Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Corsa, Engine Problems  (Read 20566 times)

aaronjb

Re: Corsa, Engine Problems
« Reply #135 on: 02 March 2018, 13:28:11 »

Depends on the engine - if the pin floats in the conrod then there's usually a direct oiling method (passageway in the conrod), I believe, but on a non-floating pin the rod doesn't need oiling at the top end and the piston can (apparently) live with splash oiling

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 02 March 2018, 18:08:58 »

The bottom oil control ring is always scraping oil off the bore and most of this is channeled through holes in the skirt where it then dribbles down onto the gud-geon pin.

That and a ready supply of oil being thrown off the big end. Oil jets are sometimes also added, either in the block or using a passage up the conrod, often because more cooling is required.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 05 March 2018, 08:07:17 »

Generally oil jets are only included for cooling as it can increase oil consumption, most petrol turbos have them.

The usual oiling method for a pin that floats in the rod (and hence the rod usually has a pressed in bush), is a small hole in the top to let oil mist/spray in.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 27 March 2018, 18:32:28 »

Finally found a bit of motivation to get this moving, again.

Today I jetwashed off the head and had a proper look at it. I removed the broken valve for a proper inspection - thankfully the valve seat has escaped fine :y

Unfortunately, the cup in my valve spring compressor which goes over the spring is too big, even on the smallest setting. This head is quite small, and needs quite a narrow valve spring compressor.

I am wondering if I can improvise something to fit the top of my valves, by getting some thinner tubing, and using the angle grinder.

I removed the broken valve by pressing the spring down with a 14mm spanner whilst removing the colletts with a small magnetic screwdriver, but it killed my hand, I don't fancy doing that for all 12! (And I don't fancy my chances of refitting, this way)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 27 March 2018, 21:13:35 »

I've  just completed completely rebuilding a corsa 1.2 (Z12xep) main & big ends,rings,head work,valve stem seals,tappets etc, (spent £400+ on parts )
getting the valves out is easy compared to trying to re-fit  :(
the collets are tiny ,there is no room to get in to put the collets in place,
 then PING ,spend half hour looking for the 2 collet sections that just fired out to who knows where.
i put the head on an mdf board with a cloth to stop the valves pushing down ,
pushed down/compressed the spring with a tube with 2 prongs fashioned with an angle grinder spring end, cloth pad the other (pushed tube with my chest ,stuck the collets to my fingers with grease to get them in place )
was a total nightmare , i have a big valve spring compressor and a small pickavant one, neither worked.
ok, so i have fat sausage fingers ,  ;D
took me all day and evening to get 16 valves (which i had lapped previously ) back in .
someone  on ebay sells 2 collets for about £6 when you loose some

i suspect your local engine  place has special tools to put the collets back and can do the job in seconds for peanuts
I would not do the valve re-assembly again without finding out how much it costs to be "someone else's problem"

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 27 March 2018, 21:45:10 »

Managed to fabricate something to fit my spring compressor from some old waste water pipe, £2 from b+q. Got three valves back in so far, works a treat.

Magnetic screwdriver and a dab of grease on the inside of the collett makes reinstallation pretty easy :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 27 March 2018, 22:15:20 »

Managed to fabricate something to fit my spring compressor from some old waste water pipe, £2 from b+q. Got three valves back in so far, works a treat.

Magnetic screwdriver and a dab of grease on the inside of the collet makes reinstallation pretty easy :y

Get yourself one of THESE Which are also good for the V6 and many other DOHC engines.
I just use a smaller dab of grease on the screwdriver to move the collet into place.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.