Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Have you already bought the last car you will ever own?  (Read 6220 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Have you already bought the last car you will ever own?
« Reply #15 on: 13 October 2018, 01:11:31 »

"................oh, and then you have us growing population of over 65's whose ability to get around under our own steam, in our own cars, that gives us freedom and stops us relying on the state to subsidise our travels.  But I suppose the government will either buy us new fangled cars or provide wonderful levels of benefits and social care to overcome our lose of own transport?  Once again, yes ,sure! ::) ::)
A self driving car, however powered would actual return some of my Mother's independence, as she presumably would not need her medically revoked licence to use it and would then become less dependent on woeful rural bus services and one of the most disrupted rail lines in the UK.

She cannot possibly be alone in being able to benefit from such systems becoming common place... ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 October 2018, 01:32:33 »

"................oh, and then you have us growing population of over 65's whose ability to get around under our own steam, in our own cars, that gives us freedom and stops us relying on the state to subsidise our travels.  But I suppose the government will either buy us new fangled cars or provide wonderful levels of benefits and social care to overcome our lose of own transport?  Once again, yes ,sure! ::) ::)

A self driving car, however powered would actual return some of my Mother's independence, as she presumably would not need her medically revoked licence to use it and would then become less dependent on woeful rural bus services
and one of the most disrupted rail lines in the UK.

She cannot possibly be alone in being able to benefit from such systems becoming common place... ::)

Very good point and one that I hadn't considered.  :y

I quite fancy moving out to the 'sticks' and a self driving car would mean that I wouldn't have to move back to a town in my old age.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 13 October 2018, 09:55:30 »

A self driving car, however powered would actual return some of my Mother's independence, as she presumably would not need her medically revoked licence to use it and would then become less dependent on woeful rural bus services

I quite fancy moving out to the 'sticks' and a self driving car would mean that I wouldn't have to move back to a town in my old age.  :)
Cloud cuckoo land. If I'm still alive in fifty years  ;D I'll refer you back to this post.  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 October 2018, 10:37:39 »

Cloud cuckoo land. If I'm still alive in fifty years  ;D I'll refer you back to this post.  ;D

You won't be.......so you won't be able to.

You'll be dead, buried and forgotten well before then. :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 October 2018, 12:08:03 »

A self driving car, however powered would actual return some of my Mother's independence, as she presumably would not need her medically revoked licence to use it and would then become less dependent on woeful rural bus services and one of the most disrupted rail lines in the UK.

Yes, sounds all great, but who will pay for those cars?  The average pensioner wont be able to afford those that are produced in the next 15 years, or until the cost of them comes down to second hand levels, and the state now certainly won't.  Not even Corbyn can promise that type of social support. 

Local buses and passes are meant to give OAP's those "freedoms", but look at what is happening to them.  In any case being driven around at times convenient to the bus companies, with maybe one bus on a Sunday, or every three hours, and in drafty, smelly, and at times , with threatening fellow passengers, is no "freedom" at all.  Only your own vehicle on your own drive is that freedom!  ::) ::)
« Last Edit: 13 October 2018, 12:12:22 by Lizzie Zoom »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 October 2018, 12:12:16 »

Once again you presume much...

Viable self driving electric cars won't be £80k+ for ever ::)

The current bus and bus pass subsidies are hardly cheap.

Take your independence for granted whilst you are still able... :-X
« Last Edit: 13 October 2018, 12:19:35 by Doctor Gollum »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 October 2018, 12:13:54 »

Why?  That is the very thing my parents and grandparents generation fought for, and the younger generation should never take for granted no more than we have ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 October 2018, 12:21:15 »

Why?  That is the very thing my parents and grandparents generation fought for, and the younger generation should never take for granted no more than we have ;)
That old chestnut... ::) For independence read freedom of mobility, obviously.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 October 2018, 12:31:46 »

That old chestnut... ::) For independence read freedom of mobility, obviously.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.............!!!  You and I both know independence and freedom means far, far more than that ::) ::) ::)

I have read history since very young and was in senior management, and that means I have learn't  never to be presumptuous about the things that matter, if at all ;)

So lay off telling me I am and making statements like "Once again you presume much...".  You are far too arrogant and you have to make everything so personal!! >:( >:(
« Last Edit: 13 October 2018, 12:33:45 by Lizzie Zoom »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 October 2018, 12:36:16 »

We will revisit this when you need to walk with two sticks, are unable to stand for long periods and can no longer drive :-X

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 October 2018, 20:11:45 »

I think autonomous vehicles will still need a responsible human for some time, thus a licence.

True autonomy needs far more infrastructure, and the UK will keep flogging the Victorian train option instead
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #26 on: 13 October 2018, 20:18:57 »

I've just thrashed the bollix off mine on an empty(ish) M1. Razzed through the speed camera gantries at over 90, past all the people who think they're on when they're off, if you get my meaning. An autonomous car wouldn't have let me, miserable bastard things  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 October 2018, 20:25:49 »

I've just thrashed the bollix off mine on an empty(ish) M1. Razzed through the speed camera gantries at over 90, past all the people who think they're on when they're off, if you get my meaning. An autonomous car wouldn't have let me, miserable bastard things  ;D
Tell that to the magistrate as he cuts your licence in to little pieces ;D

STEMO

« Reply #28 on: 13 October 2018, 20:32:03 »

Tell that to the magistrate as he cuts your licence in to little pieces ;D
I'd just tell him I was cleaning my DPF so as to make my vehicle more environmentally friendly.  :P

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 October 2018, 20:34:26 »

That should do it ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.