Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Car Tax Rip Off?  (Read 5344 times)

Richard Millican

• Anglesey, uk
    • 2003 Omega 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Car Tax Rip Off?
« on: 08 July 2018, 08:02:48 »

Hey,

Ive had a few Omega's over the years, I've had 2.5 V6, 2,6 V6, and an early 2.5 (BMW) Omega Diesel... I've now got a 2.2 CDX Auto, Petrol as a "Normal" car to sit alongside my 1993 Firebird V6 and 1993 Camaro V6

But, Its £315 a year to tax.. How can this be? all of the above mentioned vehicles have never been more than the lower Tax bracket??

I've looked at the V5 that states my Omega will create almost Half a Pound (weight) of Carbon Dioxide if it drives for 1000 Metres.  Now, as no "Physical-matter" can be created from nothing, if i were to Weigh my car, Drive it 1000 Metres, and weigh it again, it should have shed approximately 3 Pounds MINIMUM to give creation to half a pound of carbon dioxide... furthermore if this CO2 is in Gas form it would occupy a physical area greater than the area of the entire car?!!!

At the risk of annoying tree huggers (whether or not they're having a day off pushing depressed dolphins back into the sea).. this is BS of a gobsmacking quantity!!

Anybody out there with a 2.2 cyl petrol ... how much is your tax??

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: Car Tax Rip Off?
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2018, 08:32:49 »

From memory, our 2.2 ‘03 auto was the same £300ish. Afraid it’s a fact of life. The UK gov’t would prefer you to drive something newer and (by their definition) “greener. So if you choose not to, you pay for the privilege.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 July 2018, 08:38:40 »

Can't answer as to a 2.2 as I've never had one.Having just this weekend re-taxed my Volvo I found the price over last year has risen slightly and paying it by monthly DD it comes to £267+shrapnel.My Omega is still at present on the old rate the Volvo was on so will no doubt increase when it comes due again.The Volvo is a 2.4 five cylinder petrol and Omega a 3 V6,both are year 2000 reg.I think rates altered for cars registered sometime after a certain date in 2001?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 July 2018, 09:49:14 »

Post March 2001 reg get slightly higher band, luckily we avoid stupid £500+ rate.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 July 2018, 10:28:30 »

Do you honestly think that the government cares a fig about CO2 emissions? They know, as most informed people do, that such things are irrelevant and merely a smoke screen for their true aim of ripping us off.
Why do they want us to buy new? There's a motor industry lobby.....

Ron.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 July 2018, 16:51:48 »

I've looked at the V5 that states my Omega will create almost Half a Pound (weight) of Carbon Dioxide if it drives for 1000 Metres.  Now, as no "Physical-matter" can be created from nothing, if i were to Weigh my car, Drive it 1000 Metres, and weigh it again, it should have shed approximately 3 Pounds MINIMUM to give creation to half a pound of carbon dioxide... furthermore if this CO2 is in Gas form it would occupy a physical area greater than the area of the entire car?!!!

At the risk of annoying tree huggers (whether or not they're having a day off pushing depressed dolphins back into the sea).. this is BS of a gobsmacking quantity!!

You aren't understanding the chemistry. The engine breaths in air and lots of it, adds fuel, burns the mix and expels the resultant products. The vast majority of the Oxygen in the "Carbon Dioxide" comes from the air the engine breathes in. For every 1Kg of fuel burnt, the engine must breath in 14.5 Kg of oxygen. 14.5Kg of oxygen does indeed occupy a volume greater than the volume of the car.

Fuel is a hydrocarbon - made up mostly of Hydrogen and Carbon. Air is a mix of mainly Nitrogen (78%) and Oxygen (20%). The burning process changes Hydrogen (H), Carbon (C) and Oxygen (O) into Water (H2O) and Carbon Dioxide (C02). Nitrogen is basically inert.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 July 2018, 17:05:11 »

'51-' 07 Omegas will ALL be £315

Pre '51 are all £255...

Get over it ;)

That's to say, you can hardly blame the Government/ecomentalists for your surprise at something that is freely available public information because you simply failed to research it before buying... ::)
« Last Edit: 08 July 2018, 17:13:11 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 July 2018, 17:41:56 »

Post March 2001 reg get slightly higher band, luckily we avoid stupid £500+ rate.

Agreed. I shouldn't have to pay the same rate of road tax for an Indian car as one manufactured by Vauxhall. It really pisses me off.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 July 2018, 17:59:09 »

Agreed. I shouldn't have to pay the same rate of road tax for an Indian car as one manufactured by Vauxhall. It really pisses me off.

My lift share buddy’s 3.0 Twin Turbo petrol V6 is £140/yr!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 July 2018, 18:09:34 »

My lift share buddy’s 3.0 Twin Turbo petrol V6 is £140/yr!
Which conveniently ignores the initial Showroom tax which is upto £2070... ::)

If he keeps the car four years he will effectively have paid £650 a year to tax it ::)

BTW, if it's fleaced he will be paying the initial lump in his payments/deposit, so it cannot be ignored from the equation...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 July 2018, 22:47:11 »

Hey,

Ive had a few Omega's over the years, I've had 2.5 V6, 2,6 V6, and an early 2.5 (BMW) Omega Diesel... I've now got a 2.2 CDX Auto, Petrol as a "Normal" car to sit alongside my 1993 Firebird V6 and 1993 Camaro V6

But, Its £315 a year to tax.. How can this be? all of the above mentioned vehicles have never been more than the lower Tax bracket??

Think yourself lucky ,€710 , or €790 if paid in six month payments , per year for a 2.0lt in this simple little country.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 July 2018, 23:41:44 »

The money for heavily subsidised windmills & solar panels & all of the back up fossil fueled power stations has to come from somewhere. Look on the bright side all these CO2 saving renewables along with wood pellet (formerly coal fired) power stations don't save any CO2 or actually add more than using gas power stations. Don't worry between 2030 and 40 it will all be renewables but not many people will be able to afford much at £7.50 t0 £15 per kwh, but it will give the tree huggers a warm rosy feeling while everybody else freezes.

All those that back renewables, don't say you haven't been warned about the electricity price implications and this is all a shock out of the blue.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 July 2018, 01:17:35 »

Hey,

Agreed when did it suddenly jump to over £300+ for a desmond  I DEMAND a refund  >:(
Hang on a minute From 2011 to 2017 VED has increased by the rate of inflation (RPI)
It`s just been gradually increasing every year  ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 July 2018, 08:40:07 »

There's no logic to it. Manufactures just manipulated their emmision figure to put their cars in lower bands. I've an 05 700cc Smart Roadster, its road tax is around £120 whereas my 08 1000cc Smart Fortwo (451) is £30 a year to tax. My 07 Merc R320 is £500+ a year but the newer R350 .... basically the same 3.0 engine ) is £300something to tax.  :-\

aaronjb

« Reply #14 on: 09 July 2018, 08:54:24 »

my 08 1000cc Smart Fortwo (451) is £30 a year to tax.

We've been looking at these for Louise the last few days - all the traders rattle on about £0 road tax, but as far as I can tell they're all £30/yr like yours.. but then, how many traders are actually honest and accurate ;D

Can't figure out if we want one with PAS (incredibly rare, it seems) or not.. for me, I'd happily live without PAS, but she'll be learnering in it and jumping between that and the instructors Yaris (which has PAS, of course). </drift>
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.