Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: caliper size  (Read 4680 times)

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • vauxhall omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
caliper size
« on: 23 January 2015, 14:21:38 »

Hi all,can anyone tell me the right size rear caliper for an omega 1995 3.l.To cut a long story short,i have ordered 2 now and my mechanic.Says they don't fit they are ATE but he says,the gap were the pads go in.On my car is 51mm but the ones i have got are only 45mm.Hope this makes scene,any advice welcome.Dean.

05omegav6

Re: caliper size
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2015, 15:39:06 »

Where did you buy them from? Very early cars did have some technical differences, not sure rear brakes was on that list though :-\

They should be the same, but I wonder, given the issues with fitting kits, perhaps there's some confusion between applications :-\

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2015, 16:26:21 »

Hi Al,this is the story.About 18 months ago just before i moved to hartlepool,my local mechanic fitted.New disks solid and new pads gm from andyc.But when he came to fitting the rear pads passenger side,he said he could not get the pads in.As the pistons would not go back far enough. So he left the old pads in,last week i had a new exhaust fitted here in hartlepool.While i was there i asked the mechanic to take a look at the rear brakes.He said the caliper was furberd and to have it refurbished or buy new,i decided on new.He took my VIN and ordered one from his local suppler,but when it arrived.He could not get the gm pads in,he says the gap on my caliper is 51mm.But the one delivered is 45mm,so he ordered another from a caliper suppler he knows well.But that one is wrong as well,ok i could just have my caliper refurbished.But what worry's me is that the disc and pads fit ok on the drivers rear,but not on the pass rear.Could it be a different caliper on the pass side,if so is that safe. :-\.Dean.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2015, 16:59:00 »

Are we talking front or rear?

Accept the fact that most of the generic lookup systems that the motor factors use are wrong, so don't just buy stuff based on reg.

All Omega front discs/pads are the same, except pre 1998 2.0l ones, which were smaller.

All Omega rear pads are the same, but post 2001 V6 had vented rear discs (thus different calipers).
Grumpy old man

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2015, 17:12:32 »

Accept the fact that most of the generic lookup systems that the motor factors use are wrong, so don't just buy stuff based on reg.

All Omega front discs/pads are the same, except pre 1998 2.0l ones, which were smaller.

All Omega rear pads are the same, but post 2001 V6 had vented rear discs (thus different calipers).
Hi TB rear mate,when i got the car i am sure the rear were solid.So do i need to buy a vented disc caliper,even tho the discs are solid.Dean

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2015, 17:14:33 »

Rears TB. They should be a matched pair ideally... Easily measured with the wheels off :-\

Absolutely not re vented calipers unless you also fit vented discs...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2015, 17:17:33 »

Hi TB rear mate,when i got the car i am sure the rear were solid.So do i need to buy a vented disc caliper,even tho the discs are solid.Dean
No, never fit vented calipers to cars with solid discs.

**ALL** omega rear pads are identical. Period.

If your man cannot fit them, they are either the wrong pad, or he is incompetent.
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 23 January 2015, 18:02:43 »

As above but there appear to be 3 caliper sizes based on the issues with fitting kits...

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 January 2015, 19:22:36 »

As above but there appear to be 3 caliper sizes based on the issues with fitting kits...
Al what do you mean,3 caliper sizes.Also what are the issues with fitting kits.Thanks Dean.

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2015, 20:04:33 »

Omegas have one of two rear calipers fitted to match the discs... Vented or non vented. Pads are all the same but the fitting kits match the calipers.

Recently s couple of people have tried to order aftermarket kits from various places and have been sent two different size kits, neither of which is the correct kit for vented rear brakes.

This suggests that if there are three different fitting kits, then there must be three different calipers, of which only two are used on the Omega.

On this basis, as expensive as it might be the only two options are to either have your original calipers refurbished or obtain new from Vauxhal,  with the fittings also from Vauxhall and the pads from ananywhere... :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 January 2015, 09:00:59 »

For rears, GM provide 2 only. Vented and non vented.

Given the amount of confusion and completely incorrect information in the aftermarket/pattern sector, and that TC rear pads are about a tenner (+VAT), I'm at a complete loss why anybody would ever go non GM on braking components. Granted callipers are dear, but we have a good supply here on OOF ;)

(For those not going down the Monaro/Merc brakes route)
Grumpy old man

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 January 2015, 15:06:58 »

Hi all,think i will start with refurbishing my calipers.If he still cant get the gm pads in then i am at a loss,as to what the problem is.How much do you think new vauxhall calipers and fixing kit would be.Dean. Also i think i will put a wanted add on here :y.
« Last Edit: 24 January 2015, 15:08:31 by moggy »

Simon270172

• Sheffield
    • 2.5 CDX V6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 January 2015, 17:01:51 »

Hi, just been reading this and thought I'd offer my findings though I'm not sure if it helps at all.

