Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I've got a bike.....  (Read 4840 times)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Re: I've got a bike.....
« Reply #15 on: 02 October 2017, 10:54:39 »

Ah that's a bit far for me, but if you are ever in the London or Hampshire area just shout. As for lights get yourself to Aldi, they have some good lights on specialbuy right now. They have a good primary and secondary set which is reasonable. I also recommend the Halfords front and read usb rechargeable set. Good value although the front mount needs a bit of work to get the light to stop popping out when you go over a pothole.i use two of the extra rubber loops either side of the clamp.

I would also recommend a bikeability course. They are often free or very low cost and give you the skills to ride safe. In fairness they would be a much better tutor than me.

As for your knees, cycling would be a great tonic. I have been plagued with issues in the oast and if i stop cycling it comes back.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 October 2017, 13:14:12 »

All noted, and thank you. I will get signed up to that tuition if there's a course near me, and will certainly give Aldi a look.
Cycling helps with arthritic knees? I was frightened that it might wear them down more.

Ron.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 October 2017, 13:37:10 »

Same here. I used to be very fit but not now. I have considered cycling as a way of improving this.
However, my right knee joint is badly worn and in need of replacement, but doctor he say he would like to postpone this for as long as possible.
I thought the constant use of it when cycling might make matters worse, although not as much as running / jogging, which I'm physically incapable of anyway.  :-\
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 October 2017, 14:09:12 »

It builds up muscle through low impact activity while moving the joints.

Mind you, it's low impact up until the moment you get knocked off  ::)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 October 2017, 14:36:25 »

I've had a slightly arthritic right knee for over 20 years and my doctor recommended that I build the muscles up around my knee as they would relieve the pressure on it and put off any knee replacement as they don't last long and I was considered too young at the time. It has made a big difference so it is still very livable with. Cold, damp weather is the worst. Cycling or swimming are the best exercises for this with running and jogging not recommended because of the impacts on the knee joint with each leg landing.

MIL as a farm labourer on a Soviet Kolhost doing heavy manual work means that both her hips and knee joints are very worn so she struggles to walk these days. The Kolhost bosses stole the wages meant for the workforce so they were unpaid slaves but they had no choice as it was a serious criminal offense not to have a job which meant you ended up in a Gulag. As they weren't paid they did as little as they could get away with and like their bosses stole everything they could. Hence the Soviet saying: We pretend to pay you and you pretend to work.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 October 2017, 14:45:17 »

Thanks gents, your comments are much appreciated.
Rods2, I definitely intend to start gently and NO hills; I have a heart condition as well as arthritic joints (especially knees), so I want to ease into things slowly.
Leather shorts – that’s a bit Sloane Square, isn’t it? Initially I don’t plan to go far enough to take the shine off my trousers!
I’ve still got some of that magic fluid, OKO, which I’ll fill the inners with and I should remain puncture-proof forever…..
The emergency kit in a bag is a good idea – just like Omega spares in the boot, but I’ll pass on the jersey, thanks – I don’t want to look like a “cyclist”.
Ah, indoor exercise; I don’t see the fun in that and prefer to go outdoors – it also gives me an excuse not to cycle if it’s raining!
You are right about the pulse rate, though: I’m hypertensive and need to be careful.

Guffer, what a generous offer, thank you. I’m not in London, however, but in the wilds of Essex, near Colchester – Witham, in fact. I’ll fly solo to start with, thanks, as I don’t intend to go far an d probably after dark so asnot to humiliate myself in broad daylight!

A propos of that, the bike is second hand, without lights, so do you have any recommendations for good lighting – presumably LEDs?

Ron.

I suspected you had a heart condition, hence my advice on not overdoing it and a pulse meter will help with this. The reason for having a turbo trainer especially during the winter is so you do the regular exercise as you won't feel like going out in strong winds, cold temperatures, rain, ice and snow and it is very important that you heed your doctors advice where they have found regular cycling or swimming is the most effective way for seniors with heart issues to add years to their lives. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 October 2017, 15:16:29 »

What a great forum this is; it's like having a favourite Uncle to turn to whenever there's a problem!
I thank you so much for all your support and advice, gents.  :-* :-* :-*

Ron.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 October 2017, 15:56:39 »

Thanks gents, your comments are much appreciated.
Rods2, I definitely intend to start gently and NO hills; I have a heart condition as well as arthritic joints (especially knees), so I want to ease into things slowly.
Leather shorts – that’s a bit Sloane Square, isn’t it? Initially I don’t plan to go far enough to take the shine off my trousers!
I’ve still got some of that magic fluid, OKO, which I’ll fill the inners with and I should remain puncture-proof forever…..
The emergency kit in a bag is a good idea – just like Omega spares in the boot, but I’ll pass on the jersey, thanks – I don’t want to look like a “cyclist”.
Ah, indoor exercise; I don’t see the fun in that and prefer to go outdoors – it also gives me an excuse not to cycle if it’s raining!
You are right about the pulse rate, though: I’m hypertensive and need to be careful.

Guffer, what a generous offer, thank you. I’m not in London, however, but in the wilds of Essex, near Colchester – Witham, in fact. I’ll fly solo to start with, thanks, as I don’t intend to go far an d probably after dark so asnot to humiliate myself in broad daylight!

A propos of that, the bike is second hand, without lights, so do you have any recommendations for good lighting – presumably LEDs?

Ron.

I suspected you had a heart condition, hence my advice on not overdoing it and a pulse meter will help with this. The reason for having a turbo trainer especially during the winter is so you do the regular exercise as you won't feel like going out in strong winds, cold temperatures, rain, ice and snow and it is very important that you heed your doctors advice where they have found regular cycling or swimming is the most effective way for seniors with heart issues to add years to their lives. :y :y :y

Or take a man-up pill, jump on the bike and get sweaty  ;D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 October 2017, 16:18:48 »

For a short life.....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 October 2017, 18:18:58 »

Wear something bright - I need to go down that way in 2 or 3 weeks, give me something to aim for :y
Grumpy old man

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 October 2017, 18:42:08 »

I'll have a red flashing light on my @rse - will that be a good enough target?

Ron.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 October 2017, 18:47:53 »

Ron, will you be getting bicycle insurance?  ???  :)

And maybe as you can't pay road tax on your new machine, you should pay an appropriate amount to your local air ambulance charity instead, so when they come and scrape you up..... :-X  :P  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02 October 2017, 19:04:28 »

Yes, I will be taking out personal liability insurance and making an additional voluntary cotribution with my Road Fund Licence too. They should cover the costs you referred to.
Also, I will be happy to enjoy immunity from road traffic laws, traffic lights and greed camera fines. :y

Ron.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 October 2017, 19:08:45 »

Bikmo is pretty good for bike insurance but it might be a bit overboard for your needs.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 October 2017, 19:10:41 »

I'll have a red flashing light on my @rse - will that be a good enough target?

Ron.

Having spent too much time with The Looney One, he doesn't need that much incentive to lock-on to your arse  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.