Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Big vote tomorrow.  (Read 22209 times)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: Big vote tomorrow.
« Reply #135 on: 21 January 2019, 13:24:00 »

It's possible a 'no deal brexit' could be taken off the table at some point. Which, in effect, means there can not be a brexit worth it's name.

I don't see how MP's can stop No Deal.  :-\

Yes they can have a vote to register their displeasure and maybe this amendment to change the way Parliament works that Dominic Grievance is bringing forward may make it possible for Parliament to change the legislation that we leave on the 29th March

However, under the terms of Article 50, EU Treaties will cease to apply once the 2 year period is up, ie 29th March.  This is EU law which is superior to UK law.  ::)

So the only way to avoid No Deal as I see it is to either revoke A50 entirely or to persuade the 27 other EU countries to allow us to extend the A50 period and the difficulty with that is the EU Parliament elections in May.  :)

If you read the act, you'll see that it refers almost exclusively to "Exit Day" rather than any specific date. 29th March is mentioned in Section 20, subsection 2, which is the part of the act that deals with interpretaions of the various phrases. However, Section 20, subsection 3 & 4 give a Minister of State the power to vary the date of "Exit Day".

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/16/section/20/enacted#section-20-2

So from the UK side, there is no issue with the government changing the date of "Exit Day" since the legislation already allows for it. AIUI parliament can order the government to do that.

Whether the EU27 agree to extending the Art50 deadline is up to them. Personally I think they will if a second referendum, or some exit deal looks likely. I don't think they will if it looks lie the UK is playing for time and/or just wanting to re-open the May agreement. 

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 21 January 2019, 13:26:13 »

So the only way to avoid No Deal as I see it is to either revoke A50 entirely

Which is exactly what will happen on March 28th, 23:59:59.

Why the rush? Brexit day starts at 23:00:00 on March 29th.  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 21 January 2019, 13:41:58 »

It's possible a 'no deal brexit' could be taken off the table at some point. Which, in effect, means there can not be a brexit worth it's name.

Yes they can have a vote to register their displeasure and maybe this amendment to change the way Parliament works that Dominic Grievance is bringing forward may make it possible for Parliament to change the legislation that we leave on the 29th March

However, under the terms of Article 50, EU Treaties will cease to apply once the 2 year period is up, ie 29th March.  This is EU law which is superior to UK law.  ::)

So the only way to avoid No Deal as I see it is to either revoke A50 entirely or to persuade the 27 other EU countries to allow us to extend the A50 period and the difficulty with that is the EU Parliament elections in May.  :)

If you read the act, you'll see that it refers almost exclusively to "Exit Day" rather than any specific date. 29th March is mentioned in Section 20, subsection 2, which is the part of the act that deals with interpretaions of the various phrases. However, Section 20, subsection 3 & 4 give a Minister of State the power to vary the date of "Exit Day".

So from the UK side, there is no issue with the government changing the date of "Exit Day" since the legislation already allows for it. AIUI parliament can order the government to do that.

Whether the EU27 agree to extending the Art50 deadline is up to them. Personally I think they will if a second referendum, or some exit deal looks likely. I don't think they will if it looks lie the UK is playing for time and/or just wanting to re-open the May agreement.

It matters not, as the date and time of 23.00 on the 29th March 2019 was enshrined in EU law when we handed in the A50 letter, according to the provisions of Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty.  :y

EU law is superior in this case so Parliament does not have sovereignty and cannot do as it likes as you always claim.  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 21 January 2019, 14:07:09 »

Apart from revoking A50 thanks to those helpful folks at the ECJ.  ::)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 21 January 2019, 14:20:29 »

It matters not, as the date and time of 23.00 on the 29th March 2019 was enshrined in EU law when we handed in the A50 letter, according to the provisions of Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty.  :y

EU law is superior in this case so Parliament does not have sovereignty and cannot do as it likes as you always claim.  ::)

Sigh, No.

What the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 does is determine the way that the European Communities Act 1972 is repealed (It says that in section 1 of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018) .

