driven home how easy the Omega is to work on. Maybe heavy on fuel but cheap parts, easy to fit most things and zero depreciation counts for an awful lot. 

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15976 on: 01 April 2018, 16:08:51 »

Zero depreciation is easy on anything: don't pay more than £1000, and keep it for years.
But you can do better; pay less than £500(used to be £100 15 years ago) and don't spend anything on it that you don't have to. That's the cheapest way to do over 30k miles a year.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #15977 on: 01 April 2018, 16:14:26 »

That’s where I am with the Omega...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15978 on: 01 April 2018, 16:55:46 »

Reasonable job? Complexity of Jag jobs is a concern  :-\
Simple enough, though a 2nd set of hands was really needed lifting bump on and off, as with front undertray still attached to it, its difficult to manoeuvre without banging against paintwork.  It is nicely screwed together and designed in such a way to come apart easy.

And to lift to a comfortable height, 2 jacks needed really.

But by far the biggest thing a struggle with on it doing regular maintenance is putting the wheels back on. I seem to lack the knack. They a fikkkin heavy, and you have to line up all 5 studs (whilst growing square danglies), then get a nut on before the bugger falls off again.  And with the rears, which I've never removed, being even larger, I can see that being a fun task ;D

Whilst in there, I looked at how to get to the (dealer only adjustable) UK <> Euro headlight beam adjuster lever, and think reachable by undoing the 5 bolts hold front of wheelarch liner in place. O/S might need oil cooler slackened off though.

My ownership of the VW and your Jag ownership, has driven home how easy the Omega is to work on. Maybe heavy on fuel but cheap parts, easy to fit most things and zero depreciation counts for an awful lot.
I don't think its particularly taxing to work on, its just the forums for the current models are a bit crap, full of pompous idiots with the attitude only dealers can open the bonnet
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15979 on: 01 April 2018, 22:44:14 »

Certain done similar with older cars STEMO :y, but think I struggle with that method on this, but will certainly give it a go next time :y

Biggest issue, as the hub is studded, the wheel has to be just right so all stud holes line up perfectly when lifting on (and not helped by my back due to the height being inconvenient), whereas most cars have had in the last 15yrs have used wheelbolts instead, so just lift onto hub, then rotate to line up holes (except the Rover, but they were so light, it was easy)

About time you grow a pair and get on with it! Wheels too heavy ::) ::) :D :D
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15980 on: 01 April 2018, 23:33:41 »

I was going to send a wambulance full of MTFU pills over for Christmas, but so many people at work need both, that they're on back order...  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15981 on: 02 April 2018, 10:55:03 »

Next time one of you are passing, feel free to demonstrate your knack for doing it ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15982 on: 02 April 2018, 16:56:56 »

Pottered about the garage, tidying up the tools and spares that had got scattered all over the place.

It would be much tidier if I could get rid of all the stuff from work that's cluttering it up  >:(
Grumpy old man

Dr_Syn

• Atherton
    • 2001 Omega 2.6CDX Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #15983 on: 02 April 2018, 21:41:53 »

This weekend I got the Omega back on the road for the first time since I picked it up.

The power steering is now fixed thanks to a pipe from gstylebaby from his pre facelift.  It fitted, but the route of the single pipe of the pre facelift is made up of two pipes on the F/L, I can only assume this was done to make if easier for the technicians as it was a swine to manipulate into position on both sides at once.

Having done this, it was a case of rebuilding the front end along with a new condenser and dryer unit. 

I drilled out the sheared bolt on the battery tray and got a satisfactory fit with a bolt and clamp from a Fiesta that omegod provided.

I replaced the broken radiator cover with a non broken one, again thanks to omegod.

I treated her to fresh oil and a full set of filters (I think the fuel filter was original!)

I replaced the front discs and pads and my neighbour kindly overhauled the calipers for me.  I bled the whole system with new brake fluid which again was ancient, it was almost brown infact and has given a whole new feel to the brakes.  While doing this I fitted a replacement Xenon level sensor as the one already on the car had been put onto the wishbone with Tiewraps.

Finally, I replaced the wipers and the ash tray in the front console which had broken its catch and refused to close.

Now I can see about getting the cambelt and the auto box done and getting the aircon regassed.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15984 on: 02 April 2018, 23:41:36 »

De-bushed a pair of wishbones ready for polly bushes.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15985 on: 03 April 2018, 17:21:13 »

Fixed a non working reverse light temporarily.  I suspect I'll have to get in there and give it a proper clean, when I'm not in a hurry.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15986 on: 03 April 2018, 20:26:30 »

Been getting the oil pressure light flashing on round sweeping bends the last day or so... Checked it, took 2.5 litres...  :-[
Onanists always think outside the box.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15987 on: 03 April 2018, 20:31:31 »

Replaced 2/4/6 dispack on the daily.

Ordered one to replace the one I've now stolen off the project car.  :-[

aaronjb

« Reply #15988 on: 04 April 2018, 07:54:13 »

Fitted one seat and seat runner, sat in it and made brum noises ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #15989 on: 04 April 2018, 09:19:24 »

Fitted one seat and seat runner, sat in it and made brum noises ;D
Ahh, yes. I remember doing that. :D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.