Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Front wishbone bush replacement  (Read 10636 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Front wishbone bush replacement
« Reply #45 on: 19 September 2018, 10:48:07 »

Poly fronts are about £70 a pair now and will last the cars life.I was sceptical when mine were fitted as thought it would be to severe but they work well and take the car where you point it .

Backs are around £20 but will either require some engineering with studding to remove and refit or a big press and a few quid in the garages coffee pot.

After fitting alignment is essential and should cost around £ 60/£70...place near MacDonalds off A2070 do it think they are called Tyre Pro or similar.

Doing it yourself then ?

Thanks. :y

Not sure yet but, yes it is Protyre previouly Tyreweb, have quoted £180 but cannot supply poly bushes. The Vx dealer has quoted £231, with TC, with genuine parts.

But, if others confirm that it is straight forward to do the front bushes then I might go down that route. The question is do I want to be crawling around on the floor, when I could just let the professionals take the strain. :D ;)
It's only an advisory note, presumably on an MOT pass certificate. If it drives all right I should leave it until next year. A lot can happen to a 16 year old car in a year.
My Rover Streetwise has had advisories on drive shaft gaiters for the last three years, but it keeps passing MOTs. Some examiners feel obliged to pick a fault on every 16 year old car, lest people think they are not trying.

Good advice Terry, thanks, but I believe in doing things today.

If I can I'd rather not leave it to that next MOT day and feel the shock of them failing the Omega with a huge estimate of what it will cost to put right.  I am a pro-active manager by training and that way I can plan and control what happens when, where and how. Decisions are not rushed but considered, with finance in place.

As for the bushes Terry, I have looked at them myself now and they do look very deteriorated and likely to require replacement with the next MOT.  Therefore they will need doing at some time, next year or the year after, so I would sooner fix all now with the major schedule of works I have planned.

To make some gulp on here, and to prove that I am mad, the overall cost as I stated previously will be £1,800 for the wishbones, cam belt, all belts, water pump and a major service.  But that comprises of £1,200 for parts (not what I said before) with TC, and £600 for labour with full discounts that I managed to get the dealer to agree to.  A lot of money yes, but I have given my reasons to justify that  previously.

Thanks again Terry for your advice  :-* :y
« Last Edit: 19 September 2018, 10:51:05 by Lizzie Zoom »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 19 September 2018, 11:03:35 »

Poly fronts are about £70 a pair now and will last the cars life.I was sceptical when mine were fitted as thought it would be to severe but they work well and take the car where you point it .

Backs are around £20 but will either require some engineering with studding to remove and refit or a big press and a few quid in the garages coffee pot.

After fitting alignment is essential and should cost around £ 60/£70...place near MacDonalds off A2070 do it think they are called Tyre Pro or similar.

Doing it yourself then ?

Not sure yet but, yes it is Protyre previouly Tyreweb, have quoted £180 but cannot supply poly bushes. The Vx dealer has quoted £231, with TC, with genuine parts.

But, if others confirm that it is straight forward to do the front bushes then I might go down that route. The question is do I want to be crawling around on the floor, when I could just let the professionals take the strain. :D ;)
It's only an advisory note, presumably on an MOT pass certificate. If it drives all right I should leave it until next year. A lot can happen to a 16 year old car in a year.
My Rover Streetwise has had advisories on drive shaft gaiters for the last three years, but it keeps passing MOTs. Some examiners feel obliged to pick a fault on every 16 year old car, lest people think they are not trying.

If I can I'd rather not leave it to that next MOT day and feel the shock of them failing the Omega with a huge estimate of what it will cost to put right.  I am a pro-active manager by training and that way I can plan and control what happens when, where and how. Decisions are not rushed but considered, with finance in place.

As for the bushes Terry, I have looked at them myself now and they do look very deteriorated and likely to require replacement with the next MOT.  Therefore they will need doing at some time, next year or the year after, so I would sooner fix all now with the major schedule of works I have planned.

To make some gulp on here, and to prove that I am mad, the overall cost as I stated previously will be £1,800 for the wishbones, cam belt, all belts, water pump and a major service.  But that comprises of £1,200 for parts (not what I said before) with TC, and £600 for labour with full discounts that I managed to get the dealer to agree to.  A lot of money yes, but I have given my reasons to justify that  previously.

:o :o :o :o

You could get all those parts for a 1/4 of that price, all decent brands as well.

I bet Serek would charge you a 3rd of the labour as well.

He would do a far better job, especially on cam belt timing and wishbones.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 19 September 2018, 11:14:06 »

You're not really in Malta, are you?

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 19 September 2018, 11:49:12 »

Its Lizzies money,she is entitled to spend it as she feels fit to. ::)..and I do understand her logic with a fully stamped service book gives the car a nice authenticity and providence albeit I cant imagine she is doing it with the intention of recovering that cost if sold on

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 19 September 2018, 11:50:39 »

I think her residential status is more likely....Monaco

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 19 September 2018, 12:56:32 »

As tunnie said, go to see Serek; it will be worth the trivial amount you spend on petrol compared with what you save on having those jobs done for you - and they will be done to perfection. :y 8)

Ron.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 19 September 2018, 14:14:17 »

I understand the thought, getting dealer stamps given it's condition and using garage you trust.