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/16/section/1/enacted

The European Communities Act 1972 only applies within the UK (and other dependent territories). The UK parliament is and always was free to set any date it wishes for the repeal to take effect. However, treaty obligations meant we had agreed to give 2 years notice, which have now (almost) elapsed.

Parliament can and always could decide on what day EU law ceases to apply within the UK. It could even allow European Law to apply after 29th March - that's the way any Brexit extension will work if it happens. However, without the agreement of the EU27 we loose any say on what those laws are after 29th March.

Extending full participation past 29th March requires the treaty to remain intact. Which means a Minister of state extending "Brexit Day" via Section 20 subsection 4, and the EU27 allowing the extension via Art50(3). Or us unilaterally withdrawing Art50.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 21 January 2019, 17:06:05 »

Sigh...  Without the agreement of the EU27 to extend the A50 period or other arrangements are put in place again with the agreement of the EU27, the treaties cease to apply to the UK and we are no longer a member of the European Union after 2300 29th March 2019.  ::)

Unless they revoke A50, Parliament can huff, puff, amend the various acts as much as it likes but without the cooperation of the EU27 are pretty much bystanders as the clock ticks.  :-X

Tick tock!  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 21 January 2019, 17:29:43 »

Meanwhile, the IRA have resurfaced and started blowing things up again.
That, sadly, was also predictable.  Lets hope that comes to nothing :(
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 21 January 2019, 17:45:57 »

And just as predictably, was used in the commons today to apply pressure on May to think carefully about what she is doing.
Its sick.
Also, a Labour MP in the commons today called the hard line brexiteers in the Tory party Fascists. To my knowledge, squeaker Bercow didn't so much as raise an eyebrow. Disgusting.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 21 January 2019, 17:53:59 »

And just as predictably, was used in the commons today to apply pressure on May to think carefully about what she is doing.
Its sick.
Agreed, but they know its a way to make enough headlines to potentially influence things.  Maybe the vote should have been to leave, but make NI part of Ireland. That also solves the backstop ;)

Also, a Labour MP in the commons today called the hard line brexiteers in the Tory party Fascists. To my knowledge, squeaker Bercow didn't so much as raise an eyebrow. Disgusting.
Bercow's recent actions do seem to be bias towards the leave side. Maybe he was evening things up ;)
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 21 January 2019, 18:04:03 »

The odius twerp is long overdue a slapping off his perch regardless of political leanings...  :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 21 January 2019, 18:09:52 »

The odius twerp is long overdue a slapping off his perch regardless of political leanings...  :-X

Yes, he has completely lost his neutrality and credibility as a result :(

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 21 January 2019, 18:26:38 »

Its sick.
Agreed, but they know its a way to make enough headlines to potentially influence things.  Maybe the vote should have been to leave, but make NI part of Ireland. That also solves the backstop ;)

Unification of the island of Ireland requires separate referenda in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.  I doubt that the people of the Republic would vote for it, let alone those in NI.  ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 21 January 2019, 18:27:58 »

Its sick.
Agreed, but they know its a way to make enough headlines to potentially influence things.  Maybe the vote should have been to leave, bu 1.t make NI part of Ireland. That also solves the backstop ;)

Bercow's 2. recent actions do seem to be bias towards the leave side. Maybe he was evening things up ;)

1. Trust me the consequences of that really do not bear thinking about.  :o
2. Can I have some of what your smoking / snorting ?   ::) ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 21 January 2019, 18:30:50 »

Its sick.

Unification of the island of Ireland requires separate referenda in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.  I doubt that the people of the Republic would vote for it, let alone those in NI.  ;)

My God, could that be on the table?! :o :o :o

'The Troubles' I think put that idea to rest after 1998..  We just cannot go through all that again; Brexit is bad enough! ::) ::) :D :D ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 21 January 2019, 18:33:52 »

2. Can I have some of what your smoking / snorting ?   ::) ;D
I was hoping to borrow some of yours ;D.  It can't all be down to Farage's brainwashing.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.