Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: crank sensor V6 replacement  (Read 4392 times)

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
crank sensor V6 replacement
« on: 26 October 2015, 18:24:25 »

i've just replaced the crank sensor using the helpful guide.  i did remove the wipers and scuttle cover and a few other hoses.  i wasn't sure from the guide where to fix the new joint in the end i have cable tied it directly to the cable tray, as far forward as i could.  this means if it ever goes again i can plug in a new one very easily without removing anything. yet to bolt the sensor itself in but i think that will be straightforward

for info here were my symptoms:
occasionally maybe one in ten or twenty starts it wouldn't start on the first turn. had about 4 or 5 of these before one day, an hour or more after stopping it wouldn't start at all, many attempts.  left it, tried again, same result.  checked all likely fuses, disconnected battery and re-connected tried again same.  called breakdown, an hour later of course when they arrived it started first time and no problems all the way home (though i didn';t dare switch it off) .  today it also started first time but too late i am binning it. car has done 90K.     

is there any explanation as to why it goes like that?  you'd think it would just go.

new pattern ones are about £17.  cheapest bosch or lucas one i could find was £64! i assume vaux the same.

i know official oof advice is to by vaux but i can't justify £64 especially because to replace the sensor in future it will be much easier - basically plug in, jack up and secure car, undo and do up one torx bolt. will buy another pattern one as spare instead. £64 is nearly 4 pattern ones.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
Re: crank sensor V6 replacement
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2015, 18:37:54 »

I think your gonna regret buying cheapo sensor  :y

When it packs up next time you may not be so lucky.. Think TB had a genuine go on him in france..And car was Dead.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2015, 18:39:22 »

If you are content with changing your pattern crank sensor annually (If you're lucky) then go for it.  :y  I'd definitely keep a spare in the boot though if you're using pattern sensors.  ;) 

The trouble is that you know it will fail and the law of sod will decree that it fails on your wedding anniversary night when you are in your best bib and tucker taking SWMBO out for a posh night out!  :D  ;D                ........ and it's pissing down!!   :o  ::)  :'(  ;D
« Last Edit: 26 October 2015, 18:41:52 by Sir Tigger »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2015, 18:47:53 »

what is it that fails on these?  is it the sensor head or the cable?

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2015, 18:50:54 »

I think the record for pattern crank sensor failing is measured in days :-X ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2015, 18:52:58 »

I think the record for pattern crank sensor failing is measured in days :-X ::)
;D ;D ;D

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2015, 20:01:54 »

i'm struggling to think what there is to fail in these - no moving parts, very basic electronics.  anyway i have found a  delphi one for £28 is that acceptable to oof?  presumably bosch is ok.
« Last Edit: 26 October 2015, 20:18:51 by migmog »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2015, 20:04:55 »

i have found a  delphi one for £34 is that acceptable to oof?  .....

You can buy what you like ......  experience of forum members though suggest that pattern don't last, and Tigger says above, it'll always be when you most want your car to work  ;)

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2015, 20:07:03 »

So Walk into the Main dealer and buy over the counter  :y That is the advice on here..I bought two in one visit...The spare is in my boot :y

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 October 2015, 20:21:30 »

So Walk into the Main dealer and buy over the counter... I bought two in one visit...The spare is in my boot :y

i'm guessing that's approx 1/3 of the market value of my car...

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 October 2015, 23:43:36 »

I dont know what you lot do to crank sensors , ive had six omegas and never had to replace any  ::) Although re-routing is the best thing for them . I suspect that the pattern sensors dont like the extreme heat of the original routing but some pattern dont seem to have the protective heat foil around them that wont help either  ::) If i did have one fail i would fit genuine even though it is a tad of an expense in a one'a  :)
Omegatitis

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 October 2015, 00:23:33 »

yes, this is the first one to go in 270,000 miles of 2 omegas.  mind you, very similar with my alternator reg, which went at 80,000 on this 2.6 omega and never on the 2.5.  i think the 2.5s were more reliable (apart from the egr).

ordered a delphi but will keep it as the new spare and run with the £17 one and report back. my £17 one has the foil protection.  i will route it carefully and install with correct torque.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 October 2015, 07:12:12 »

yes, this is the first one to go in 270,000 miles of 2 omegas.  mind you, very similar with my alternator reg, which went at 80,000 on this 2.6 omega and never on the 2.5.  i think the 2.5s were more reliable (apart from the egr).

ordered a delphi but will keep it as the new spare and run with the £17 one and report back. my £17 one has the foil protection.  i will route it carefully and install with correct TALK

"don't you dare break down"  a stiff talking too  ;D
Hoof'land storeman.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 October 2015, 07:47:19 »

I've had them fail on a 3.0, a 3.2, and several on 2.5s. Also had failures on a 2.0 and twice on 2.2s, much harder to change on the 4 cylinder engines. On a 2.5 estate I tried one off e-bay for £25, worked a treat, but forum pressure persuaded me buy a genuine Vx Siemens sensor so I did and fitted it, only to have it fail within 1000 miles. I replaced the £25 sensor and took the Vx sensor back for replacement. The £25 sensor never failed, when I scrapped the car I kept it.

