Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alpine F1, Dynaudio System 340  (Read 2603 times)

laughjimbo

• Hertfordshire, UK
    • View Profile
Alpine F1, Dynaudio System 340
« on: 29 April 2007, 13:33:01 »

Just wondering if anyone has put any high end audio into a meega.  Want to know if it is pretty good for sound as some cars you can put anything in them and they sound crap!!I used to run a fairly expensive system in one of my other cars and now I want to put it into my MV6 saloon.
I can wait no longer and as I used to install this stuff years ago, i have no excuse, i am going to have to put it all in. This is the kit that i have got to put in, i would appreciate comments on the kit.
Alpine CDA-7990 F1 Head unit
Dynaudio System 340 3 Way Component Speakers (front)
Diamond Audio D7 6x50 Watts RMS Amp (4 of the channels bridged to give 2 x 200 Watts RMS to drive Dyns)
DLS A6 Mono Amp for Quality Bass (up to 1200W RMS @ 1 ohm)
Diamond Audio 10" x 2 Subs in appox 1.3 cu ft sealed box for sounds quality

I haven't thought about putting anything in the rear doors at the moment as i would need to buy these but i am thinking another set of dyns like the 260GT but i usually have them faded out when i am in the car on my own. I love sound quality, and think that the meega would be a good car as it sounds quite dead, sonically and would give a great sound. Not into the really loud boom boxes,just quality. That load of gear listed above cost me about £6000 3 or so years ago without all the cabling and sound deadening.

Look forwards to some replies!!
 :y
1999 Omega 3.0 MV6 Saloon Manual, 2001 Volvo V70 T5 Manual, 1996 Mitsubishi Delica L400 Jasper 4x4

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Alpine F1, Dynaudio System 340
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2007, 08:31:52 »

Well......thats nothing like the approach I would take!

My route would be to amp the existing door speakers with approx 30W RMS......filter the bass out at about 130Hz to these units...

Then add a nice sub to the boot to give bass fill in......

The factory speakers are pretty good and realy show them selves weel when amped...

As always with door speakers, you dont want bass out of them as it simply rattles the door actuator rods and the volume and construction of the door assemblies is not ideal for low frequencies....

Access to the door speaker cables is easy as they are all present at a large multiway connector in the drivers foot well....

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2007, 08:33:40 »

Ow yes....I note the usual sealed enclosure for the bass units......one day these car audio people will learn how to design ported enclosures properly........

laughjimbo

• Hertfordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2007, 09:27:48 »

The reason i want to replace the factory speakers is that they give out no real sound quality at all compared to the dynaudio units or other comparable speakers. Capping off the bass from the mids would increase the sound i know but the tweeters just cannot deliver decent crisp vocals or a good sound stage. Sorry to sound like a boffin but i used to be really into this stuff some years ago but never installed anything into a Meega. I am not knocking the omega sound system but i want that bit extra. I have listened to the Bose systems and they just sound too bassy with no realy mid range or even mid bass (110 hz  -  800 hz), so vocals sound muffled and the bass is over powering. Even though i used to run a pair of 10" subs, they sound so tight that most of the time you don't know they are there unless you are listening to tracks that have a lot of bass guitar in them or something and decent drumming, that is where you also need a good front end to the system.
Thanks for the comments though, much appreciated!!   ;) ;) :y
1999 Omega 3.0 MV6 Saloon Manual, 2001 Volvo V70 T5 Manual, 1996 Mitsubishi Delica L400 Jasper 4x4

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2007, 10:12:56 »

Try the standard door speakers driven by a decent amp. You will be surprised. The head unit amps are responsible for most flaws in an Omega sound system IMO. Once relieved of trying to generate deep bass without any cabinet volume the standard speakers will generate more than enough volume too. Remember they were designed to work with 18 W RMS so they are efficient!

I wouldn't bother to spend a fortune on rear door speakers either. They make so little contribution to the sound that they may as well stay standard too.

So, I would start by installing your head unit, amp and sub, feeding the standard speakers, and see what you think. Go easy on the power into the standard door speakers though!

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2007, 10:29:51 »

Red rag to a bull....as I am very into REAL Hifi......including design work (component level)....

You are not going to get sound quality from a car....period.....crap power supply setup, noisey switch mode converters in the amps, awful flexible shell......its not gonna happen.....you have to aim for a ood compromised setup

As for the door speakers.....try them.....its surprising what how good they are.

What you are forgeting is that the weak link in the standard systems is....the amps...they are what are compressing certain ranges in the frequencey spectrum.

I would still sudgest going the route described......try it....if you then want to upgrade the doorspeakers you can as the wiring is in place, the amps are in place and you can take a staged approach...

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2007, 11:56:12 »

Red rag to a bull....as I am very into REAL Hifi......including design work (component level)....

What sort of system to you run at home?  I am also into REAL Hi-Fi.  I can't afford the real top end stuff but my kit is better than the lowest priced.  Mid range I suppose describes it.  

I also live in the town where Stereo (or binaural to give it is original name) sound was invented at the EMI Central Research Labs by a hero of mine, Alan Dower Blumlein.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2007, 13:28:43 »

Jimbo, trust me, Mark REALLY knows what he is talking about!  ;D

Try the staged approach.  I found the standard speakers respond very well to being amped and a sub added to the equation.

If you don't like them, then (try and) swap them over, but be warned, you will need a shallow mounting.

The Administrator.

laughjimbo

• Hertfordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 April 2007, 15:23:39 »

Thanks guys for all that. I know a fair bit about car hi fi as i used to work for Prestige some years ago installing competition systems. I alread have the kit sitting in my loft at the moment, and that is right it is impossible to get good sound quality in a car. I have got to sound deaden the car , then build some door builds for my Dyn's then build some kickwell builds, looks as if i can get the mids and tweets fairly on axis.
Always liked Alpine and Dynaudio gear, get a good sound, not all over the place, used to do some Point of reference competitions in the early 90's using pheonix gold amps and boston acoustics components.
Still thanks for the comments they are much appreciated. When i eventually start to install this stuff i will let you all know how it goes.
Cheers

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 April 2007, 17:13:22 »

Well given the need to build fancy door cards....the staged approach sounds even more appealing.

I have to say that £6000 on car audio is silly money....

laughjimbo

• Hertfordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 May 2007, 12:58:50 »

I know £6000 is loads of money but when i bought the stuff i could easily afford it but would not spend that now. I have ahd that system in a few cars and as you know every car sounds different. Been installed in Volvo V40, Volvo V70, Golf Mk 6 GTi and soon my MV6. I have also got a decent digital equaliser which will allow me to change the time alignment to get the staging good (only for me the dfriver though) but don't really want to put it in unless i have to. The Diamond Audio D7 amplifier is good too cause working with my Alpine F1 head unit there is hardly any colouration to the music. I have to say that i have tried many component speakers over the years and liked a few (Boston Pro, DLS Iridium 3 Ways and Dynaudio 2 and 3 way) but i reackon in my opinion for the type of music i like the Dyn's are the best.
My music is my only vice now, with a wife and 3 kids i feel i really need it now.
Cheers

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.