Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Car interiors  (Read 3582 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Car interiors
« on: 15 September 2014, 02:51:08 »

Over the years I have noticed the Senetor/Carlton where bigger inside than the Omega, even the MFL was slightly bigger than the FL models, not a great difference but a bit here and a bit there it adds up.

The most noticeable head room was in the old mini.

The most sumptious I think was the leather in the 2.9 scorpio

The only car I have had to pull the seat forward in was a Lada.

Space wise I was suprised with the driving position /space of the mk1 micra.

The old Toyota Hiace box van hacked me off because I always seem to rest my foot by the acelerater as I get in the car and when I hired one of these I jumped in rested my foot and promptly shut the door nearly taking all my toes off

I loved the old 420SE merc bench seats and the space of it. but hated the old 2 door sl merc (80's).

Have always been drawn to vauxhall having had HA van, chevette, manta, cavalier 2/3/4 doors, carlton, omega etc, even a royale for a while and a couple of GM yanks.

With the lack of large RWD vauxhall cars to choose from other than the VXR V8 that will turn me back into a reckless 17 year again then that's a nono, but I think its time to move on. :-\

Time to look for something different, time to try a diesel I think.  but looking for something with a slightly bigger interior than the Omega's a bit like the senetor was.

Looking around at the (3.0 diesel)
300C - considering the estate version
S class Merc - less economical than the E class
E class Merc -
Audi A6 Quatro
plus a honda legend (petrol but is 4x4 3.5 v6)
Even the Lexus hybrids

Not sure whats good or bad, guessing the insurance may be hefty compared to the migs on some.
Just looking for someing with all the toys, but more interior space and added comfort for longer journeys.

Anysuggestions welcomed regards other models. :y
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

05omegav6

Re: Car interiors
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2014, 05:45:22 »

E Class ticks most of the boxes, but will be a previous model E500 for the toys that you get in an Omega Elite :-\

S Class the same, but it won't be much newer than the last Omega, unless you have the budget for a newer one...

chrisgixer

« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2014, 07:36:14 »

You forget the most important thing!

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2014, 09:54:36 »

You forget the most important thing!
Budget?

chrisgixer

« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2014, 10:05:14 »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 September 2014, 10:14:43 »

And if thinking diesel then be aware they don't suit usage which is based on lots of short journeys

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #6 on: 15 September 2014, 11:43:05 »

as the post shows in detail , he didnt forget anything..  budget is not a problem ;)

personally I would recommend infinity v6 or v8.. a bit big but will be comfortable.. they are nearly faultless..

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=108218 (this is the old model)
« Last Edit: 15 September 2014, 11:49:39 by cem »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 September 2014, 12:21:31 »

I must admit that the leather in the Scorpio used to be very comfy.. with the added advantage that there was no danger of catching a glimpse of the exterior of the car from there. ;D

The most disappointing interior I've seen recently is the 5 series BMW dashboard. Almost identical to my Morris Ital. Huge slab of moulded black plastic with some tacky silver painted detail.

Here.. Spot the difference... ;)

and..

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 September 2014, 12:30:41 »

Ah....the Marina/Ital.......a time when Britain was the world leader in cutting edge car design. :)

chrisgixer

« Reply #9 on: 15 September 2014, 12:32:18 »

As always cem, you leave no choice but to disagree. ;D

Those models are considerably more than any omega. A few more years on the omega and that might improve.

I'd need a significantly more substantial reason than "oh I feel like a change" to justify the costs of those. Bar a few head unit inputs, don't expect any more toys or comforts either.

Fact is, head gasket failed or not, almost any repair is cheaper than any of these models.

While it's always nice to have a newer car, are we really getting a better car than an omega given the extra outlay?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 September 2014, 12:36:57 »

Ah....the Marina/Ital.......a time when Britain was the world leader in cutting edge car design. :)

Well, I was always cutting the edge of the front mud flaps, as the body roll was so horrendous that they kept dragging on the ground! ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 15 September 2014, 12:56:59 »

VW Phaeton might be a good place to start looking... :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 September 2014, 13:14:56 »

Well, I was always cutting the edge of the front mud flaps, as the body roll was so horrendous that they kept dragging on the ground! ;D

The Marina/Ital is obviously a far superior car to any BMW.  ::)  I have fond memories of my Marina Coupe 1800TC!  :-*
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

05omegav6

« Reply #13 on: 15 September 2014, 13:17:22 »

The Marina/Ital is obviously a far superior car to any BMW.  ::)  I have fond memories of my Marina Coupe 1800TC!  :-*
The similarities are almost uncanny...

