Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: oil-leak again  (Read 813 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
oil-leak again
« on: 21 November 2011, 12:28:00 »

posted a few weeks ago regards an oil-leak. it appeared to be No2 inlet manifold the problem so replaced gaskets (& glowplugs whilst i could get to them). i suspected a leak lower down but cannot decide where from. its either the crankshaft oil-seal or the very front of the sump. does any body know if the sump lowers enough to change the gasket. looking at it i,d say yes but would like advice pls from somebody that may have done one. the oil seal is covered on the range rover pdf, so think i,m ok with that.  :-\ :y

Michael2.6

• Intermediate Member
  • Bishop Auckland
    • Vauxhall Omega
    • View Profile
Re: oil-leak again
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2011, 17:08:27 »

What engine have you got

sounds like its diesel

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2011, 19:56:34 »

What engine have you got

sounds like its diesel
yes its a 2.5td.   there is no oil above the sump gasket except for the very front of the engine on the right hand side where the sump bolts are situated. cannot tell where its from. left hand side of crank shaft pulley is clean. :-\

Michael2.6

• Intermediate Member
  • Bishop Auckland
    • Vauxhall Omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2011, 21:34:35 »

Try cleaning the engine down with engine cleaner

run engine and see where the leak is coming from

then you can see if it is sump gasket or not

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2011, 23:53:19 »

The sump gasket is a thin solid metal-type jobbie which has a rubber bead manufactured into it, and I've not known of any failures.

As it's a one-piece gasket, the sump has to be removed to fit it, as I doubt if you're going to be able to feed it around the pick-up/strainer. That said, it may just be possible - though you'd need to be extremely careful not to distort the gasket whilst trying.

Personally, I'd be looking at giving the lump a damn good cleaning first.

A common front end oil leakage on these engines is from the vent on the underside of the EGR valve, which gets blown around the area by the viscous fan.
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2011, 17:14:00 »

The sump gasket is a thin solid metal-type jobbie which has a rubber bead manufactured into it, and I've not known of any failures.

As it's a one-piece gasket, the sump has to be removed to fit it, as I doubt if you're going to be able to feed it around the pick-up/strainer. That said, it may just be possible - though you'd need to be extremely careful not to distort the gasket whilst trying.

Personally, I'd be looking at giving the lump a damn good cleaning first.

A common front end oil leakage on these engines is from the vent on the underside of the EGR valve, which gets blown around the area by the viscous fan.
Hi guy,s!. got it sussed (fingers x) washed down & went last night for a 10ml run, jacked it up & with the aid of a good torch & mirror had a look. nothing at all in any area except where the sump gasket is, at the front of the engine. if i,m reading the range rover pdf file right the sump does drop enough & the oil strainer will unbolt to enable a new gasket to be put on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.