I wonder how they fail. It seems to be in the sensor, not the cable. Sensor is only a coil, potted with epoxy in a plastic holder, what's to go wrong?

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 October 2015, 10:19:39 »

Bad batch of genuine sensors maybe  :-\
What's the warranty on a genuine sensor ?
Omegatitis

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 October 2015, 10:49:49 »

My theory (theory alone, not belief) is if a pattern sensor routed well away from the exhaust, with a heat shield/foil added would last fine. However, to be scientific this would involve buying a pattern, leave the original in place, and see how it goes. Witht he option of simply re-plugging in the original if any engine issues appear.

Please keep us updated, as one of the worries is that genuine CSs will eventually dry up, as Omega parts are already starting to become unobtainable from Dealers. Once genuines cease to be avaiable the only option will be pattern. That being the case, which pattern will be the question we'll all be asking.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 October 2015, 12:43:16 »

Bad batch of genuine sensors maybe  :-\
What's the warranty on a genuine sensor ?
I think its 100k miles, but might be if fitted by a Vx Dealer.  :-\

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 October 2015, 00:59:02 »

i'm now tempted to install the delphi when it arrives and keep the pattern as spare.

incidentally i scanned for codes and found none, but the pedal trick threw up as expected 0335 'CrankshaftPosition sensor "A" circuit malfunction'

i will put a separate post about that.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 October 2015, 09:08:07 »

i'm now tempted to install the delphi when it arrives and keep the pattern as spare.

incidentally i scanned for codes and found none, but the pedal trick threw up as expected 0335 'CrankshaftPosition sensor "A" circuit malfunction'

i will put a separate post about that.

:y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 October 2015, 09:22:04 »

Makes me wonder there's the truth, and the truth, as it were.. Like, person xyz says 'I fitted genuine rocker gaskets, and they still failed" - but the truth being, he didn't clean the breathers out as well, so they were bound to fail.

Again, fitting a genuine Vx crank sensor, and leaving it in the original factory routing, next to the exhaust will mean it fails in, what?, 100k? Now, route a pattern cs in the same way and it may fail in days, or months.. or years. As has been said, some don't come with the foil shield. Now, route that same cs away from the heat and who knows? maybe it won't last any longer, but logic dictates it will. I'm not disagreeing with the experience of many, many OOFers who have had bad experiences with pattern sensors, but like I say above, it may come the day when all we can fit are pattern.

May I ask the OP to ensure the new pattern sensor has both foil shield, and is well routed away from the extreme heat of the manifold, and then give us a progress report in 6 months/1 year / upon such time as it fails.  :) 
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 October 2015, 10:25:02 »

The thing with these (and cam cover gaskets) is that, regardless of the mitigating factors of which you speak, we have seen a  consistent pattern over the years. Fit pattern, and it fails quickly (or often doesn't work at all) fit genuine and it's reasonably reliable.

My car is on its' 3rd crank sensor in 184K miles. First one failed at about 50K, if memory serves. Second one probably lasted double that, with the cable re-routed away from the heat.

All sensors genuine, from a Vauxhall dealer, because that's the other factor.. Many people think they are buying genuine because the factor from whom they buy it tells them it's genuine.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 October 2015, 10:28:21 »

Fair do's  :)

Now I'm thinking 'my car's on her 2nd cs, after 180,800 miles'... oooh, eck! ticking time bomb! ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 October 2015, 10:30:33 »

Fair do's  :)

Now I'm thinking 'my car's on her 2nd cs, after 180,800 miles'... oooh, eck! ticking time bomb! ;)

;)

Oh, and I dissected one of my failed sensors, and it was the sensor coil itself that had failed.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 October 2015, 10:41:49 »

I've been keeping my eye out for a good low mileage cs for a while, now. I very nearly had one at the scrappy, but couldn't get it out for love nor money. Wish I'd known when they were taking the engine out, before cubing it  >:( I found went back a few days later to find half of it in the mud what must have been literally minutes after they'd took the engine out. Ah well.  :)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 October 2015, 10:51:42 »

Just a quick question...
As DBG says...we could be on pattern parts soon, but.....is this crank sensor unique to the Omega. Meaning, is this part (same number or modified) fitted to any other Vauxhall/Opel. Using this idea, as VX once told me, the rear pads on my Senator, were the front brakes on another later smaller model, can't remember which, offhand. Suggesting that parts would be manufactured longer :y
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 28 October 2015, 11:11:10 »

I heard the rear brake pads on a Lotus Carlton are the same as the front on a (Classic) mini. Off topic, really, I know, but I know what you mean.

