Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Brexit - Not So Bad  (Read 5174 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Brexit - Not So Bad
« on: 07 September 2019, 11:52:07 »

I have just returned from another visit to a battlefield that determined, and this one very decisively, the course of English history.  The Battle of 1066, the so called Battle of Hastings, actually fought at Battle in East Sussex, 7 miles inland from the town of it's name.

I went there this time with one of my grandson's, 8 years of age, who has hooked into the subject of history and the mathematical numbers involved. Whilst going around the scene of this great battle, thinking of the numbers involved that day, it made me think, even as a women, how grateful I am to live in 2019 and 'suffer' the constant torture of BREXIT now.

The Battle of 1066 was fought on the 14th October. The 'battle' of BREXIT is possibly being 'fought' throughout October, with it maybe coming to a head on the 31st.  The Battle of 1066, the last of three that year, which was again to decide the rulers of England.  BREXIT is a battle for the future of England and who ultimately rules us. 

It was a bloody, gruesome battle, beyond what was considered 'normal' for that era. I will not go into graphic detail as some may well object to that, but thousands died, or were dying in absolute agony, piled up on the field of conflict like no other time.  Everyone, including me, living today, women as well as men, both of which could find themselves fighting a war, should just pause in the current "B" battle and thank God that in another age, like 1066, the political game over England's future being played out would not be a war of words, and a frustrating media circus,  but men having to fight physically hand to hand, with an almost certain end in a way that no-one now would wish on anyone. No rockets, nuclear devices, or just bullets to bring about a quick merciful end at the hands of someone very distant from us.

So this current 'battle' on English soil is not o bad afterall! :D ;)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit - Not So Bad
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2019, 12:20:58 »

Some similarities with the Europeans taking over. Putting that aside..

The Hastings result might have been so different.

Earlier Hardrada and Tostig Godwinson had landed at Scarborough with over 300 ships bristling with warriors  . They met our King Harold Godwinsons army at Stamford bridge near York on the 25th September and the Norwegians suffered a massive defeat after a bloody battle. They only had enough survivors to man 30 ships  back to Norway. The rest were abandoned on Scarborough beach.

Then King Harold hastily marched his battle weary men down to Hastings to fight William. The rest is history. The result might have been completely different without Stamford Bridge and battle weary men.

Oh forgot to say Harold had fought an earlier battle just a few days earlier at Fulford ( near York) .
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2019, 12:29:01 »

For 1066 I blame Edward the Confessor for thoughtlessly dropping of the perch (throne) without fully establishing who his successor would be.

For Brexit I  blame Dominic Cummings for leading an impressionable PM in any direction he chooses. Poor old Bojo now seems bewildered and unsure what to do next.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2019, 12:53:34 »

You are just focussing on Cummings as a hate figure. Most citizens had never heard of him till very recently. If you want to find a blame figure or organisation you need to go back further than the vote.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2019, 13:17:24 »

You are just focussing on Cummings as a hate figure. Most citizens had never heard of him till very recently. If you want to find a blame figure or organisation you need to go back further than the vote.

Not focus. Sadly, I don't have the attention span to focus. :) More just an observation really.

I don't hold him responsible for  2016 but I do believe he has too much influence over Boris now who is likely to flit from one extreme to another without adult supervision. I certainly don't think DC can walk on water. :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2019, 13:31:34 »

I think you'll find that Battle was so named because that was where the fight took place rather than the other way around...  :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 September 2019, 13:41:42 »

I think that people give Dominic Cummings far too much credit to be honest.   ::)

As too BREXIT itself, the remainiacs have won a battle but not the war! ;) 

Boris should retreat a little, lick his wounds, concentrate on the forthcoming GE if the opposition parties are up for one and work out how to get us out on the 31st January.  :y

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 September 2019, 13:49:00 »

Some similarities with the Europeans taking over. Putting that aside..

The Hastings result might have been so different.

Earlier Hardrada and Tostig Godwinson had landed at Scarborough with over 300 ships bristling with warriors  . They met our King Harold Godwinsons army at Stamford bridge near York on the 25th September and the Norwegians suffered a massive defeat after a bloody battle. They only had enough survivors to man 30 ships  back to Norway. The rest were abandoned on Scarborough beach.

Then King Harold hastily marched his battle weary men down to Hastings to fight William. The rest is history. The result might have been completely different without Stamford Bridge and battle weary men.

Oh forgot to say Harold had fought an earlier battle just a few days earlier at Fulford ( near York) .

And that is the special fact with me. Europeans, or migrant armies, have since the days of Rome come into Britain and taken over.  We are all migrants, who at some stage have ruled England, who nowadays object so much about other immigrants who come from afar. They are the ones who have ruled us English, who are a mixture of Italian*, German*, Scandinavian*, and not forgetting the French, which we are now ourselves.  Our independent English (British?) identity has  grown so much over many centuries that we now - well a lot of us do - not want a political connection with Europe if they try anymore to dictate what the British / English do.

But the difference is now (hopefully) we will fight no more battles of English and general European control that are physical, just a war of frustrating, damned annoying, and very debatable words!

*I use those general name tags, but of course they can be broken down still further given the history of those areas.
 :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2019, 13:49:53 »

I think you'll find that Battle was so named because that was where the fight took place rather than the other way around...  :D

Well, yes DG, I think we all know that ::) ::) :D :D ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 September 2019, 14:05:41 »

I think that people give Dominic Cummings far too much credit to be honest.   ::)

Boris should retreat a little, lick his wounds, concentrate on the forthcoming GE if the opposition parties are up for one and work out how to get us out on the 31st January.  :y

I have always been consistent with regard to Brexit.

We lost and we should leave the EU.

There should not be a second referendum because the people have already voted.

If there is a second referendum 'to remain in the EU' should not be an option........because we have already voted to leave.

We could have already left the EU with a watery BRINO rather than a proper BREXIT but this was blocked by 'no compromise' brexiteer's of the cake and eat it variety. Looking back this option might be the good as it gets option.

Who knows what will happen now?......fortunately STMO and his whippet left the EU on the 29th March and now have access to 'bendy bananas' :D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 September 2019, 14:34:56 »

If there is a second referendum 'to remain in the EU' should not be an option........because we have already voted to leave.

We could have already left the EU with a watery BRINO rather than a proper BREXIT but this was blocked by 'no compromise' brexiteer's of the cake and eat it variety. Looking back this option might be the good as it gets option.

Who knows what will happen now?......fortunately STMO and his whippet left the EU on the 29th March and now have access to 'bendy bananas' :D

It was equally blocked by the Labour party playing party politics and trying to bring the government down.  ;)

I'm glad they did though because it was a dreadful deal, I'm not convinced yet that it is dead and buried.  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 September 2019, 15:14:20 »

It was equally blocked by the Labour party playing party politics and trying to bring the government down.  ;)

I'm glad they did though because it was a dreadful deal, I'm not convinced yet that it is dead and buried.  :-\
Agreed.

You are right, the deal was piss poor and not really brexit. :-\

So what happens next?........I don't believe Boris can ask for more time after his 'rather be dead in a ditch' comment.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 September 2019, 16:08:27 »

Agreed.

So what happens next?........I don't believe Boris can ask for more time after his 'rather be dead in a ditch' comment.
I think it's out of The bumbling buffons hands now ?

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 September 2019, 16:58:27 »

Agreed.

I think it's out of The bumbling buffons hands now ?

Yes, and I so laugh out loud about that after those goons who voted so extensively in 'my' party to vote him in as the PM, and what they must think now! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Idiots the lot of them! >:(

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 September 2019, 17:02:34 »

Sadly tis no laughing matter......
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.