In my time I've owned and worked on several Senators and Carltons as well as this Omega and they all had the same rear calipers with solid discs fitted though no doubt GM gave them different part numbers.
A work mate asked me to look at his('98 omega) brakes as they were squealing, they just need a clean and free up. The rattle springs and pins were past their best though so I offered to fit some good second hand ones I had in the garage, only I couldn't because they were too short.
Now, these pins came off of my Omega when I replaced the pads and I wanted shiny new ones in there cos I'm silly like that. I had to return the first lot of new pins however because they were too long, and when the replacements arrived the packaging said for vx carlton '89 onwards.
All this leads me to believe that GM fitted whatever was in the parts bin at the time which in turn leads to the situation above.
There are two different calipers for solid discs and one for vented discs even though officially only two were fitted and at some point in the past your car has had one replaced.
One last thought, are carlton/senator pads thinner?
Either way, I hope you get it sorted.

Simon.
Regards,

Simon.

05omegav6

« Reply #13 on: 24 January 2015, 17:12:09 »

Hi, just been reading this and thought I'd offer my findings though I'm not sure if it helps at all.

In my time I've owned and worked on several Senators and Carltons as well as this Omega and they all had the same rear calipers with solid discs fitted though no doubt GM gave them different part numbers.
A work mate asked me to look at his('98 omega) brakes as they were squealing, they just need a clean and free up. The rattle springs and pins were past their best though so I offered to fit some good second hand ones I had in the garage, only I couldn't because they were too short.
Now, these pins came off of my Omega when I replaced the pads and I wanted shiny new ones in there cos I'm silly like that. I had to return the first lot of new pins however because they were too long, and when the replacements arrived the packaging said for vx carlton '89 onwards.
All this leads me to believe that GM fitted whatever was in the parts bin at the time which in turn leads to the situation above.
There are two different calipers for solid discs and one for vented discs even though officially only two were fitted and at some point in the past your car has had one replaced.
One last thought, are carlton/senator pads thinner?
Either way, I hope you get it sorted.

Simon.
Carlton/Senator/Omega rear pads all the same :y

Simon270172

• Sheffield
    • 2.5 CDX V6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 January 2015, 17:27:40 »

That's what I thought/expected.

Simon.
Regards,

Simon.

05omegav6

« Reply #15 on: 24 January 2015, 17:41:44 »

That's what I thought/expected.

Simon.
I think that the 'odd' caliper might be a Vectra B one :-\

Omega B solid discs are 12mm new, Vectra B solid discs are 10mm and would therefore demand a narrower caliper...

Lazy aftermarket part suppliers producing imaginary crossreference details and hey presto you have the wrong caliper...

To reiterate the only options are, in no particular order:

1. Buy a new caliper from Vauxhall.
2. Buy a good second hand caliper from an Omega.
3. Get a second hand caliper from an Omega and have it refurbished.
4. Take your original caliper and have it refurbished.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 January 2015, 01:10:07 »

Al,Simon thanks for all your advice.It is very much appreciated.Cant believe the previous owner used different calipers.Think i will refurbish the caliper and go from there.Thanks Dean.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 January 2015, 20:26:23 »

BTW,does any one know the exact size difference.Between the vectra b and omega b calipers.Dean.

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 26 January 2015, 20:42:29 »

BTW,does any one know the exact size difference.Between the vectra b and omega b calipers.Dean.
You already know ::)

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 January 2015, 20:55:54 »

You already know ::)
Al forgive me for being a plum, ;D.But the 12mm and the 10mm is the disk right,what is the caliper size difference.Sorry if i don't understand i am a brummy,remember. ;D ;D.

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 26 January 2015, 21:05:43 »

Plum ;D

Reread your first post :y

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 January 2015, 21:16:54 »

Plum ;D

Reread your first post :y
So to ask another plum question ;D.My caliper is 51mm so it must be a veccy one,so i just go and buy that one.Job done yes.Dean. ;D :y.BTW Al you are a very patient man. ;D
« Last Edit: 26 January 2015, 21:23:40 by moggy »

05omegav6

« Reply #22 on: 26 January 2015, 21:54:04 »

Not for long...