But no one at that dealer probably have ever looked at a V6 cambelt, Serek would have done countless and will easily get it spot on. You are paying for someone to read TIS on a computer and do it for the first time I bet!

Take it to the dealer for a stamp and an oil change, but get serious work done by someone who knows these inside out.  :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 19 September 2018, 14:25:34 »

Its Lizzies money,she is entitled to spend it as she feels fit to. ::)..and I do understand her logic with a fully stamped service book gives the car a nice authenticity and providence albeit I cant imagine she is doing it with the intention of recovering that cost if sold on

Thanks amba, and no I will NEVER recoup all my costs on my Omega! ;D ;D ;D ;)

I never have done that with any car, and I doubt that many people have; you never do with cars.  BUT, the money I have spent on this Omega, including it's purchase, and including this last schedule of works, is still only 50% of it's original price from the sales forecourt.  I have now had this example 5 years, and, God willing, it will at least go on for another 5 years.  What car could you buy that is the equivalent to this top of the range, fully loaded, Omega that you could purchase and run for that outlay with the pleasure it gives me?  Even on the 5 year ownership I have had a cheap, but luxurious, motor car at a price far, far cheaper than a brand new Insignia would have cost me. ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 19 September 2018, 14:38:12 »

I understand the thought, getting dealer stamps given it's condition and using garage you trust.

But no one at that dealer probably have ever looked at a V6 cambelt, Serek would have done countless and will easily get it spot on. You are paying for someone to read TIS on a computer and do it for the first time I bet!

Take it to the dealer for a stamp and an oil change, but get serious work done by someone who knows these inside out.  :y

They have on my Omega's on 4 separate occasions, and I know they have worked on other V6 engines.  This is not some back street outfit, but a major Vx dealer that covers the South East of England, who have the experience working on thousands of cars.  Plus, as I stated before, they guarantee their work, and as I have found out once with them they will fully honour The Consumer Act 2015 even when it is the GM/VX part that is at fault. Any problems, and I know their General Manager will commercially look after me as a follow senior business manager as he has before.

The bottom line is that at 65 years of age I want things simple, with a major outfit maintaining my car to the best standards, which over the 12 years I have been using this particular Caffyn's, they have done, and not giving me any hassle overall.  If they blow up the engine, or wreck the transmission system, they will have to put it all right.  Can any on here who work on Omega's give that kind of guarantee, even though I am sure their work is excellent, but mistakes happen?  8) 8) 8) :y

« Last Edit: 19 September 2018, 14:43:21 by Lizzie Zoom »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 19 September 2018, 14:54:29 »

................I would also add that I have been using Vx main dealers for now 36 years, with many high mileage cars being maintained.  I have only had one problem with a new air conditioning compressor fitted by my current dealer, but that is all over all those years.

People can say what they like about the main dealers, or to some "stealers" , but I can only say what I find.  When it comes to spending my hard earned money I am very particular and keeping my Omega maintained to main dealer professional standards is crucial to me, and I have watched / learn't about the sad experiences of others who have used Kwik Fittup, or other, what I term as, back street 'mechanics', so I will go either to my main dealer for the work to be done or do it myself.  At 65 though the latter is far less appealing than it was, even though I have 48 years experience of car mechanics.

Just wanted to explain that a bit further than before to help anyone still interested to understand what seems like a "mad approach". :D :D :-* :-* ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 19 September 2018, 15:08:01 »

Doing it yourself then ?

:o :o :o :o

You could get all those parts for a 1/4 of that price, all decent brands as well.

I bet Serek would charge you a 3rd of the labour as well.

He would do a far better job, especially on cam belt timing and wishbones.

Thanks Tunnie, I know you are trying to help me :-* :-* :-* :y

BUT, I have always fitted genuine parts to my Omega's (and other previously owned cars), and with me obtaining TC discounts I feel, even at £1,200, I am getting the best I can at a good price.  I certainly cannot see how I could get these genuine GM/Vx parts for just a quarter of that price. As it is the genuine GM complete wishbones are having to be flown in from Germany as, apparently, those particular ones are not in stock here in the UK.

They better be good mind you, and I WILL be making sure the Vx technician fitting them is briefed by me on torquing them up correctly!! :D ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 19 September 2018, 15:10:08 »

............ahhh, that is THE secret.  I am there when I want to be!! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 19 September 2018, 15:14:04 »

............ahhh, that is THE secret.  I am there when I want to be!! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)
If by Malta, you mean the international lorry park between Maidstone and Dover, then all is well ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 19 September 2018, 15:15:18 »

No use hiding your car from me, Lizzie - I will find you: but not until you have had that work done, so you are safe until then.....

Ron.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 19 September 2018, 15:15:27 »

Fair enough, but still think Serek would be better choice  :)

I rang my local main dealer Vauxhall, Eden of Camberley, to enquire on fault check on my wife's Zafira Tourer.

They wanted £75 just for just for a code read, I said I would think about it.

I then bought a full proper Vauxhall specific code reader, not just a generic one for £150. 2 code reads and I am quids in.  :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.