Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: You've done what???  (Read 1905 times)

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You've done what???
« on: 21 October 2006, 22:55:58 »

I bought another car today....  :)

However....  :-?

It is most certainly not an Omega!  :o

I decided to get myself a birthday present...
Something I have wanted for a very long time.

I have bought a 1991, J plated Saab 9000 CS Carlsson 2.3.  :D
God I love it!!  ;D

Black (good colour), manual (blessed is a manual box for it is good!!), and with about as complete a history as you will ever find!

This has virtually every receipt from new (as well as the fully stamped service book).
There are receipts for over £19K!!!  :o

It has had everything done...eg. timing chain (and tensioner) replacement and head gasket etc... £1,800!
Suddenly a replacement kit on the Omega seems positively cheap!

Ok, it is short a couple of cylinders and some muppet put the engine back in the wrong way round, but hey, I don't care (especially at the price I paid!!) :)

For some perverse reason it is also cheaper to insure than the Omega too!  :-?
It's a group 17 car with 225bhp and 250bl/ft of torque.... why the heck is it costing me less?

Howver I suspect I will pay the price in speeding fines.... ::)

The Administrator.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: You've done what???
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2006, 23:06:26 »

1991 J-plate...hmm.. definitely pre-GM era... that's when Saab were at their best... good buy, that one.
Alas, no more Omegas....

Martin_1962

« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2006, 23:24:29 »

Dunno what to make of that - you know my opinion of the 9-5! I hope this is a lot better even though it has the usual Saab drive train problem of FWD

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2006, 23:32:49 »

Yeah, but it's a Carlsson, don't know why, but there's something about them that's always made me want one??
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2006, 01:05:20 »

well a mate of mine has a J-reg 2.3 FPT 9000 CS and an R-reg 2.3 Aero, I have driven both and they are real Q-cars ... boy do they shift - and bring a smile to your face - once they get going (read - the turbo kicks in) - way more so than miggy's.

There's only four issues I can think of as such:

1) clutch is quite heavy
2) you really need an LSD on 'em to tame the torque steer
3) my knee is worryingly close to the bottom of the dashboard when driving
4) wrong wheel drive!

apparently R-reg is the last of the true Saabs, after that GM got involved ... but I am keeping an eye out for an auto aero hatchback (although apparently the auto is 200BHP instead of 230BHP)!

mine you though, I seem to remember being told that DIS pack failure (or equivalent thereof - DIS cartridge, effectively DIS pack and HT leads) was about £800  :o

was fun driving it (the aero) back from newport pagnell services to kent though, especially when a saxo tried to out-accelerate me when I was joining the motorway ... suffice to say that yes you will need to keep a keen eye on that speedo!!

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2006, 01:18:55 »

I bought another car today....  :)

However....  :-?

It is most certainly not an Omega!  :o

I decided to get myself a birthday present...
Something I have wanted for a very long time.

I have bought a 1991, J plated Saab 9000 CS Carlsson 2.3.  :D
God I love it!!  ;D

Black (good colour), manual (blessed is a manual box for it is good!!), and with about as complete a history as you will ever find!

This has virtually every receipt from new (as well as the fully stamped service book).
There are receipts for over £19K!!!  :o

It has had everything done...eg. timing chain (and tensioner) replacement and head gasket etc... £1,800!
Suddenly a replacement kit on the Omega seems positively cheap!

Ok, it is short a couple of cylinders and some muppet put the engine back in the wrong way round, but hey, I don't care (especially at the price I paid!!) :)

For some perverse reason it is also cheaper to insure than the Omega too!  :-?
It's a group 17 car with 225bhp and 250bl/ft of torque.... why the heck is it costing me less?

Howver I suspect I will pay the price in speeding fines.... ::)

Good choice, these vars benefit from the fiat chassis designed by the italian gurus. It is said that the handling is by far superior than the later GM platform cars.
Have fun mate.

STMO123

« Reply #6 on: 22 October 2006, 09:14:41 »

I sold a 9000 CS to buy my omega, for a while I thought I'd made the wrong decision. What am I talking about........I still think I made the wrong decision :(

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 October 2006, 09:14:58 »

You wouldn't want an LSD in a front wheel drive are on the road.....the snatch on them is truely worse than torque steer!.

Interestingly, under GM the reliabily has improved and certainly on the latest models (the new 93 and soon to arrive new 95) the handling is much improved, this is good because its the main area that realy let them down.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #8 on: 22 October 2006, 09:33:32 »

Why...Dave?

By that i mean, are you losing an omega, having one one of them as a weekend car? keping the saab under wraps?

Great performers though, any pics to drool over ? lol  :y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #9 on: 22 October 2006, 09:55:43 »

Well, I have seen this car last night when Dave brought it by on his way back with it. I can confirm that this is in exceptional condition, both cosmetically and mechanically. It looks absolutely superb and is the real McCoy.

Now, as you will possibly know, Laidback is a bit of an expert on the Saab 9000. He hasn't bought this car without careful consideration. Some of you may be interested to know that there are only about 24 of these in the country. They are super rare and VERY fast indeed. This Saab would give a Porsche 911 a good run for its money! These are absolutely NOT for the feint hearted.

I have every confidence that Dave has bought a great car and I know his reasons for doing so. Top choice, well selected and an absolutely superb catch if ever there was one. (the car, not dave! ;D)

I look forward to haveing a little spin in this car on another day. Last night in the rain was not my first choice!

To the cynics amongst us? Eat your heart out. This car is a million times better than any Omega you can find - no contest. Saab 95 is NOT the same car as these. This is a true sports car in every sense and would have been fun to have taken to Santa Pod last week.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 October 2006, 11:08:40 »

Bit of an expert??  :-?

Well I know enough about them to know a good one from a bad one!...

Not sure about the 911 comparison, although it is damn quick when you want it to be, and very restrained when pootling along.

Yes the clutch is qute... strong (new clutch) ;)

Oh and the DIS pack thing is £140 ish reatil, and takes 5 minutes to change (just make sure you use the correct plugs and it won't need changing).

Is it better than an Omega?

Yes and no.

Ride is certainly better in the Omega, but this is the sports version.
Omega is quieter.
Omega has more toys (no self dipping mirror! :()
Omega is RWD!
When it goes wrong, the Omega is generally cheaper to fix.

Saab has brilliant seats.
Saab has bl**dy good brakes!
Saab is a hatchback!
Saab won't rust (unless you crash it!) and build quality is superb.

Oh and it goes like a rocket when you want it to! Overtaking in this is just so easy! :)

No, the 9-3 and the 9-5 are very different cars. This is a "true" Saab, and as such I prefer it .
The new 9-3 and 9-5 are very good though, and much improved from the earlier models that were blighted with issues.
The new Saab with the 2.8 V6 twin turbo and 4WD, now that should be an awesome car! :)

The Administrator.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 October 2006, 20:18:52 »

Sounds like a nice car m8y good buy  :y
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.