Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Front Drop Links  (Read 6621 times)

jefflem

• Netherlands
    • Omega Z22XE Elegance '01
    • View Profile
Re: Front Drop Links
« Reply #30 on: 18 July 2019, 21:41:59 »

On Monday I replaced the drop links for SKF ones together with everything around it (wishbones, shock absorbers, steel brake hoses). Although the box states that it contains “SKF approved supplier” content so let’s see how long they will last. The original ones did their job up to 230.000 kms / 17 years.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18 July 2019, 21:43:54 »

Phew, thanks DG - I must be ok then! :y

Ron.

Your car or you Ron?  ::) ::) ;D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18 July 2019, 21:53:32 »

Definitely the car, Andy - I'VE never been ok! :P

Ron.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18 July 2019, 21:59:52 »

Definitely the car, Andy - I'VE never been ok! :P

Ron.

;D ;D :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 18 July 2019, 22:47:31 »

Meyle HD drop links went on my 3.2 must have been 7/8 years ago now, all good still  :y
How many miles?
Can vouch for Meyle HD, longest set I have had fitted are over 100k / 3 years, other two have done far less miles on them... To put in perspective, last set of GM's I had lasted less than 10k...

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 19 July 2019, 11:17:43 »

Use a slim spanner to stop the ball joint rotating whilst you tighten the nuts. A standard open end pushes the rubber sleeve off it's boss/shoulder. Because of the grease inside it's nearly impossible to push the rubber back onto the shoulder and have it stay put. Road grit and water gets in and wears the joints. The original GM rubbers are less likely to push off and so last longer. Made by Sachs/Boge I would guess.

Absolutely . Yes this is the reason most ball joints fail. Very few actually ‘wear out ‘ naturally with useage 99% of them fail early due to water / dirt ingress.ive had my carlton since 1990 and only replaced the original drop links with qh items mid 90’s and they’re still fine to this day.

Quinton Hazell were very good quality aftermarket components in their day - very often genuine manufacturer items reboxed in QH packaging.
I doubt however that they are the same quality today though unfortunately....
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

aaronjb

« Reply #36 on: 19 July 2019, 11:36:58 »

Quinton Hazell were very good quality aftermarket components in their day - very often genuine manufacturer items reboxed in QH packaging.
I doubt however that they are the same quality today though unfortunately....

They went into liquidation in 2013 and were subsequently bought by Tetrosyl (who make chemicals): https://www.tetrosyl.com/brands/qh/
Mind, it changed hands a lot over the years:
In 1973 it was sold to Burmah Oils and then again in 1986 to the America firm, Echlin. It was owned by Dana Corporation from 1998 and Affinia from 2004 before being acquired by Klarius just over two years ago, in 2010.

Anyone's guess as to the quality of components now - although Tetrosyl say they kept the same suppliers, I'll bet everything pops out of one factory in China..

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 19 July 2019, 11:54:50 »

Yes quite possibly.
This is why I’ve got an attic of spares for my cars that I’ve bought ,new old stock,as and when they pop up on ebay over the years.rather than current new spares.!
Can’t beat older or original quality stuff over new pattern for majority of bits

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 19 July 2019, 11:58:25 »

It’s a bit like wishbones. SOME of the replacement VECO items were very good quality and had a realy good full rubber rear bush that no one else seemed to offer. They occasionally pop up as new old stock on ebay so I get them when I see them.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 19 July 2019, 16:26:28 »

Yes quite possibly.
This is why I’ve got an attic of spares for my cars that I’ve bought ,new old stock,as and when they pop up on ebay over the years.rather than current new spares.!
Can’t beat older or original quality stuff over new pattern for majority of bits

that isn't necessarily true for components that have rubber parts. My experiences over the last thirty years mean I would always buy current, recently manufactured parts over NOS. And Omega parts are still common enough that I don't see any need to stockpile them

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 19 July 2019, 21:18:38 »

dont worry thats just me .im a hourder !
although to be honest im glad ive hoarded some cav and viva parts because some bits are now impossible to find .

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 19 July 2019, 21:25:23 »

plus ,as ive every intension of keeping my cars for the rest of my life il have start collecting omega parts soon whilst they are common items !
some bits will no doubt be harder to find in 20 years time like cambelt kits ,brake pad pins,sensors,etc to name but a few!

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 19 July 2019, 21:51:35 »

plus ,as ive every intension of keeping my cars for the rest of my life il have start collecting omega parts soon whilst they are common items !
some bits will no doubt be harder to find in 20 years time like cambelt kits ,brake pad pins,sensors,etc to name but a few!

I strongly suspect that are already more of those parts than there are cars that need them. Regular service parts for mass-market cars are rarely a problem even for old cars. It's the parts that rarely need changing that will cause problems for the 10 Omegas that are 40 years old.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 20 July 2019, 00:27:55 »

Yes quite possibly.

This is precisely what I have done since the mid eighties with Triumph parts. Then I ran a 2000 as my every day car and liked it so much that I couldnt envisage myself selling it. I now have six of them including that one, and my large collection of original genuine parts that I bought for little money then are now hard to find and in some cases worth a small fortune. I have recently totally recommissioned two Triumphs that had been off the road for over 25 years and I needed to buy very few parts to do it. I often get contacted to see if I have parts by other Club members and if I have surplus, then I will sell them.; if not, I keep what I have for my own use.
I have also owned Omegas since 2004, and class them similarly to my Triumphs. I have 3 very good examples and can't see any need to sell them. I have accumulated many genuine and original VX service items and parts, some of which are now no longer available.
If correctly stored, then I have a good supply of original parts for my own use - if I never use them, then ultimately there will always be someone who wants genuine original parts, especially the unobtainable or NLS parts.
There are financial and storage factors that come into it, plus the intended period of ownership, but if this is doable, then I don't see any arguement for not doing so.
There is too much negativity in my opinion about how long Omegas will remain a viable car to own and run. If someone enjoys their car and maintains it well, doing as much preventative work as possible to keep corrosion at bay, then they may last a lot longer than some owners are giving them credit for.
If I had had the same negative outlook about my Triumphs in the 80's when there were lines of them in scrap yards and they were corroding away around you, then I wouldn't have had six good examples today.....

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 20 July 2019, 00:56:49 »

Yes quite possibly.

that isn't necessarily true for components that have rubber parts. My experiences over the last thirty years mean I would always buy current, recently manufactured parts over NOS. And Omega parts are still common enough that I don't see any need to stockpile them

My experience of using nos parts compared with newly manufactured aftermarket is that the nos win every time. The nos fit perfectly, and way outlast new. Rubber bushes, gaitors and mountings are a good example. All modern manufactured rubber parts for classic cars  in my experience of owning Triumphs for nearly 40 years,  are rubbish  - the rubber perishes quickly, bonded items don't last, and the rubber is invariably the wrong composition. For example, Triumph (or Stanpart) rubber items manufactured by Metalastik or Avon were excellent quality; modern manufactured replacements are not worth even considering fitting. Buy quality nos when you come across them, and possibly pay a little more, but then fit and forget unless you dont mind replacing the part again in the near future.
This also goes for many parts on Omegas now in my experience. There are very few aftermarket components I would consider fitting.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.