Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: glow plugs ??  (Read 1320 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
glow plugs ??
« on: 05 September 2019, 21:56:15 »

having had mainly diesel cars most of my driving life i should know this but i don,t . " in laymans terms can somebody tell me please how to check if glow plugs are doing what they supposed to.  :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: glow plugs ??
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2019, 22:01:09 »

Why do you suspect that they are not?

Ron.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2019, 22:59:20 »

You can check with a multimeter if there is 12v going through the wires to them. You can remove them one at a time and connect 12v to them and see if they glow red hot.You can leave them in place and check them resistance, which should be an indicator that they are healthy.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2019, 23:42:23 »

And they get HOT bloody quick ....  :-[

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 September 2019, 23:43:34 »

having had mainly diesel cars most of my driving life i should know this but i don,t . " in laymans terms can somebody tell me please how to check if glow plugs are doing what they supposed to.  :y

If the glow plug light is coming back on again after the car has started, your car is telling you there's a fault in one of them or maybe the glowplug relay.

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2019, 09:32:49 »

Ron.
its my daughter in-laws pug ., sluggish starting , first start from overnight, will sometimes run the battery down. no lights on dash when driving. i intend to check the battery & alternator tomorrow. i suspect it may be the glow plugs as its on a 02 plate , she,s had the car from new & they have never been replaced.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 September 2019, 14:17:02 »

Ron.
its my daughter in-laws pug ., sluggish starting , first start from overnight, will sometimes run the battery down. no lights on dash when driving. i intend to check the battery & alternator tomorrow. i suspect it may be the glow plugs as its on a 02 plate , she,s had the car from new & they have never been replaced.

From what I understand,  there are O rings in or around the injectors that, when they fail, allow air into the system and fuel to drain back into the tank so on the first start of the day the the fuel pump needs to drag fuel up from the tank first.  :-\

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 September 2019, 14:46:59 »

Ron.
well battery was holding 12.5v  with engine running 14.4v. alternator doing what its intended. glow plugs crap so changed them. alls well now. :y :y

From what I understand,  there are O rings in or around the injectors that, when they fail, allow air into the system and fuel to drain back into the tank so on the first start of the day the the fuel pump needs to drag fuel up from the tank first.  :-\

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2019, 15:03:22 »

....well battery was holding 12.5v  with engine running 14.4v. alternator doing what its intended. glow plugs crap so changed them. alls well now. :y :y

Sorted  :y I hope they were the cheap type plugs. Lad next door used to have a diseasal Insignia,  glow plugs for that were stupidly expensive ... I forget now why
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.