Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.6 oil in water  (Read 2028 times)

Bigguyxjr

• Felixstowe ,Suffolk
    • 2.6V6 CD 2001
    • View Profile
2.6 oil in water
« on: 14 October 2012, 19:45:06 »

Hi all i have discovered oil  in coolent header tank after topping up after low coolent and low oil warnings .Could this be anything other than a head gasket as engine purs like a kitten.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
Re: 2.6 oil in water
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2012, 19:46:09 »

oil  in coolent header tank after topping up after low coolent and low oil warnings
Oil cooler knackered mate. Ideally don`t drive it until replaced http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90596.0
« Last Edit: 14 October 2012, 19:47:59 by RobG »
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

albitz

« Reply #2 on: 14 October 2012, 19:48:11 »

It isnt the head gasket.your oil cooler is leaking.Not a five minute job,but nowhere near the level of a head gasket change.
I believe theres a guide in the relevant section on how to replace the oil cooler.Worst part of the job,is all the flushing you have to do afterwards.Try not to drive the car until its fixed if possible,as that only makes things worse. :y

I did see the message that someone else has posted,but after typing that lot,I wasnt going to bin it. :P ;D

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2012, 19:49:57 »

It isnt the head gasket.your oil cooler is leaking.Not a five minute job,but nowhere near the level of a head gasket change.
I believe theres a guide in the relevant section on how to replace the oil cooler.Worst part of the job,is all the flushing you have to do afterwards.Try not to drive the car until its fixed if possible,as that only makes things worse. :y

I did see the message that someone else has posted,but after typing that lot,I wasnt going to bin it. :P ;D
See my reply ^^^^^^^^^^ ::) ::) :P
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2012, 19:54:45 »

Oil cooler failed.

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2012, 20:09:14 »

See the maintanence guides for oil cooler replacment.
Not a hard job to do but as said the hardest part is flushing the oil out of the cooling system. i used a low foam washing detergent in the cooling system and then kept flushing untill the water came out clean, then refilled with a 50% coolent water mix.
NOT HEAD GASKET NOT HEAD GASKET NOT HEAD GASKET NOT HEAD GASKET NOT HEAD GASKET NOT HEAD GASKET !!!
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 October 2012, 08:42:27 »

As othes said, most unlikely to be the HG. Oil cooler.

Easy enough job, but needs some crowsfoot spanners. Do NOT be tempted to bend oil pipes.

Flushing will be an ongoing thing for a week or 2 after.
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 October 2012, 13:25:27 »

Pretty much phsically impossible to be the headgasket  :y

Bigguyxjr

• Felixstowe ,Suffolk
    • 2.6V6 CD 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 October 2012, 19:49:29 »

Thanks for all your advice folks , all i need now is a set of crows feet and a set of overals to fit the wife .
Well it is "HER CAR"  ;D

albitz

« Reply #9 on: 17 October 2012, 19:52:16 »

;D ;D :y

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 October 2012, 21:48:46 »

Good luck with the flushing of the system, remember that when you remove the bottom rad hose you dont empty the whole system only the rad so to empty the whole system you have to remove the water pump, but it is impractical to do every time you flush. Low foam washing liquid is cheap and effective and works like a washing machine, the detergent breaks the oil down but you may need to do it several times.
Also when you have got the system 90% clean remove the coolant bottle and clean seperatly as this is a prime place for the oil to stay.
as said fush flush flush.
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 October 2012, 21:59:39 »

Good luck with the flushing of the system, remember that when you remove the bottom rad hose you dont empty the whole system only the rad so to empty the whole system you have to remove the water pump, but it is impractical to do every time you flush. Low foam washing liquid is cheap and effective and works like a washing machine, the detergent breaks the oil down but you may need to do it several times.
Also when you have got the system 90% clean remove the coolant bottle and clean seperatly as this is a prime place for the oil to stay.
as said fush flush flush.

When we did my mates a few years back we used a low-foam biological type clothes detergent that came in powder form . Mixed it with warm water first to dissolve then added to the system. Run engine until well warm (thermostat fully open heater on max hot) then leave to stand for 4-5 hours, then run until well warm again... leave to stand for 4 hours..... drain .. Repeat ad nauseam  we did this every day for a week or more until no signs of oil were apparent ..once it was clean we then did about 5 flushes of plain water, same procedure each time..... before going the 50% antifreeze soultion..... time consuming and boring .. but needs to be done  :( 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.