Original caliper was 51mm...

New calipers both 45mm and the pads don't fit...

Vented calipers are 60mm at a guess.

You either need to refurbish your original 51mm caliper, or find someone that can actually supply you with the correct parts for your car :y

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 January 2015, 22:52:56 »

Not for long...

Original caliper was 51mm...

New calipers both 45mm and the pads don't fit...

Vented calipers are 60mm at a guess.

You either need to refurbish your original 51mm caliper, or find someone that can actually supply you with the correct parts for your car :y
Thanks for your help mate :y.Going to try refurbish my calipers,see how that goes.Then change both to original spec for the omega.This is a bit of a mine field to me, i have spent over£ 1,000,000 on this car ;D ;D and its still coming up with shit that i know nothing about,but it has to be done right.Oh well,do overtime and get your wallet out,again.Regards Dean.

05omegav6

« Reply #24 on: 27 January 2015, 10:00:40 »

If you get your ORIGINAL calipers refurbished, surely they ARE Omega ones ::)

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 January 2015, 19:00:14 »

Actually Al its only the rear,passenger side i am going to have refurbished.As this was the only one he could not get the pads in to.So if this is a veccy b one then i will be getting,a refurbished veccy caliper.All the rest must be original omega ones,as the pads fit.I don't know if that makes sense,or i am just being a plum again. :-\ ;D.

Simon270172

• Sheffield
    • 2.5 CDX V6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 January 2015, 19:26:06 »

Er...probably having a moment here, but if you cant get pads in now the how will you after refurb? ???

Simon.
Regards,

Simon.

05omegav6

« Reply #27 on: 27 January 2015, 19:59:54 »

Actually Al its only the rear,passenger side i am going to have refurbished.As this was the only one he could not get the pads in to.So if this is a veccy b one then i will be getting,a refurbished veccy caliper.All the rest must be original omega ones,as the pads fit.I don't know if that makes sense,or i am just being a plum again. :-\ ;D.
You're being a plumb again... ::)

Presumably the caliper needs refurbishing/replacing because it's Donald, not because it's a Vectra caliper...

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 January 2015, 20:03:39 »

Er...probably having a moment here, but if you cant get pads in now the how will you after refurb? ???

Simon.
Good question Simon,my understanding from my mechanic is.That the pistons are so badly seized,they wont open wide enough.To get the pads in,but as you say if he cant get the pads in.After the refurb then i have a problem.Dean.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 January 2015, 20:09:03 »

You're being a plumb again... ::)

Presumably the caliper needs refurbishing/replacing because it's Donald, not because it's a Vectra caliper...
Thanks for the honesty Al(knew i could rely one you ;D)But why wont a new caliper take the pads,and can the pistons be that seized.BTW he also said the calipers he has had delivered,don't even look the same,and he did take my VIN.
« Last Edit: 27 January 2015, 20:16:18 by moggy »

05omegav6

« Reply #30 on: 27 January 2015, 20:24:24 »

It could simply be that the caliper has seized, but if the new one doesn't even look the same... Then what is there to discuss? In which case I'm inclined to agree with Tbs original thoughts :-\

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 27 January 2015, 20:38:57 »

It could simply be that the caliper has seized, but if the new one doesn't even look the same... Then what is there to discuss? In which case I'm inclined to agree with Tbs original thoughts :-\

That's what my money's on

Slightly off topic, re the vented discs and calipers, is this considered a worthwhile upgrade? :y

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 27 January 2015, 20:40:37 »

Thanks Al appreciate your comments :y.Having the work done next Thursday so i will let you know.Dean.BTW this is the number i have for the caliper.90543586 gm rear left $235.
« Last Edit: 27 January 2015, 20:49:53 by moggy »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 28 January 2015, 11:51:28 »

That's what my money's on

Slightly off topic, re the vented discs and calipers, is this considered a worthwhile upgrade? :y

I considered this for the Old Girl, after all you would, wouldn't you? It sounds cool, to start with, but looking at the amount of time and headaches vented rear discs seem to cause those who's cars have them, I think I'll stick to my standard solid rears. It's all marketing, after all, just like them bumping up the alloy wheel sizes over the years  ;)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #34 on: 28 January 2015, 12:03:17 »

They're no more or less troublesome than solid discs, you just need to be careful when ordering parts... The only real 'issue' is that the discs are more expensive...  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 28 January 2015, 18:06:59 »

No.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.