Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tracing your car's history...  (Read 4495 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing your car's history...
« Reply #15 on: 26 November 2018, 13:11:26 »

brick wall...  :'(

I've narrowed it down to (theoretically) two garages, I've called the Dealers who bought those sites, Lookers, who have nothing on their system, put through to Vaux's Customer Services, who couldn't find my VIN on the system (!) and so werent able to help.
Had a brainwave - the car was, as part of a Fleet, of course serviced by a Main Dealer until 2002, this would in theory be the same Dealer that sold it in the first place. If they have even one record of my car being serviced there, then bingo, that should be the original retailer. ... So called the physical site of the one remaining old dealer - which are no longer sales, but just a parts dept, the guy was very helpful, tried the Lookers and the GM system. Can prove the car exists (thank God my car hasn't been fictitious for all these years)but nothing regarding anything else. Again, he can only search as far back as when they were bought out, so 2007ish, nothing before.

No dusty old ledgers with lists of cars serviced there, I did ask! Unless I can find the old service manual (neither me nor the previous owner are sure we ever had it) I'm stumped for now...   :-\

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 November 2018, 16:39:56 »

I worked for Autolease back in the day (Birmingham based, changed to Loyds TSB autolease and now lex autolease )
they leased to many companys nationwide ,purchasing from many dealers and cars got serviced local to where the client was
I suspect there are many such fleet lease companys ,even just in Brum  :-\

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 26 November 2018, 17:24:29 »

I've narrowed it down to (theoretically) two garages, I've called the Dealers who bought those sites, Lookers, who have nothing on their system, put through to Vaux's Customer Services, who couldn't find my VIN on the system (!) and so werent able to help.
Had a brainwave - the car was, as part of a Fleet, of course serviced by a Main Dealer until 2002, this would in theory be the same Dealer that sold it in the first place. If they have even one record of my car being serviced there, then bingo, that should be the original retailer. ... So called the physical site of the one remaining old dealer - which are no longer sales, but just a parts dept, the guy was very helpful, tried the Lookers and the GM system. Can prove the car exists (thank God my car hasn't been fictitious for all these years)but nothing regarding anything else. Again, he can only search as far back as when they were bought out, so 2007ish, nothing before.

No dusty old ledgers with lists of cars serviced there, I did ask! Unless I can find the old service manual (neither me nor the previous owner are sure we ever had it) I'm stumped for now...   :-\
Oh well. Now that that's over, life is waiting for you.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 November 2018, 20:27:31 »

Funny you should say that. I remember some confirmed cases of Ford cars managing to "depart" the Dagenham, or was it Halewood, plant in the 1970's without being registered i.e. they had been nicked and officially never built!! ;D ;)

Rather like the Jonny Cash hit, one piece at a time, but in these cases it was the whole car!

« Last Edit: 26 November 2018, 20:29:18 by Lizzie Zoom »

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 November 2018, 20:50:30 »

Curious why you’d like the info? Mine was down in Hereford (wherever that is 😂). And had it’s first oil change after 22k miles according to the book. That service schedule has increased to once a month 😂😂😂😂
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 November 2018, 21:01:55 »

Funny you should say that. I remember some confirmed cases of Ford cars managing to "depart" the Dagenham, or was it Halewood, plant in the 1970's without being registered i.e. they had been nicked and officially never built!! ;D ;)

Rather like the Jonny Cash hit, one piece at a time, but in these cases it was the whole car!
[/quote]

I drink with a couple of old Ford lads, they have some good tales from the old days, if one of their own cars was going down the line they tended to get all the extras possible bolted to them, one of them managed to cobble together a 4 door RS2000 allegedly
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 November 2018, 21:10:11 »

That probably happened at all car plants it certainly did at Ellesmere Port :-X

STEMO

« Reply #22 on: 26 November 2018, 21:32:43 »

When I worked at Ellesmere Port one lad collapsed right outside the security lodge, went down with a hell of a thump. When they undid his huge overcoat, he had an engine block strapped around his neck.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 November 2018, 21:39:01 »

That probably happened at all car plants it certainly did at Ellesmere Port :-X

Apart from the British Leyland plants covered by Red Robbo.  There they built no cars even to nick or load with extras! :D ;)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 November 2018, 21:42:22 »

Would anyone have wanted to nick one of their cars :D ;D ;D ;D

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 November 2018, 22:44:42 »

Just to answer a couple of Qs, I'm interested because ...

1. I think it's interesting discovering history
2. I'm actually trying to get a new set of numberplates made up, and if I'm going to get them, they might as well be the 'most right' they can be. So finding the original dealer's name on them would be brilliant.

I worked for Autolease back in the day (Birmingham based, changed to Loyds TSB autolease and now lex autolease )
they leased to many companys nationwide ,purchasing from many dealers and cars got serviced local to where the client was

That's in interesting spin, thanks. I've noticed my oldest MoT certificate from when the car should have still been a company car was MoT'd in Staffordshire!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 November 2018, 08:54:21 »

If it started out life as a lease car the chances are pretty high that it wouldn't have dealer plates on it.Lease companies tend to supply the dealer with a set of overmats[complete with their logo on them] and a set of plates with for example Lex Autolease where the dealer name would normally be.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 November 2018, 10:29:25 »

Would anyone have wanted to nick one of their cars :D ;D ;D ;D

Very true!! ;D ;D :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 November 2018, 10:37:25 »

Just to answer a couple of Qs, I'm interested because ...

1. I think it's interesting discovering history
2. I'm actually trying to get a new set of numberplates made up, and if I'm going to get them, they might as well be the 'most right' they can be. So finding the original dealer's name on them would be brilliant.

That's in interesting spin, thanks. I've noticed my oldest MoT certificate from when the car should have still been a company car was MoT'd in Staffordshire!

Yes, that is really possible in the case of cars supplied by a lease company as Dave has stated.  I had company cars leased by my company centrally, in London, but they were all looked after by my local Vx dealer in Patchway, Bristol.  Therefore where the lease was taken out can bear no relationship with the service history.

As for the "right" plates; I just got my Vx main dealer to supply a new set with all the Vauxhall details on it.  That is probably the best you are going to get, especially if your car is an ex-lease vehicle from the likes of Autolease. ;)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 November 2018, 11:59:38 »

All good info, ta!  :y

Sadly I have zero clue who actually leased her / who the Company car actually belonged to etc. I'll hold my hands up I'm not entirely clued up on how 'a company car' process works. Having never owned a car newer than 15 years  :D ;D :D

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.