Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

Changing head gasket - locking tools?

(1/19) > >>

woolley11:
If I’m changing head gasket and cam belt/tensioner set, water pump etc, do I need to get the locking tools; the red & green sprocket locks and the water pump lock?

See these on eBay for £40 but do I need them ?

Thanks

Andy B:

--- Quote from: woolley11 on 02 June 2020, 19:59:47 ---If I’m changing head gasket and cam belt/tensioner set, water pump etc, do I need to get the locking tools; the red & green sprocket locks and the water pump lock?

Thanks

--- End quote ---

In a word ..... Yes!
  :y :y

You're timing 2 pairs of cams with each other & the crank and it's possible to vary each bit. Without the locking kit, it's just a best guess.

Nick W:

--- Quote from: Andy B on 02 June 2020, 20:03:20 ---
--- Quote from: woolley11 on 02 June 2020, 19:59:47 ---If I’m changing head gasket and cam belt/tensioner set, water pump etc, do I need to get the locking tools; the red & green sprocket locks and the water pump lock?

Thanks

--- End quote ---

In a word ..... Yes!
  :y :y

You're timing 2 pairs of cams with each other & the crank and it's possible to vary each bit. Without the locking kit, it's just a best guess.

--- End quote ---

and you would need about 7 hands just to assemble everything.

It's very simple, you need the entire locking set. You mentioned the three locks but not the gauge, which is the most important bit :y

If you're going to source a set, get one which includes the cranked 30mm spanner. You can do without(or improvise like I have), but it isn't worth the hassle. The spanner is bloody expensive if bought separately.

woolley11:
One full kit purchased including gauge and spanner  :y

Enceladus:
Head gasket or gaskets?

Why are you changing the gasket(s)? It's rare for them to fail on the V6.
In most cases where head gasket failure is mooted by the owner (or more usually a garage), it turns out to be something else entirely. EG the oil cooler.

Also if the heads are warped there is minimal scope for skimming, strictly speaking, per Opel/Vauxhall, none at all. So the old maxim "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version