Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heads up! RAC windscreens  (Read 1520 times)

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
Heads up! RAC windscreens
« on: 20 August 2006, 14:26:51 »

Hi all,
on thursday my windscreen decided to crack after i heard a boom noise(couldn't see what happened).
So i phoned the insurance which gave me the RAC tel number. They asked me to bring the car to them yesterday morning, so i did and left it for 3 hours. When i went back i had to complain about the poor fitment of the rubber bit that goeas arround the windscreen so they fixed that, THe technician then told me that there was 3 rust spots internally which might have caused the cracking, i asked him if he did anything about them and he said that he sanded them down and treated them(i strugled to believe him).
I would have preferrred to have insisted for RAC to come and fix it in my driveway so that i could have supervised their work.
I still cannot understand how the hell rust found its way there(RAC windscreen when i bought the car).

Taxi_Driver

Re: Heads up! RAC windscreens
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2006, 16:06:25 »

Ive used RAC windscreens and Autoglass recently.....i took my meega to both of them....at both places neither of them minded me hanging about in the workshop chatting to the blokey doing the fitting and watching.
Could you have done that at the RAC windscreens you took it to?

STMO123

« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2006, 16:06:59 »

Probably went rusty because of 'poor fitment of rubber bit round windscreen' :-/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2006, 16:20:28 »

The most likely cause of rust around that area is due to the screen being replaced in the past and them being a bit careless with the bonding removal tool and damaging the paint work.

The rubber trim around the screen actual does very little sealing at all.....

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2006, 16:38:36 »

The most likely cause of rust around that area is due to the screen being replaced in the past and them being a bit careless with the bonding removal tool and damaging the paint work.

The rubber trim around the screen actual does very little sealing at all.....

Good point Mark.....I watched as blokey at Autoscreens did mine....I thought at the time I hope your being careful with that cutting tool getting old glue off.
He told me that 38% of the strength of that area is due to the windscreen......and they go glue it in!  :o
Also he reckoned mine is on at least its 3rd screen.....apparently my old one came out too easily for it to be original.

Oh and summat else I remember....i think Ron said when he had a new windscreen.....he had to go out and buy external Ariel for his sat nav.....coz blokey told him you to have heat reflective screens fitted now....these type have silver in them and block the satellite signals. This isnt the case coz i had an ordinary screen put in mine. Autoglass bloke said i can either type fitted.

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2006, 18:41:30 »

Ive used RAC windscreens and Autoglass recently.....i took my meega to both of them....at both places neither of them minded me hanging about in the workshop chatting to the blokey doing the fitting and watching.
Could you have done that at the RAC windscreens you took it to?

No they wre not keen at all having people in the workshop area. I think i will give it a year then smash the windscreen myself and repair the rust properly before fitting a new one.

STMO123

« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2006, 19:43:45 »

It will have rusted away in a year ;D

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 August 2006, 19:50:37 »

Just had mine replaced by RAC autowindscreens. They came and fitted it at my house but said they usually call omegas into the depot because the screen is a little on the awkward side to fit. So that was two blokes and two vans to fit my windscreen. Apparently mine had been replaced before and not done very well either they told me. They did have a right chew fitting it though definitely got my £50 worth out of them :)
« Last Edit: 20 August 2006, 19:51:18 by salty »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.