Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: White smoke.  (Read 8464 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: White smoke.
« Reply #45 on: 19 June 2018, 07:48:01 »

The chassis plate you refer to will be I imagine the engine undertray[from memory 4 bolts hold that on]My V70 had a similar leak as in it would leak for a short time after being turned off but only long enough to leave a small damp patch on the floor.Oddly enough although there's more stuff to remove/disconnect to change the Omega radiator it was a lot faster to change that[again from memory about two and a half hours]than the V70s that I did last Sunday that took me 7hrs :o

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 19 June 2018, 09:17:35 »

Hi all,a quick update.Took the car out tonight 20 mile run came back home,and parked up.With the engine running no smoke or steam and no coolant dripping on the floor.However with the engine off coolant is dripping from around the rad drain plug area,on the right(can't see exactly where from). But it dripping through a hole in the middle of what looks like some kind of chassis plate,below and to the right of the drain plug.As i say i can't pinpoint exactly where the leak is,but at least i have found the area.Anyone have any ideas where it might becoming from,also why is it not leaking when running but leaking when off. :-\ :(. Dean.

almost certain that it will be a hairline crack somewhere on the passenger side of the rad. This is very similar to how mine was leaking . Could not see the actual leak ( small very fine hairline crack about 25mm long) until rad was removed.

IMO   when you stop running  the engine after it has reached full running temp ,there will be a heat build up as water pump is not circulating coolant & therefore an increase in pressure in the system  occurs .

There is I believe an "over run" of the fan/s  & possibly aux pump to counter act this, but the only time I visibly saw any steam rising  on my leaking rad , was in this situation a few minutes after engine shut down & on a VERY cold day

After your 20 mile run  . . .had the header tank level dropped at all?
« Last Edit: 19 June 2018, 09:21:37 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 19 June 2018, 09:21:21 »

The radiator drain plug does have a rubber washer that can perish, but that doesn't answer why no leak when the engine is running.  ???

Ron.
No, they have a dowty washer and two inner seals :y

The washer corrodes over time. Also the plug can become brittle and snap off, causing a permanent leak...

Drain plugs were available new... If it's a red plug ask VX. But you'll need to pull the radiator to remove the old one if it snaps. At which point you would be daft not to fit a new radiator  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 19 June 2018, 10:34:10 »

That's to say the genuine radiators/drain plugs...

Aftermarket are slightly different and tend to have a rubber o ring rather than a washer :y

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • vauxhall omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 19 June 2018, 13:36:49 »

Hi all,so it looks like a trip to sereks just hope i make it.I am still a bit confused as to why it leaks when turned off,and no leak when running.Dean. :-\ :(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 19 June 2018, 14:07:02 »

Because the water is circulating rather than backed up behind the water pump and thermostat  :y

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 19 June 2018, 14:11:57 »

Because the water is circulating rather than backed up behind the water pump and thermostat  :y
Hi DG,so while it is running i am not loosing any coolant so should be good to use the car.So long as i keep checking the coolant level,is that right mate.Dean.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 19 June 2018, 14:17:29 »

Hi all,so it looks like a trip to sereks just hope i make it.I am still a bit confused as to why it leaks when turned off,and no leak when running.Dean. :-\ :(

If it is a small leak then it might simply be "blown away" by airflow from either/both of forward movement or fans. Once stopped the fluid "collects" and becomes visible, especially as, already said, the pressure in the system is higher a short time after switching off than it is when running.

One method of finding small leaks that can work is coloured food dye - bright yellow - added to the water.. makes it far easier to see, and dries to leave a stain that can be traced, another is to use blue "kimwipe" type paper cloth, this gets much darker when wet than when dry, and it stays like that for a little while...... so wrap it around suspect areas, secure with tape, go for a drive and then look for the colour change, might help you pinpoint the leak ??

I've used both methods with success in the past.

:)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 19 June 2018, 15:20:45 »

Halfords do an assorted O ring pack, it contains the right sized for the drain plug, had it most of mine and is a 2 minute fix if you can catch the coolant all the better
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 19 June 2018, 16:37:54 »

Hi all,just been out to the car small 6 inch damp patch under where the leak is.A small drop in coolant in the expansion tank, until serek fits a new rad i will just have to monitor it.Dean.

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 19 June 2018, 17:38:45 »

Hi all,just been out to the car small 6 inch damp patch under where the leak is.A small drop in coolant in the expansion tank, until serek fits a new rad i will just have to monitor it.Dean.

Dean  . . .IMO   its ok to use your car ( until you can get it to Serek) as it is only losing a small amount of coolant. You need to check coolant level after each trip & top up with 50/50 mix.
I ran mine for several months before I got around to fitting a new rad. :-X

My temp gauge read normal all the time  while using it like that, & I think an overheating issue will only start to occur one the the header tank is completley empty & coolant is being lost from the remainder of the system .

What would assist you up to then is that if you could get the "Low Coolant Warning" working again.  ;)

As this will tell you when the header tank is down to about half full.   HTH   ;)
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 19 June 2018, 19:34:31 »

Unfortunately, IIRC that involves a new header tank and sensor. :(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 19 June 2018, 19:50:16 »

Yup...

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 19 June 2018, 19:59:55 »

£40 and ten minutes. Quick, cheap and easy.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 20 June 2018, 17:38:14 »

£40 and ten minutes. Quick, cheap and easy.
Christ, when did they go up that much? Last one I bought was £25, and delivered on a nice van from my not-so-local dealer.  But that was a couple of years back.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.