The reasons behind BMWs purchase of Rover suddenly become clearer ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 September 2014, 13:26:59 »

The Marina/Ital is obviously a far superior car to any BMW.  ::)  I have fond memories of my Marina Coupe 1800TC:-*

I believe this one came with the arthritic lump from the MGB. :)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 September 2014, 13:30:09 »

The Marina/Ital is obviously a far superior car to any BMW.  ::)  I have fond memories of my Marina Coupe 1800TC:-*

??

For its time a very "tuneable" engine, certainly I had many hours fun with both the Marina 1.8 TC and the MGB that followed it, some carb changes, needle/seat changes and the judicious use of a couple of "colourtunes" and a carb balancer ... in the days when you COULD play with engines .. :)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 September 2014, 13:40:25 »

The most sumptious I think was the leather in the 2.9 scorpio
Yea agree, when I had my old Cosworth 2.9 Ultima, the Leathers in the Front were comfy, the Leathers in the Back where just heavenly, people used to sit in the back and just fall in lone with the seats, shame the rest of the Car wasn't built the same.  8)

Mind you, the back seats were handy when the car broke down and you needed a pair of stockings off someone to replace the Cambelt.  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 September 2014, 13:46:36 »

Mine probably was arthritic as it was well used before it came to me and only cost me £50, but it still had plenty enough poke for a reckless and horny 19 year old!  :y

All I did to it was drive it and shag in it!!  :y  :y  :y
« Last Edit: 15 September 2014, 13:48:17 by Sir Tigger »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #18 on: 15 September 2014, 13:47:42 »

Those models are considerably more than any omega. A few more years on the omega and that might improve.

I'd need a significantly more substantial reason than "oh I feel like a change" to justify the costs of those. Bar a few head unit inputs, don't expect any more toys or comforts either.

Fact is, head gasket failed or not, almost any repair is cheaper than any of these models.

While it's always nice to have a newer car, are we really getting a better car than an omega given the extra outlay?

infinity is in a different league Chris..   almost in every detail..

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 15 September 2014, 13:55:06 »

I suspect that is due to the oldest European Infinity models being a good 8 years newer than the newest Omega, and typically 100k miles less abused, rather than their American build quality... ::)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 September 2014, 14:12:25 »

I learnt to drive in a HA van and BMW 2500 auto so not much difference there .  ::)  I think the BMW is where my love of big cars started.  I have also had a Granada 3000, 4.2 jag, 4.2 Daimler sovreign

Couple of cars to add to the list to consider are the Jag XF and BMW 730D, sadly the beemer interiors to me seem sad and dated, the interior of the 300C is nothing to write home about looks wise either.  Last time I was hankering after a BMW it was the 535i with the twin centre exhaust (X reg)

The merc is leading so far,  on paper I need it to be capable of 50+ mpg,  I need the extra width and comfort to help my health issues, I have damage in my legs which has knackerd my circulation and cause me quite a lot of issues, and limits me to a couple of hours max driving the car, but if I can jiggle about abit and keep changing my seat position then this helps my health issues.(this is where some cars with the hand brake down the side of the seat dont help.

Mark DTM made a good point, no good for short journeys, this is one of the reasons behind the better MPG and comfort, with the right car and feeling ok on a good day I can just jump in the car and nip to the coast, have lunch, bit of canoodling watching the sun go down and then when I get a bit bored go take a steady trip home via the country side or a blast down the M180/18

Intention is to keep at least 1 of the mig's, probably the 2.2 as a run about, maybe even one of the V6 motors as well.

Budget?  good question, 7 years old, 70K max mileage, full electric leather seats and a sunroof is my target, seem some nice cars as low as £7000, don't know if I really want to spend that much, but then I don't smoke or drink, and anything that returns 40MPG+ on a run makes for a nicer car in the long run, if I want newer then I just need to save longer. 

Only thing I have'nt looked into yet is the insurance, which might be a good idea before test driving any of them  ::)
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 September 2014, 14:12:57 »

The similarities are almost uncanny...

