Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Quite a big water leak.  (Read 4765 times)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Quite a big water leak.
« on: 28 July 2017, 13:24:43 »

Ok, what next after HBV?

I've had a slow water leak for a couple of years that has now got to the point where I decided to do something about it.

Last weekend I changed the expansion tank for a new one. The old one wasn't leaking, but the level sensor had packed up which isn't ideal if you've got a known water leak.  ::)

I also changed the HBV. The old one wasn't showing any signs of leaking whilst in the car, and it appears to be water tight now it's off the car. The new has also been bone dry every time I've checked it in the car.

Today the water initially was dripping from both sides of the gearbox to the rear of the bell housing, so I self diagnosed heater matrix  >:( and water coming out of the two vents. You do get whiffs of antifrees in the car, but as far as I can tell the carpets aren't ever wet, and the car doesn't steam up. So today I've just bypasses the matrix by replacing it with a copper U bend and jubilee clipping it up tight. Then ran the car for 30 minutes. Initially water was dripping from the same place, but water is now dripping from further forwards - off the passenger side exhaust manifold to exhaust junction, and off both bottom bolts of the bell housing. The water is warm/hot, and pink (I collected some in a Pot Noodle pot).

The heater matrix U bend bodge and the HBV are both bone dry. So whilst the heater matrix itself could still be faulty, it's not in the water circuit now so the leak ain't (only) that.

So what's the next likely candidate? The rubber pipework round the back of the engine is dry as far as I can reach it. Anyone got any good piccies of the rear/top of an engine. I've got vague memories of an aluminium pipe bolted to the back of the block with god awfull access to the bolts securing it.

Cheers
Malcolm 

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Quite a big water leak.
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2017, 13:47:52 »

Not knowing which engine, or its age .. this is purely a guess, but older V6's did have an issue with leaking oil coolers ... that lives in the "V" of the engine and any water escaping there would drip down the back eventually ....   :(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2017, 13:53:26 »

Water either side of gearbox is Aircon condensate and perfectly normal.

Heater matrix only ever leaks internally, but the sound insulation under the driver's footwell carpet will absorb a couple of litres before the carpet feels wet :y

Oil cooler cover plate or head gasket... Plenum off time...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2017, 13:56:14 »

Malcolm, I feel your pain! I have a slow leak from (I think) the side tank of the radiator, as I posted a while back. I've used a UV tracer dye and a UV torch, which revealed some areas of leakiness, which I sealed with epoxy resin - and still the bugger leaks! Only a little; enough to require topping up after about 50 miles, but very annoying.
If you are interested, I'll find the ebay links for both the dye and the torch, as they were reasonably priced.
It was great fun shining the torch on various domestic items in the dark and seeing them glow.....perhaps I should get out more?  :-[

Ron.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2017, 14:10:41 »

Ahh yes, sorry all. X30XE RHD saloon Omega.

Not if it's pink and full of antifreeze though, which this is.

Heater matrix only ever leaks internally, but the sound insulation under the driver's footwell carpet will absorb a couple of litres before the carpet feels wet :y
I had the carpets up/out a while back and everything was dry which is why I had previously discounted the matrix. I really, REALLY don't want it to be the matrix for obvious reasons, but sods law says... Never had an Omega apart, but on the Carlton there are two short rubber pipes under the HVAC box, one each side of the transmission tunnel. As you say these are for A/C water condensate, but a matrix leak on a Carlton can just leak out of these (although it usually pisses all over the carpets too). Is the Omega the same? 

Great, Sooper, Cock.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2017, 14:22:49 »

Ahh yes, sorry all. X30XE

1998 year?

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 July 2017, 14:32:28 »

1998 year?

Car is 2001/Y. Engine is newer, but don't have the number here. The original was replaced by one I bought from someone on here about 5 years ago when I had an oil pickup blockage that destroyed the bottom end.

Scrub that - Just remembered I wrote the numbers in the Haynes manual I carry in the boot. Original engine was 08247090, new one is 08491727.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 July 2017, 14:41:35 »

Reason for asking is for some reason 1998 3.0's appeared to have more HG failure's than any other year.

Toledodude1973

• Omega Knight
  • IPSWICH U.K.
  • 2002 2.6 elite,1973 ,Gas van,1974 victor fe
    • 2.6 OMEGA ELITE 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2017, 17:48:46 »

I changed HBV to no avail, ended up being heater hose connection. Renewed hose and all was well .Might be worth a look as it wasn't obvious.
2002 omega slowly morphing into 2003 omega with increasing doner parts fitted

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2017, 18:11:54 »

My money is on the oil cooler plate.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 July 2017, 18:39:13 »

Reason for asking is for some reason 1998 3.0's appeared to have more HG failure's than any other year.
That issue is clearly visible that its dripping from the back of the 2/4/6 bank, so hopefully not the case here :)
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 July 2017, 20:27:35 »

My money is on the oil cooler plate.  :y

Mine too.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 July 2017, 20:58:11 »

Several coolant pipes at the back of the V and only really visible with the plenum off.

Best bet would be to remove the plenum and have a thorough look around all hoses and securing clips as all suspects to leak.Worth while getting a pressure test on it as that will be more conclusive ,but as mentioned..oil cooler plate/coolant hoses and clips usual suspects and straight forward fixes :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 July 2017, 21:20:45 »

Ahh yes, sorry all. X30XE RHD saloon Omega.

Not if it's pink and full of antifreeze though, which this is.Aircon condensate drains from the tubes either side of the bell housing. Not from the bolts

I had the carpets up/out a while back and everything was dry which is why I had previously discounted the matrix. I really, REALLY don't want it to be the matrix for obvious reasons, but sods law says... Never had an Omega apart, but on the Carlton there are two short rubber pipes under the HVAC box, one each side of the transmission tunnel. As you say these are for A/C water condensate, but a matrix leak on a Carlton can just leak out of these (although it usually pisses all over the carpets too). Is the Omega the same?  Physically impossible on the Omega as the evaporator and its drains are ABOVE the heater matrix.

Great, Sooper, Cock.
Aye.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 July 2017, 21:22:53 »

1998 year?

Car is 2001/Y. Engine is newer, but don't have the number here. The original was replaced by one I bought from someone on here about 5 years ago when I had an oil pickup blockage that destroyed the bottom end.

Scrub that - Just remembered I wrote the numbers in the Haynes manual I carry in the boot. Original engine was 08247090, new one is 08491727.
2001 Y is a very, very late 3.0... a newer engine would surely be a 3.2. ???
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.