http://www.partsbase.org/parts/ope-6238126/

Sadly it's Omega-specific. As we know, some Omega V6 crank sensors don't even work right on other Omega V6s,  :(

HT leads on the other hand, if you ever see any Vectra B V6 ones going cheap, get them. They're not identical, but they do fit.  :y

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 October 2015, 12:48:05 »

Just a quick question...
As DBG says...we could be on pattern parts soon, but.....is this crank sensor unique to the Omega. Meaning, is this part (same number or modified) fitted to any other Vauxhall/Opel. Using this idea, as VX once told me, the rear pads on my Senator, were the front brakes on another later smaller model, can't remember which, offhand. Suggesting that parts would be manufactured longer :y

here are my notes on xrefs for the V6 rounded plug crank sensor.  didn't help me a lot though and i don't guarantee it is 100% correct:

2.6/3.0/3.2V6 Petrol Models          90540743   

ESPART    1651060
BOSCH    0 261 210 131
C.I.    XREV345
EPS    1.953.284
FACET    9.0284
GENERAL MOTORS    1238740
KW    453 284
LUCAS CAV    SEB969
METZGER    0902194
OPEL    1238740
STANDARD    50 12225 01375 3
VEMO    V70-72-0367

Cross Interchange Part No. for: OPEL 90540743
Downloand
Factory    Number    Cross Interchange Type    Relevance
OPEL   1238740   Indirect Cross Interchange   12
VEMO   V40720367   Indirect Cross Interchange   12
HOFFER   7517318   Indirect Cross Interchange   11
AUTOMEGA   3012380740   Indirect Cross Interchange   11
MEAT & DORIA   87318   Indirect Cross Interchange   11
BOSCH   0261210131   Indirect Cross Interchange   11
FACET   90284   Indirect Cross Interchange   11
STANDARD   18932   Indirect Cross Interchange   10
METZGER   0902194   Indirect Cross Interchange   8
MAXGEAR   240057   Indirect Cross Interchange   5
GENERAL MOTORS   90540743   Indirect Cross Interchange   5
SIDAT   83327   Indirect Cross Interchange   5
FISPA   83327   Indirect Cross Interchange   5
SAAB   90494182   Indirect Cross Interchange   4
VEMO   40720367   Indirect Cross Interchange   3
HAVAM   1953284   Indirect Cross Interchange   3
LUCAS ELECTRICAL   SEB969   Indirect Cross Interchange   3
STANDARD   18932   Indirect Cross Interchange   3
DELPHI   SS10809   Indirect Cross Interchange   3
OPEL   90494182   Indirect Cross Interchange   3
OPEL   01238740   Indirect Cross Interchange   2
GENERAL MOTORS   90494182   Indirect Cross Interchange   2
INTERMOTOR   18932   Indirect Cross Interchange   2
STANDARD   EPS054   Indirect Cross Interchange   2
KW   453284   Indirect Cross Interchange   1
EPS   1953284   Indirect Cross Interchange   1
HAVAM   1953284   Indirect Cross Interchange   1
AUTOMEGA   1112380740   Indirect Cross Interchange   1
Forecast   96183   Indirect Cross Interchange   1
MasterPro   296183   Indirect Cross Interchange   1
ORIGINAL ENGINE MANAGEMENT   96183   Indirect Cross Interchange   1

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30 October 2015, 16:57:18 »

the delphi sensor arrived today , certainly looks nice - colour delphi box with hologram seal, dephi printed on the cable and on the sensor, nice little rubber boot to stop rain getting in between the cable and the heat shielding.

just finished installing it it was a pig to get the old one out,  might be easy if the car is on a lift and you can stand up under it but lying on your back it was difficult to get at it even with some molegrips.  in the end a spanner, open end under the cable joint as a lever and a screwdriver blade as a wedge shifted it.  it was also quite difficult to get the new one fully in whilst avoiding the temptation to hit it with a hammer. 

i humbly withdraw my suggestion that it will be easy to replace now the connector is accessible.

old one was bosch i assume this is oe.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 31 October 2015, 00:33:27 »

Last one I changed at the side of the road... Raised the car a little on the suspension with the scissor jack for enough room to get my arm up and did the deed :y About 10 mins start to finish IIRC.  :y

That reminds me... I must cut the old sensor and plug off :-X ::)

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 31 October 2015, 19:46:59 »

wot no wiper removal?

with hindsight i would have wire brushed and chemically removed the rust ring round the outside of the sensor hole,  i think that was what was making it difficult to remove/install

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 01 November 2015, 00:16:09 »

wot no wiper removal?

with hindsight i would have wire brushed and chemically removed the rust ring round the outside of the sensor hole,  i think that was what was making it difficult to remove/install

Nope... If you know where the plug is and are able to squeeze your hands in (and suffer the pain) it can be done ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.