Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine Temp  (Read 3852 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Engine Temp
« Reply #15 on: 23 June 2007, 13:55:49 »

Further to my high(er) engine temp. Over the last few days I'd noticed that when 'pressing on' the temp was around the 98/99 mark, which is obviously a bit on the high side. I used a Holts 2 stage flush yesterday. After I'd used the 1st bottle I put a little caustic into the header tank just before I drained & flushed it out ready for the 2nd bottle. The sh1te that moved through into my nice new white header tank  :'(  was unbelievable! If it wasn't such an 4r$e to remove the main rad I think it'd be a good idea to  flush it on its own.
I think that the Halford's flush I'd used on the car before I changed the coolant from blue to red/pink must've been good enough to just loosen some of the crap in the block and it's since moved and senttled in the radiator.  :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 June 2007, 14:02:28 »

Sorry Andy B I had missed this thread completely, as I was away.

A real good flush sounds like what it needs, sounds like you have that in hand. I found the Forte to be the most effective if that helps.

One bit of the rad you can touch (ie not through the fans!!!) feel if you have cold spots...
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 June 2007, 14:22:15 »

One bit of the rad you can touch (ie not through the fans!!!) feel if you have cold spots...

I gave the rad a coat of looking at with an infra red thermometer, it's a bit difficult to get a decent reading due to the small amount of rad you can see, and I think the draught of the fans effected the readings a little, but there did appear to be some cooler spots. :(  I think I'm putting off the inevitable, I think I'll be removing and cleaning (or even renewing :'() the rad at some stage, sooner rather than later. The acid test will after I've been to Devon & back with a big white rolling road block!  ;D

All those that be in Devon/Cornwall raise your right hand, and stand by with cans of hot water in case I boil over. ;D  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 June 2007, 14:25:36 »

I gave the rad a coat of looking at with an infra red thermometer, it's a bit difficult to get a decent reading due to the small amount of rad you can see, and I think the draught of the fans effected the readings a little, but there did appear to be some cooler spots. :(  I think I'm putting off the inevitable, I think I'll be removing and cleaning (or even renewing :'() the rad at some stage, sooner rather than later. The acid test will after I've been to Devon & back with a big white rolling road block!  ;D

All those that be in Devon/Cornwall raise your right hand, and stand by with cans of hot water in case I boil over. ;D  ;D
The rad comes out really easily, so easy to change.  You may lose a little atf if its an auto.

May be worth using compressed air to blast through rad and condensor to help, but I suspect the rad needs changing. Petrol rads are not too bad pricewise, unlike the disel ones :(
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 June 2007, 00:34:36 »

The rad comes out really easily, so easy to change.  You may lose a little atf if its an auto.

May be worth using compressed air to blast through rad and condensor to help, but I suspect the rad needs changing. Petrol rads are not too bad pricewise, unlike the disel ones :(

I assume you mean to use the compressed air on the water side of the rad.  :-/ I'll see what i can do tomorrow - weather permitting.

I really must use the auto gearbox filter & gaskets I bought months ago!   :-[  :-[ ::)

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 June 2007, 00:38:28 »

I really must use the auto gearbox filter & gaskets I bought months ago!   :-[  :-[ ::)
You can use em on mine if you like.  ;D
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 June 2007, 02:05:34 »

You can use em on mine if you like.  ;D

I need to find 'em first. They are in a safe place ..... somewere!!  ;D  ;D

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 June 2007, 07:47:51 »

An avid towwer too....   Last year, prior to my towing, I decided to flush and replace my coolant in my 3.0l auto..  all seemed fine, other than running a few degrees more than the norm...  travelling S on the M6 after about 20 miles, had a funny smell pass into the cabin...  (Wasn't me!) Pulled over and had a poke around, pi55ing down, 2am, V dark....   spotted some DEXIII on the gearbox sump..  overflow had spat some out..  carried on, smoothe gearchanges no problems.  On the way back from Cornwall, 16 deg C ambient..  coming up over the A30 Bodmin and on several other steep banks thereafter, temp went to "FLASHING RED LIGHT STATUS!"  Common sense took over, drop a gear to get the revs pumping coolant faster and DON'T STOP, keep the air rushing thru..  cooled down and no probs..  It's always towed OK before..  

Temp been high since, 98 degC normal, NEVER LOWER..  decided to change the gear box DEXIII, cleaned the filter as suggested on here, SMOOOOOOOOTHER changes already  :)  Decided to swap the rad for a new GM 400, £100 inc vat (Nissens / Denmark) Applied Radiators S-o-T...  All running at 93 deg C solo.. Waiting to tow next week...  I'm really confident that all will be well again...  

Even though the old rad is flowing well and clean, I'm pretty sure that it has a partial blockage at the bottom, causing restricted cooling..   :y

DC
Do it right, do it once................

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 June 2007, 09:27:24 »

I assume you mean to use the compressed air on the water side of the rad.  :-/ I'll see what i can do tomorrow - weather permitting.

No, I meant through the vanes/matrix to clear out the flies and other debris that will reduce airflow through it...
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 June 2007, 13:05:07 »

No, I meant through the vanes/matrix to clear out the flies and other debris that will reduce airflow through it...
Ah! I was being a bit dim!  :-[
Just had a look and about the only restriction on the air flow side is that some of the fins are a bit damaged on th engine bay side.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 24 June 2007, 16:12:41 »

bits of dead fly etc get in there, no blocking it, but reducing efficency, hence blast it through...
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 June 2007, 16:19:26 »

I've just used a little more caustic and got a bit more crap out of the system, and in the process of flushing it out ready for the gallon of anti-freeze that I ordered yesterday. I'd considered removing the rad completely but the weather has been a bit hit & miss. Why can't a main dealer actually have them on the shelf?  :-? I'll just suck it and see when I have my 'van on the back next week.
« Last Edit: 24 June 2007, 16:22:06 by Andy_B »

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24 June 2007, 19:07:00 »

I've just used a little more caustic and got a bit more crap out of the system, and in the process of flushing it out ready for the gallon of anti-freeze that I ordered yesterday. I'd considered removing the rad completely but the weather has been a bit hit & miss. Why can't a main dealer actually have them on the shelf?  :-? I'll just suck it and see when I have my 'van on the back next week.
[/highlight]
Best of British, going anywhere nice?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 June 2007, 01:50:20 »

Cornwall. Most places on this island of ours are beautiful providing you get nice weather, unfortunately at the moment we all just seem to be getting lots & lots of weather! :(

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 June 2007, 17:11:57 »

Cornwall. Most places on this island of ours are beautiful providing you get nice weather, unfortunately at the moment we all just seem to be getting lots & lots of weather! :(

Me too!  Holywell Bay... just for the week this year, usually two, my mates getting married next weekend..  God speed, will be there Sunday..

DC
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.