Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Breakdown advice  (Read 5618 times)

STEMO

Re: Breakdown advice
« Reply #30 on: 29 July 2018, 21:00:09 »

No dipstick & no spare wheel the world has gone crazy! Fortunately I have these on all my vehicles, old fashioned I know but they serve a purpose.

I have a dip-stick .... I mean my Merc does  ;) but it also has one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuJZSRC4WQ not sure I'd want to maul about on the hard shoulder inflating it though  ???
Call me geeky but I think that's great  ;D

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 30 July 2018, 08:13:39 »

No dipstick & no spare wheel the world has gone crazy! Fortunately I have these on all my vehicles, old fashioned I know but they serve a purpose.

I have a dip-stick .... I mean my Merc does  ;) but it also has one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuJZSRC4WQ not sure I'd want to maul about on the hard shoulder inflating it though  ???

My Touareg has the same useless POS,once its 14 or so years old and the rubber has hardened the compressor supplied has no chance of pumping it up,don't ask me how I know :-X
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 30 July 2018, 08:34:03 »

Call me geeky but I think that's great  ;D

Wearing your full Roy Orbison full-nerd spectacles, you take the expandable spare out of the wheel well where it fits tightly, connect the compressor before doing anything else(being a nerd, you have previously read the instructions and know that it takes a while to inflate), jack and remove the wheel with a flat tyre, fit the whizzy spare wheel, and take the car off the jack.

What a cool idea you think.

Then, you try to fit the full size wheel into the wheel well.

What oppsing IDIOT thought of this? is your next thought, as the damn thing doesn't fit. This is a common problem with spacesaver spare wheels too.

aaronjb

« Reply #33 on: 30 July 2018, 08:58:26 »

I believe the advice on current theory tests is that you should not under any circumstances, try to change your own wheel at the side of the road.

So.. why would manufacturers waste money putting a spare in, when all you're going to do is call Green Flag/RAC/AA/etc? ;)

2boxerdogs

« Reply #34 on: 30 July 2018, 09:40:46 »

I believe the advice on current theory tests is that you should not under any circumstances, try to change your own wheel at the side of the road.

So.. why would manufacturers waste money putting a spare in, when all you're going to do is call Green Flag/RAC/AA/etc? ;)

A lot of folk would not have a clue how to change a wheel nowadays, unfortunately this nation is turning into a bunch of wimps.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 30 July 2018, 10:08:17 »

......and as for the oil level readout. I can get it to read just about anything from "add one litre' to " too much oil"

You so need some sw updates  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 30 July 2018, 10:44:46 »

[/q
uote]

I'm guessing my feeler gauge and contact breaker will see little use in the event of a breakdown. :)

aaronjb

« Reply #37 on: 30 July 2018, 10:55:01 »

I'm guessing my feeler gauge and contact breaker will see little use in the event of a breakdown. :)

Depends if the recovery driver is an attractive lady...

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 30 July 2018, 12:24:35 »

Depends if the recovery driver is an attractive lady...

Or a really nice young man :D :D :D ;) ;D
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 30 July 2018, 13:40:36 »

As long as you have a flat outside a, hopefully open, garage/filling station, i can,t see any problem at all with that. :-[ ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 31 July 2018, 17:41:02 »

......and as for the oil level readout. I can get it to read just about anything from "add one litre' to " too much oil"
There is a hidden way to get it from "average over the last xx minutes" to a try live readout. Something like going in and reading the oil level, then pressing Cruise cancel twice. Can never remember the specifics.

Handy for when changing the oil....   ….something a man of gentry wouldn't have to do himself.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.