Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Breakdown advice  (Read 5618 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Breakdown advice
« Reply #15 on: 29 July 2018, 11:42:43 »

Temp gauges will stay in the middle as long as the engine temperature is 'within a range'. That's why, if they do start moving upwards, you should pay attention to them.

Don't have one......or a dipstick. :-\

No idea how dirty the oil is or even if it has been changed.

Is there not the provision for a service dip-stick like those Mercs without one? eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Engine-Oil-Dipstick-Tool-For-Mercedes-Benz-C240-C320-SL-CL-SLK-CLK-CLS-C-E-S/113166867117?hash=item1a59455aad:g:VfgAAOSwdaBbV92d YOu appear to use these arse about face from a normal dip-stick in that you insert it till it hits the bottom of the sump & you take note of how 'deep' the oil is.

Mine does have a normal dip-stick

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 July 2018, 13:15:43 »

Temp gauges will stay in the middle as long as the engine temperature is 'within a range'. That's why, if they do start moving upwards, you should pay attention to them.

Don't have one......or a dipstick. :-\

No idea how dirty the oil is or even if it has been changed.

Is there not the provision for a service dip-stick like those Mercs without one? eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Engine-Oil-Dipstick-Tool-For-Mercedes-Benz-C240-C320-SL-CL-SLK-CLK-CLS-C-E-S/113166867117?hash=item1a59455aad:g:VfgAAOSwdaBbV92d YOu appear to use these arse about face from a normal dip-stick in that you insert it till it hits the bottom of the sump & you take note of how 'deep' the oil is.

Mine does have a normal dip-stick

I'll check, Mr Beanz.......but not for the first time I don't think I have a hole to put it in. :o

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 July 2018, 13:41:41 »

..........but not for the first time I don't think I have a hole to put it in. :o

Oooer  ;D

2boxerdogs

« Reply #18 on: 29 July 2018, 13:48:49 »

No dipstick & no spare wheel the world has gone crazy! Fortunately I have these on all my vehicles, old fashioned I know but they serve a purpose.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2018, 13:51:20 by Tilbo »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 July 2018, 13:56:53 »

No dipstick & no spare wheel the world has gone crazy! Fortunately I have these on all my vehicles, old fashioned I know but they serve a purpose.

Practical. Useful.

Why should people have to pay extra for a spare wheel? :-\

Try fixing a blowout with a can of poxy foam.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 July 2018, 14:08:50 »

Can a tyre be fixed properly after a can of goo has been squirted in?  ???

I had an inexplicable flat on the Mondeo a few weeks ago.  It suddenly went down, I put the spare on and a couple of days later took the wheel to a tyreshop where they could find nothing wrong.  :-\  No puncture, no corrosion on the rim, valve was OK.. Nada!  ::)

If I had squirted a can of goo in to get me home, would I have wrecked the tyre?  ???
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

2boxerdogs

« Reply #21 on: 29 July 2018, 14:27:43 »

Practical. Useful.

Been saying this for years Opti & I still get idiots trying to tell me the benefits of a can of goo it's all 'dangle berries' , would never buy a car that had no provision for a spare wheel, and as for no dipstick that beggars belief.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 July 2018, 16:46:44 »

Practical. Useful.

Been saying this for years Opti & I still get idiots trying to tell me the benefits of a can of goo it's all 'dangle berries' , would never buy a car that had no provision for a spare wheel, and as for no dipstick that beggars belief.

Agreed :y

I would never trust a can of that goo. I would always prefer to put on the spare or get the AA to do so if tipping down with rain and windy!! :D :D ;)

STEMO

« Reply #23 on: 29 July 2018, 18:05:33 »

Yes, but as I've explained before, it's a fuel saving device. Every ounce counts when you're trying to increase your advertised mpg.
Stop/start is another useless piece of dung, but it does save fuel.

STEMO

« Reply #24 on: 29 July 2018, 18:07:46 »

I thought my astra had gained a good few bhp the other day, it seemed to be quiet and the acceleration seemed effortless. Then I remembered I'd emptied everything out of the back to clean it.  ;D
Weight uses fuel, no ifs or buts.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 July 2018, 19:48:25 »

I have a dip-stick .... I mean my Merc does  ;) but it also has one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuJZSRC4WQ not sure I'd want to maul about on the hard shoulder inflating it though  ???

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 July 2018, 19:59:41 »

I have a dip-stick .... I mean my Merc does  ;) but it also has one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuJZSRC4WQ not sure I'd want to maul about on the hard shoulder inflating it though  ???

So they have found room for a pump, but can't find room for a proper spare or even a skinny space saver?  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 July 2018, 20:25:26 »

In answer to Sir Tigs question once the can of goo has been used on a tyre no it cannot be repaired even if the puncture was within the limits for a repair to be done.The goo is a temporary fix to basically get you to nearest tyre place-although I suspect many people will run about for a lot longer than that-and the punctured tyre is/should be scrapped.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29 July 2018, 20:26:11 »

So they have found room for a pump, but can't find room for a proper spare or even a skinny space saver?  :-\

There's plenty of depth where the spare lives ..... just lacking in diameter  .....  ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 July 2018, 20:28:22 »

In answer to Sir Tigs question once the can of goo has been used on a tyre no it cannot be repaired even  ....

Pretty sure that's not true. Some goo is water based, some is solvent based but tyre place aren't always prepared to clean the tyre of even the water based goo & have a blanket statement of no repair when goo is used.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.