Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "The Shed" - My Omega 2.5 TD CDX Auto Estate  (Read 11321 times)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: "The Shed" - My Omega 2.5 TD CDX Auto Estate
« Reply #15 on: 27 July 2016, 19:38:05 »

Craig, you said above it needs an oil change. Please do that as matter of urgency. The TD's suffer if not changed at least every 3k. I do mine now at about 2k.  :y

Try using a truck specific oil, 10/40 semi or a fully at 5/30, these contain, some better detergents, and other additives that, car based oils don't,.. Bear in mind large fleets now use full fat 5/30or 0/30 and change at 100,000k,  :o
Hoof'land storeman.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 July 2016, 21:36:37 »

can get you genuine Vx 10-40 on trade, craig, if you like?  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Scatmancraig

• Skellingthorpe, Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 July 2016, 07:47:16 »

can get you genuine Vx 10-40 on trade, craig, if you like?  :)
I could do with some.  I have trade club, but I've never used it at the local GM dealer.  Oil and filter change is definitely on my list.  Did you get my PM about me popping over next weekend? 

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 July 2016, 09:08:28 »

I did mate, busy couple of evenings, I'll give you a bell this eve if I can half a chance, to arrange what and where/how etc.. haven't forgotten :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 July 2016, 06:12:17 »

I did mate, busy couple of evenings, I'll give you a bell this eve if I can half a chance, to arrange what and where/how etc.. haven't forgotten :y
No worries mate. Be good to catch up, seems a long time since we were cutting part of the front end of a Monza!

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 July 2016, 09:04:05 »

Hahah. Yes, it does!

You'll have noticed I never rang last night. Had some news last night, just needed to get some other stuff done. Will try tonight, lad  :)

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 July 2016, 17:08:37 »

Had a fun afternoon on the car.

Decided to investigate the cooling system as the viscous cuts in too early and once its in, it never cuts out again, despite the temp gauge showing normal.  Tested the electric fans by unplugging the radiator sensors and shorting the contacts.  The top sensor puts the fans on slow, the bottom one puts them on fast.  So at least they work!

Next job was to remove the radiator and clean it.  My car has evidently had a massive oil leak at some point in the past, and there was black crud all over the radiator fins and everywhere else.  So I took the radiator in my girlfriends car to the local Morrisons jet wash and blasted as much out as I could.  Also flushed the radiator out at the same time. 

While the radiator was out, I removed the viscous fan assembly, really easy to do.  I'm keeping it in the boot for now as I could refit it in a matter of minutes should I need to.  Put it all back together and went for a blast.  The car still seems to get hot quickly if you thrash it, but normal running is fine.  I've still got to replace the coolant anyway as there can't be a lot of anti-freeze left after today.  Got it hot enough to cut the fans in at low speed, so I'm reassured that they at least work automatically.  I'll probably fit some manual override switches to both sensors at some point, really easy to do and gives me a bit of peace of mind should I need to activate the fans for whatever reason.  But at least with the viscous removed, it'll be a bit quieter and it may even make a marginal improvement to fuel economy too!
« Last Edit: 31 July 2016, 17:10:10 by Scatmancraig »

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 July 2016, 17:41:03 »

« Last Edit: 31 July 2016, 17:42:54 by Scatmancraig »

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 August 2016, 18:54:44 »

Today I made the journey to Diamond Black Geezers place to pick up a few spares he very kindly sorted for me. To my other half and her mother and brother too, so they could have a day at the seaside while I disappeared to do something more productive. 

It must be quite a rare thing to have 3 earlier Omegas together these days, I hadn't appreciated how rare the PFL cars are getting...

Got 20 litres of Vauxhalls finest 10w40 semi-synthetic oil now, ready for my oil change.  After reading a comment on my post about cooling issues, I'm not sure whether to run some oil flush through the engine before I drop the old oil out?  I'm heard mixed opinions about it causing other problems, but I want to try and get the inside of the engine as clean as possible. 

Also collected a spare viscous fan.  Fitted it, exactly the same symptoms as my old one, so I'm now convinced my engine is running too hot.  Mind you, it is 25 degrees outside, which can't help.  Fresh anti-freeze might though, as it's just got straight water in it since I flushed out the entire cooling system with a hosepipe yesterday.  I might run some coolant flush through the system as well, if such a product is available out there?

Amongst the other bits I got were an engine undertray, spare indicator stalk, various interior parts, spare set of diesel injectors, speakers, fuel filters, a replacement wheel centre cap (I only have 3 of them), dash bulbs etc. 

Add the above to the transmission gaskets and filter that arrived last week, I just need to get an engine oil filter, air filter, and plenty of ATF for the transmission fluid change, and I can finally give the car a decent, (and probably much overdue), service!

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 August 2016, 18:57:36 »

Have you checked that your water pump impeller is still attached to the shaft?

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 August 2016, 19:07:11 »

Have you checked that your water pump impeller is still attached to the shaft?
No!  I take it that means removing the water pump?  Not sure what's involved in removing the water pump on the TD, I only have a Haynes book for the petrol Omega as I couldn't find a diesel one.