The reasons behind BMWs purchase of Rover suddenly become clearer ;D

Indeed.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 September 2014, 14:24:58 »

Was tempted by the E60 535d but I've heard too many horror stories  ;D

For me at least it has to be the Lexus LS430 mini facelift model 2003-2006... Large RWD V8, Reliable, More toys than the Omega, Comfy and silent and smooth, Not forgetting 0-60 under 6 seconds... Anywhere from £3,000 - £8,000.. Shouldn't be much if any worse on fuel than a 3.2 Omega... I've also heard the Insurance is also cheaper on the LS... Whenever the LS430 is mentioned they first thing people mention is the looks, Personally I like them. That's the only issue people seem to have with them.

chrisgixer

« Reply #23 on: 15 September 2014, 14:30:27 »

I suspect that is due to the oldest European Infinity models being a good 8 years newer than the newest Omega, and typically 100k miles less abused, rather than their American build quality... ::)

Oh I thought he was talking about the budget for a second. ::) ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 September 2014, 14:50:51 »

??

For its time a very "tuneable" engine, certainly I had many hours fun with both the Marina 1.8 TC and the MGB that followed it, some carb changes, needle/seat changes and the judicious use of a couple of "colourtunes" and a carb balancer ... in the days when you COULD play with engines .. :)

Ah, yes...........the infamous colourtune.

I spent many frustrating hours trying to set up the twin SU carbs on my Triumph 2500S with one of these.

I could only get the car to run sweetly if I set it up 'super rich'.
The result was something like 8 MPG around town and barely 13 MPG on a long run with the car striding along in overdrive top. ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #25 on: 15 September 2014, 14:57:07 »

its the japanese build quality..

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 September 2014, 15:34:19 »

Interior space is inversely proportional to safety features.  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 September 2014, 16:41:43 »

Ah, yes...........the infamous colourtune.

I spent many frustrating hours trying to set up the twin SU carbs on my Triumph 2500S with one of these.

I could only get the car to run sweetly if I set it up 'super rich'.
The result was something like 8 MPG around town and barely 13 MPG on a long run with the car striding along in overdrive top. ;D

The major flaw with the Colourtune was that you could only set the mixture at idle. great for getting it through an MOT emissions test. Rubbish for getting it to run OK. Although, in theory, once you've tuned an SU carb at idle, it'll work OK throughout the range, add a bit of wear to the needle and jet and it was anybody's guess what it was doing under load. Thankfully, fuel injection came along and we got the much more driveable and efficient cars we have today.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 September 2014, 16:54:00 »

??

I often wonder what would have come of the MGB if they'd fitted a less undersquare engine more deserving of a "sports" car. The B series was ideal only for the Sherpa van IMHO.  ;)

If the O series had ever made it into an MGB it would have been an improvement.

aaronjb

« Reply #29 on: 15 September 2014, 17:01:28 »

Jag XF

For me if the Omega was like sitting in a comfortable arm chair, the XF was like squeezing my whole body into a sheepskin glove.  Quite comforting but ultimately not exactly roomy!

Probably fine if you're built like a racing snake, though.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 15 September 2014, 17:25:14 »

Jag XF

For me if the Omega was like sitting in a comfortable arm chair, the XF was like squeezing my whole body into a sheepskin glove.  Quite comforting but ultimately not exactly roomy!

Probably fine if you're built like a racing snake, though.

The Omega has excellent interior space. Despite being the size of a beached whale the CLS 500 Merc I briefly owned was far smaller inside. :y

The RX8 was also a tight..ish squeeze. The little wankel also  wins  first prize for 'the most stupid place for a handbrake' award. ;D
« Last Edit: 15 September 2014, 17:35:04 by Doctor Opti »

aaronjb

« Reply #31 on: 15 September 2014, 18:27:00 »

Yeah, the RX8 has less headroom than .. something without much headroom.  I can't sit in there with a helmet on, so alternative seats will be investigated for track work ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 September 2014, 18:34:52 »

Oh FFS Mr Wood, I'd managed to blank that from my mind...
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #33 on: 15 September 2014, 20:07:06 »

Presumably, for left hand drive models, the dashboard was simply put in backwards...

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 15 September 2014, 20:14:06 »

Oh FFS Mr Wood, I'd managed to blank that from my mind...

And to think I owned two of them one after the other,christ knows what I smoked back then but is must have been good shit ::) ;D
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

05omegav6

« Reply #35 on: 15 September 2014, 20:36:25 »

To clarify Henry, the car was shit, where does good come into it ::)

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 19 September 2014, 23:40:21 »

Presumably, for left hand drive models, the dashboard was simply put in backwards...

;D ;D

Designers meeting minutes.

"lets build a new car"
"ok"
"what bits we got left lying around?"

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20 September 2014, 12:11:30 »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.