Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for mechanic for 2.6 v6  (Read 4427 times)

dcjg85

• Burton upon Trent - Staffordshire
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
Looking for mechanic for 2.6 v6
« on: 05 May 2018, 17:19:28 »

Hi all,

As you will see my posts on here have been few and far between, however I am now looking for someone who is knowledgeable with the 2.6 V6 engine in the Omega.

Long story short, I lost my father 2 years ago and his Omega was left standing at the time (other priories got in the way). Since then the car was low loaded to my late fathers mechanic as she wouldn't start. The mechanic said all the valves were bent in the engine and he suggested replacing the engine which was agreed to at the time. (not sure how true this was, as I am not a mechanic, but took him at face value, my first mistake in hindsight)

The car is now back with me, but the are various bits that are blatantly still not right, vacuum hoses not connected etc.

I fully appreciate that from a cost point of view there is probably no point working on this, however this car has great sentimental value to me and I am looking for someone who can help me get her road worthy again. I would be willing to pay for your time and travel, as I want to see her restored to her former glory.

If anyone is willing to have a look at her with me, or knows someone who can be trusted to take this on, I would very much appreciate you contacting me.

Thanks in advance,

Dan.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for mechanic for 2.6 v6
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2018, 17:24:16 »

Cant help im afriad but if all the Valves are bent then it must have had a Cambelt Fail at some point, that doesn't go unnoticed.

dcjg85

• Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2018, 17:56:14 »

Thanks zirk, I am pretty confident all belts looked intact and the last time the car was driven was by me as a funeral car. The car then sat un-driven until going to the mechanic. Therefore based on your comment I am guessing I was probably misled, lesson learnt on that one.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2018, 18:27:57 »

I'm in Swad
I've recently purchased a 53 plate 2.6 omega B2
whilst the 2.6 v6 is new ground to me (having driven carltons for 18 years ) i am pretty good on the spanners
(recently rebuilt a 16v 1.2 engine completely ,sump plug up to coil pack cover)
and I've lost count of how many OHC engines i've built and repaired
I have diagnostics,mechanical knowledge and a good selection of tools
I also have ,as do you , the knowledge base of this forum and it's helpful members  :y
I would be prepared to have a look,check the basics
I can't do you a sump plug to eco tec plastic cover rebuild though  ;D

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2018, 22:43:58 »

If its been stood for a while and assuming its not a imobilizer chip or key issue, my call would be Crank Sensor.

Do a Pedal Trick on the car and post up Codes, if any.
« Last Edit: 05 May 2018, 22:49:28 by zirk »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2018, 23:14:13 »

If Dave can't help you, and he is one of the good blokes on here (of whom there are many - and a few, very few unpleasant types, and we all know who they are) - there is someone in particular that I could recommend - one of the kindest men that you could meet and a real Omega expert - but not without his knowledge or permission. If he is reading this he will straightaway recognise himself and could even contact you.

Ron.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2018, 01:03:52 »

If its been stood for a while and assuming its not a imobilizer chip or key issue, my call would be Crank Sensor.

Do a Pedal Trick on the car and post up Codes, if any.
I understood the OP to mean that the mechanic replaced the engine that wouldn't start? Car returned without everything properly reconnected? And presumably car is starting but not running correctly?

I find it useful to video the blink sequence (from the pedal or paperclip tricks) on my phone and then play it back. Easier to count correctly when there is more than one fault. 

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2018, 02:38:01 »

I can stick my diagnostic laptop on it , read the modules, look at live data (if the engine does run)
plus having the same car ,side to side , see what's amiss  :y

dcjg85

• Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 May 2018, 08:28:33 »

My apologies, with regard to the scenario, the engine was replaced and the car returned. The engine does start however I have noticed the following issues with my untrained eye:

- Vacuum hoses not all connected, not sure where some of them should go? Particularly the thinnest hoses.
- Engine warning light, code relates to engine coolant temperature sensor. I have got a genuine GM replacement ready to fit.
- Radiator fans don't seem to kick in, so I don't leave the car running long in case it overheats.
- Temperature gauge on the dash doesn't seem to function anymore either.

Thank you all, for your supportive comments around this, hopefully I can get her right again.  :)

dcjg85

• Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 May 2018, 08:29:46 »

I can stick my diagnostic laptop on it , read the modules, look at live data (if the engine does run)

Dave I have PM'd you.  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 May 2018, 08:32:10 »

There is a diagram of vac hoses in maintenance guides section

Pop off plenum to check the 2 temp sensors are conected
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 06 May 2018, 09:29:33 »

If Dave can't help you, and he is one of the good blokes on here (of whom there are many - and a few, very few unpleasant types, and we all know who they are) - there is someone in particular that I could recommend - one of the kindest men that you could meet and a real Omega expert - but not without his knowledge or permission. If he is reading this he will straightaway recognise himself and could even contact you.

Ron.
Having our weekly dig are we, old man? It does you no favours because, as I've said before, it makes you appear bitter and twisted.....which you probably are  ;D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 May 2018, 10:08:27 »

Dave I have PM'd you.  :)
missed that , sorry , i will reply shortly  ;)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 May 2018, 10:12:10 »

My apologies, with regard to the scenario, the engine was replaced and the car returned. The engine does start however I have noticed the following issues with my untrained eye:

- Vacuum hoses not all connected, not sure where some of them should go? Particularly the thinnest hoses.
- Engine warning light, code relates to engine coolant temperature sensor. I have got a genuine GM replacement ready to fit.
- Radiator fans don't seem to kick in, so I don't leave the car running long in case it overheats.
- Temperature gauge on the dash doesn't seem to function anymore either.

Thank you all, for your supportive comments around this, hopefully I can get her right again.  :)
probably the connector isn't on correctly,
Hoof'land storeman.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 May 2018, 11:56:06 »

Thanks zirk, I am pretty confident all belts looked intact and the last time the car was driven was by me as a funeral car. The car then sat un-driven until going to the mechanic. Therefore based on your comment I am guessing I was probably misled, lesson learnt on that one.
As zirk said above, if the camshaft timing belt had snapped resulting in bent valves then you'd know about it.
Might be worth checking the engine number to see was it really changed?

And if it was my replacement engine, I would want to see that a new timing belt, guides, tensioner and coolant pump had been fitted. And ideally also the cam cover seals replaced and the oil breathers decrudded before installation.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.