Surely if the water pump was shagged, it would get hot with normal running as well wouldn't it?  It's only when you really thrash it, then it gets warm.  Normal driving there isn't as much of an issue, other than the engine being hot enough to lock the viscous fan.  The electric fans don't come on until after 95 degrees, and it hasn't got that hot today, even on my drive across the wolds with 3 passengers in 25 degree heat.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 August 2016, 10:44:37 »

Today I made the journey to Diamond Black Geezers place to pick up a few spares he very kindly sorted for me. To my other half and her mother and brother too, so they could have a day at the seaside while I disappeared to do something more productive. 

It must be quite a rare thing to have 3 earlier Omegas together these days, I hadn't appreciated how rare the PFL cars are getting...

Got 20 litres of Vauxhalls finest 10w40 semi-synthetic oil now, ready for my oil change.  After reading a comment on my post about cooling issues, I'm not sure whether to run some oil flush through the engine before I drop the old oil out?  I'm heard mixed opinions about it causing other problems, but I want to try and get the inside of the engine as clean as possible. 

Also collected a spare viscous fan.  Fitted it, exactly the same symptoms as my old one, so I'm now convinced my engine is running too hot.  Mind you, it is 25 degrees outside, which can't help.  Fresh anti-freeze might though, as it's just got straight water in it since I flushed out the entire cooling system with a hosepipe yesterday.  I might run some coolant flush through the system as well, if such a product is available out there?

Amongst the other bits I got were an engine undertray, spare indicator stalk, various interior parts, spare set of diesel injectors, speakers, fuel filters, a replacement wheel centre cap (I only have 3 of them), dash bulbs etc. 

Add the above to the transmission gaskets and filter that arrived last week, I just need to get an engine oil filter, air filter, and plenty of ATF for the transmission fluid change, and I can finally give the car a decent, (and probably much overdue), service!

Pleasure to catch up. That is a cracking photo! You're very welcome, any other niggly bits, you know where I am  :)

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 August 2016, 07:28:26 »

Pleasure to catch up. That is a cracking photo! You're very welcome, any other niggly bits, you know where I am  :)
Really appreciate your help so far.  I'm sure there will be other things I will need over time!

Bit of progress yesterday.  Flushed the cooling system out yesterday with a product I got from my local factors.  The water that came out of the system was a little murky, but no lumpy bits in it.  Flushed it all through again with straight water till it was running clear, even blew through the system backwards just to be sure.  Dropped the contents of the system out again and added new GM long-life anti-freeze with a 50/50 mixture. 

When I first went for a drive a little later on, the engine was cool but the viscous fan was still howling, as it was when I pulled up after getting home from work.  But, miraculously, after a mile or so it all it went quiet, and it hasn't been back on since!  Originally, it would lock in approx 3/4 of the way through my journey to work, and the same on the way home, and then stay on all the time until the car had been left stood for a few hours or more.  This morning I went a longer way to work on purpose, and it was silent all the way.  The gauge still shows the same readings as it did before (sits just aboe 90 during normal running), but the flushing stuff and fresh coolant seems to have made something of a difference.  Well that or the replacement viscous has suddenly started to freewheel for no reason!

The acid test will be to get the car warmed up, then give it a bit of a thrashing to see if it starts getting hot too quickly.  But before I do that I'm going to change the oil and filter.  Got a new filter last night, and some oil flush.  Was sort of reassured that the motor factors had sold an oil and filter for this car to a previous owner last August, as the registration was still on their computer.  So at least it has had an oil change in the last 12 months!!

So has the coolant flush really improved things?  Or is it just a just a coincidence??  Only time will tell........
« Last Edit: 09 August 2016, 07:36:13 by Scatmancraig »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 August 2016, 09:18:40 »

That fan has been sitting around in the garage for a few years, but could have just 'freed' up maybe? But certainly the coolant flush didn't hurt, and really glad you're making headway, lad! What was this flush product? Did you use the drain on the rad, did you say, or pull the hose off? Presumably the latter would bring out the 'big chunks'  :)

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 August 2016, 20:01:48 »

That fan has been sitting around in the garage for a few years, but could have just 'freed' up maybe? But certainly the coolant flush didn't hurt, and really glad you're making headway, lad! What was this flush product? Did you use the drain on the rad, did you say, or pull the hose off? Presumably the latter would bring out the 'big chunks'  :)
I'd be very surprised if the fan was at fault.  But something is still not right with the coolant circuit.  I'll keep the updates on this in the correct thread to avoid posting everything twice....

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=136801.15

At least I've managed to get the oil and filter changed tonight, that job went without a hitch, thankfully.  Dropped some engine flushing additive in the old oil before dropping it out.  Managed to resecure the dipstick tube to the oil filter housing, some previous owner had held it on with cable ties!  Will do the fuel and air filters in the next few days, I want to concentrate on getting to the bottom of the cooling system first!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.