Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Another NCDC 2013 Satnav problem  (Read 9524 times)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Another NCDC 2013 Satnav problem
« on: 05 May 2010, 14:15:49 »

Hi Guys,
First post so be gentle. I've recently upgraded from a pre to a post facelift OB. The new one had working satnav on the NCDC2013 untill a few weeks ago when I was instructed to do a U turn on the M3 [smiley=shocked.gif] And ever since, the car has thought it was in Cirencester, when it's actually in Somerset. Also, when the clocks went forward/back/whatever, the time didn't change to BS like the manual said it should. TP/RDS still works.

I think there might be a problem with either the aerial or the wiring, but don't know nuffink about the OB systems.

Picture of the Display :

I don't remember the "GPS" logo in the top right hand corner being highlighted when the system was working. Is this right, or does it indicate a fault?

Picture of the aerial - I think?

Does this unit contain the GPS aerial? If so, how easy to remove & inspect the connectors? On a Carlton its a right pig of a job - basically headlining out.

Picture of the ACDC :

Can I just pull this out once I've found the right combination of hammers to belt it with? I don't have a radio 'code' but I'm not sure the 2013 needs one?

Anyhow, thanks for any help. Solve this one for me and there are about 20 others that need answering - mobile phone, Traffic master etc...

Cheers,
Malcolm

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Another NCDC 2013 Satnav problem
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2010, 17:03:36 »

Well the highlighted GPS means that it doesn't have a GPS signal.

I think i'd start by checking the multi aerial connector in the kick panel.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2010, 21:29:56 »

Aye, no gps signal.

If you are near me, I'll happily have a look.....
Grumpy old man

Bose Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2010, 12:09:09 »

No my code card suggests that the 2013 does not have a code.   :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2010, 21:30:50 »

NCDC, NCDR and associated screens and telematics are paired with the immobiliser code.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2010, 18:24:42 »

Ok - Pulled the passengers side kick panel apart, coz that's where the radio wiring is on a Carlton. Nothing. Then thought (in a Steven Fry voice) Shurely not.

So pulled the drivers side kick panel apart. Ah Ha :-/

Wiggled the coax wires about a bit, but no sign of waking the GPS up. VHF and MW radio work. All the connections seem pretty secure. However, there are three wires running along the sill, but only two of them are connected to run up behind the pedals. I presume the other is for something else not fitted to this Miggie?

I've also bought a double DIN radio removal wire loopy things from Halfrauds, Undid the 4 grub screws, and pushed the wires in. But no matter how much wiggling I do, I can't get the radio to come out. Is there something else holding it in? Or is the Halfrauds removal tool useless?

Any further help gratefully recieved.

Ta
Malcolm

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2010, 18:32:43 »

Aye, no gps signal.

If you are near me, I'll happily have a look.....

Not very near - Yeovil Somerset. About 100 miles, and without a satnav i'd never find you. And with a satnav, i wouldn;t need to find you  ;D

Thanks for the offer. If work brings me close before I get it fixed or end up destroying it, maybee.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2010, 20:14:37 »

Spare connector is for phone as the whip on the GPS base is a GSM (phone) antenna, albeit only a unity gain one.

The head units are a nightmare to remove in most cases and it's very easy to break the front bezel off. If it's possible i'd pay a visit to Dave DND.

Before that though, it would be worth dropping the rear centre brake light and checking the aerial connector that is a few inches from the base of the aerial.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2010, 19:15:15 »

Spare connector is for phone as the whip on the GPS base is a GSM (phone) antenna, albeit only a unity gain one.

The head units are a nightmare to remove in most cases and it's very easy to break the front bezel off. [size=14]If it's possible i'd pay a visit to Dave DND[/size].

Before that though, it would be worth dropping the rear centre brake light and checking the aerial connector that is a few inches from the base of the aerial.

I'm new round here. Could you give me a clue as to who/where Dave DND is please?

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2010, 10:13:04 »

Ok. Bought a new/used aerial block off eBay. Unscrewed the coax connector in the footwell, and plugged in the new aerial there. Left it dangling out of the car to see if it would get a signal. Nope. So I re-connected the wiring back to standard.

Next I bit the bullet and pulled off the cover over the high level brake light. Then located the wiring up to the aerial base - what a faff. Pulled it through so I could see the connectors. Both seem secure, but they are both covered in that foam tape stuff. Wiggled things about a bit, but still no GPS signal. Resigned myself to probably have to buy a new NCDC2013 coz either the GPS elecronics are broken, or the front panel would be by the time I'd extracted the unit from the dash to inspect the wiring.

So started to put the brake light cover back. Located both ends in the guides, and a firm thump with the palm of my hand to clip the spring clamps back in. With the last firm thump, Helga chirped up saying "Destination Reached".

For the moment, it's back working again. Not sure what was wrong, or how long it'll stay working. If it packs up again in the near future I'll just thump the rooflining back by the brake light and see if good old percussive maintanace will fix it again.  ;D

Cheers Guys
Malcolm

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2010, 11:29:38 »

Good news  :y

I've heard of the odd aerial failing with the hard frosts but generally its the amp side for the radio on the estates and various other Vauxhalls that suffers.

Is the clamp nut tight and making a good contact to the roof?

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2010, 11:53:01 »

I'm new round here. Could you give me a clue as to who/where Dave DND is please?

I`m here !!   :y

In Paignton for anyone who is passing through, and if you don`t have a sat nav, drive south/west on the M5 - keep going in a dead straight line for 30 miles and stop when you hit the sea. Look around, and I`m probably the one trying to catch a fish

;)

Not uncommon for those aerials to fail due to water ingress and the seals leaking causing the electronics inside to corrode and fail.

Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2010, 11:54:44 »

Dave

Have you ever managed to locate replacement seals for them? VX only want to supply the complete base.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.