Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
 on: Today at 11:49:14 
Started by Field Marshal Dr. Opti - Last post by STEMO
It was a company called Jurassic Fibre (no me neither) that installed ours, and I've only seen one house on our road get connected so far.

I don't think that they could have put the connection point in the pavement by my house in a worse place if they tried.  Same with the neighbours as well.  ::)
Ours is on the wall at the end of the small front gardens so, if you get connected, they have to bury the cable under the garden. Don't think I'd trust them to take up my block paving and put it back the same.

Don't they just blow the fibre through the copper ducts that already go to the house.  That's what they did here in MK.  900Mb sync for £32pm.
There are no copper ducts to my house.

on: Today at 11:46:34 
Started by biggriffin - Last post by STEMO
You never get stuck behind me
No, because you only have 150 horses ;D
150 horses is enough to lose your license fairly quickly if you try hard enough.

on: Today at 11:39:07 
Started by polilara - Last post by TheBoy
Ok, what I believed is that the O-ring is around the brass spacer in a groove. When this spacer contacts the camshaft bit you can feel it. Turning more just destroys the thread. Have to study this more when back in my carage. Have there my old original covers. Now sitting in my Mobile Home, having nice Easter Time.
The o ring still sits proud.  8Nm is supposed to be enough to seal the hole, and still have some compression left in it. So defo possible to bend the covers by over tightening, as we've seen all too frequently by mechanics massively overtightening them, then claiming the covers are warped when the oil pisses out :y

on: Today at 11:35:39 
Started by polilara - Last post by polilara
Ok, what I believed is that the O-ring is around the brass spacer in a groove. When this spacer contacts the camshaft bit you can feel it. Turning more just destroys the thread. Have to study this more when back in my carage. Have there my old original covers. Now sitting in my Mobile Home, having nice Easter Time.

on: Today at 11:35:09 
Started by Field Marshal Dr. Opti - Last post by TheBoy
It was a company called Jurassic Fibre (no me neither) that installed ours, and I've only seen one house on our road get connected so far.

I don't think that they could have put the connection point in the pavement by my house in a worse place if they tried.  Same with the neighbours as well.  ::)
Ours is on the wall at the end of the small front gardens so, if you get connected, they have to bury the cable under the garden. Don't think I'd trust them to take up my block paving and put it back the same.

Don't they just blow the fibre through the copper ducts that already go to the house.  That's what they did here in MK.  900Mb sync for £32pm.
Not all altnets are allowed access to Openreach owned ducts, so some have to dig up roads, pavements and the owner's property. So they run their own ducts and blow through them to their distribution nodes.

on: Today at 11:32:15 
Started by Field Marshal Dr. Opti - Last post by TheBoy
Yes, the current copper arrives in a duct, and Gigaclear and Swish have been in the area.

I think I got a leaflet through the door from one of them, saw no ISPs I recognised on the list of those available, so binned it.

I have a Zen fixed price for life contract currently so would need to be convinced I needed the extra speed to switch anyway, although ditching the shitty VDSL noise would be nice. That's more a problem of my neighbours not switching than me, however.  ;D
You HAM boyz.  ADSL/VDSL is like high voltage power lines to you ;D

Pre register interest in Gigaclear does tend to get a very good price offer when they finally allow ordering.  Hence I'm getting £30 a month off.

My Zen is also fixed for life, although I suspect they have a convenient get out clause in that copper phones lines are going, and my contract includes a copper phne line with Zen.  I will probably recontract the internet part when Openreach pull their finger out and provide FTTP here, possibly later this year.

Not sure what to do when OPenreach do do it, just go for the highest speed available (currently 900d/100u due Openreach's short sighted decision to use GPON, but new networks should be about to get 1800d/200u*, still based on GPON).  Or just get a cheap FTTP through Zen and also keep one of the altnets - once you've had a fast upload, its hard to give it up if you use any upload bandwidth...

...when I had the 900Mb service, it was quicker to use OneDrive to copy filies between PCs, rather than USB sticks.  It was the same speed to use OneDrive as it was to copy files across my LAN ;D.  And Youtube uploads dropped from about 3hrs to under 3m ;D

(Though that might get reduced to 120u, again due to stupid decisions around the utterly out of date GPON - GPON allows 2.5Gb download, 1.25Gb upload, shared by all users on that node, usually around 64 - 128 homes.  Altnets tend to use XGS-PON)

on: Today at 11:26:23 
Started by Field Marshal Dr. Opti - Last post by Allenm

on: Today at 11:23:37 
Started by Varche - Last post by Doctor Gollum
With the screen, scuttle and dash out, that panel can theoretically be replaced, it's bonded into a channel in the firewall.

This channel is what eventually leads to the rot as it collects dirt and debris that, in turn, holds moisture. The panel is only powder coated so it's not particularly protected.

Obviously noone is going to go to those lengths to fix the problem properly, so any repair, however well intended, is going to be a bit of a halfarsed bodge.

on: Today at 11:15:13 
Started by Varche - Last post by TheBoy
This - is it ever going to stop raining.

Unblocked scuttle drain and flushed out sludge (again). Might have to look at removing that rubber drain bung, but cant get my arms down past the pollen filter.

If the drain is clear, given the age of all Omegas now, next step is to pull up the passenger carpet and prod the triangular-ish shaped bit of mild steel plate that covers where the steering column goes through on LHD models.  Most of these are probably in a bad state of corrosion now, especially if scuttle drains have been blocked.

If it has rusted through, only real option is some kind of repair, not easy given near zero access.  TBE's was a painted steel plate (with a bolt through it to allow pulling from inside) stuck to what remained with nearly an entire tube of sikaflex.  AFAIK, its still holding now, not that its moved 3 years!

on: Today at 11:11:43 
Started by Doctor Gollum - Last post by Doctor Gollum
According to a previous  member of crew being interviewed the vessel had encountered several mechanical problems in the past,probably well past its serviceable life & poor maintenance wouldn't suprise me in the slightest,hope whoever owns it has decent insurance for all involved , I can see this incident opening up a whole can of worms.
That smacks of a disgruntled former employee rather than anything meaningful.

The ship is registered in Singapore and is owned and operated by Singapore companies and it's been regularly inspected with minimal compliance issues, the most recent one was in New York late last year iirc.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 16 queries.