Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Off to Krakow  (Read 1704 times)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
Off to Krakow
« on: 19 January 2015, 19:07:10 »

The big 40 is on it's way so me and wifey are off here tomorrow for a few days, obligatory tour of Auschwitz is on the cards and not really looking forward to it but feels like the right thing to do  :-\but also spotted a decent looking air museum full of MIG's. Anyone been? have reccomendations for stuff to do? Very cheap beer/vodka  :y :y :y
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Off to Krakow
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2015, 19:21:40 »

Never been to Krakow, its on my list, been to Warsaw a couple of times, I dont do Vodka but got persuaded to try some of their Fruit Flavored and Bison ones, very good, plenty of good Polish Beers on tap, try and find an authentic Polish Restaurant and sample some good old fashioned Polish Food.  :y

Mostly very friendly people, but with most European Cities, theres always someone out for a scam, do your homework before jumping in a Taxi (especially at Airports, Hotels and Train Stations), Pick Pockets etc, apart from that enjoy!  :y
« Last Edit: 19 January 2015, 19:23:55 by zirk »

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2015, 19:42:30 »

The big 40 is on it's way so me and wifey are off here tomorrow for a few days, obligatory tour of Auschwitz is on the cards and not really looking forward to it but feels like the right thing to do  :-\but also spotted a decent looking air museum full of MIG's. Anyone been? have reccomendations for stuff to do? Very cheap beer/vodka  :y :y :y

lot cheaper then in UK thats way all poles drinking ::)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2015, 20:16:48 »

I've heard talk of 75p a pint :o , got taxis sorted and a really nice apartment booked for £25 a night :y We haven't been away without the little un for about 8 yrs, christ knows what we are going to talk about  ;D
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2015, 20:34:30 »

I've heard talk of 75p a pint :o , got taxis sorted and a really nice apartment booked for £25 a night :y We haven't been away without the little un for about 8 yrs, christ knows what we are going to talk about  ;D
about 1-1.5 pound at pub or restaurant or if you visit some back street places you can buy beer for about 50 pence.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2015, 20:40:30 »

We haven't been away without the little un for about 8 yrs, christ knows what we are going to talk about  ;D

Erm....  :-\  ;D ;D ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2015, 20:42:17 »

We haven't been away without the little un for about 8 yrs, christ knows what we are going to talk about  ;D

Omegas  :D
Hoof'land storeman.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2015, 12:07:34 »

but also spotted a decent looking air museum full of MIG's. Anyone been?

Yup- been several times. If you're into cold war jets then it is indeed a fantastic museum. Probably about 100 airframes including over a dozen Mig-21's, plus Su7/22s, Mig-23/27s etc. There is also some western stuff - from memory a Viggen, Draken, Mirage V, Harrier, Jaguar. It's mostly outdoors (a few small hangars containing firewood) and at this time of year likely to be a bit on the parky side. It's on the site of an old airport although it's now been mostly built on. I've always had a hire car, but there is a nearby tram stop if you can be bothered to work out how these work.

http://www.eurodemobbed.org.uk/locations.php?location=1723

Krakow airport is dual use military/civil. Based there are the Polish airforce transport fleet of Cn-295's, plus some older stuff like An-26, An-2 and a few Mil-2/8 helicopters. To see these, make sure you're sat at a right hand side window when the plane lands/takes off - your RhinoAir/SleasyJet will taxy past the Mil ramp to the civil terminal (which is buried deep in the trees). 

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2015, 13:03:00 »

Went to Krakow. Absolutely loved it. Our hostel was just across from the main square.

Hopefully its still there..... check out a restaurant on the left hand side of the square thats a grill type place. Their ribs, sourcrout (spell check) and dumplings were to die for.

And yes of course the Auschwitz tour is unmissable. The gas chamber (just the one left if i remember right) is creepy. especially when a jewish family all dropped to their knees and started crying.  :'(
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 January 2015, 11:29:41 »

Well got back last night and had a lovely time, apartment was superb and the beer outstanding! Food pretty good and cheap but I think the nightly kebab has had a lasting effect on me :o

Went to the air museum and it was pretty good but little mention of the 303 squadron who did so well in the Battle of Britain :-\

Auschwitz and Birkenau are absolutely gutwrenchingly chilling, hard to take in that you are looking at the remains of the gas chambers and crematoria where 1,100,000 people met their end in just a few years :'(.

Taxi driver coming back to the airport suggested Ukraine as a good place to visit..perhaps he didn't see the news yesterday !

hawke113a

• Intermediate Member
  • leeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 January 2015, 12:00:27 »

might look into it myself....sounds interesting

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 January 2015, 13:16:36 »

might look into it myself....sounds interesting

If you do give me a shout for the company we stayed with, top notch !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.