Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not heard that before  (Read 2738 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Not heard that before
« on: 23 October 2016, 10:22:18 »

A builders merchants truck-a fairly long rigid with a hyab-Came along the main road and turned left onto my road,as he began indicating for the turn a loud beeping started interrupted by a recorded type voice saying "Warning vehicle turning left"which kept repeating.I've never heard that before[I've heard the reversing one of course]How long have they been fitting the left turn warning?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Not heard that before
« Reply #1 on: 23 October 2016, 10:24:19 »

Neither have I. Presumably for the benefit of the lycra'd louts that expect the world to turn about them  :-\

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 October 2016, 10:44:23 »

Yep, seen that recently. A big aggregate truck

I guess they get fed up with having to scrape body parts off the left side wheels
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 October 2016, 13:17:33 »

Been around London area for ages.

I think it is something to do with these new London regulations for trucks and cyclists

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2016, 14:11:03 »

I think it is something to do with these new London regulations for trucks and cyclists
Yea, not that it makes any difference, cyclist are still half asleep, running Red Lights, zig zaging in and out allover the place, with the Music Ear blasters on.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2016, 14:16:38 »

Yup, brought in earlier this year iirc :y

I cautiously welcome it as long it does not give HGV drivers the false sense of no longer having to check the inside for cyclists.  There are times when being on the left of a vehicle is fine, and times when it is dangerous and every hint to those less experienced two-wheelers is welcome.  Everyone should drive/cycle/cross the road defensively anyway.

I just think back to an incident I had in Coventry with a couple of motorists one of which had passed me way too close (in fact if it were not for my reactions and the fact I had left the correct amount of space between me and the kerb I would have been clipped and gone under the wheels on the car behind)  When I caught up with said motorist I calmly asked her to give cyclists more room when passing in future.  I don't know how I stayed calm but I did, and then fatty from 4 cars back got out of his motor and ran up to us....  Apparently he took umbrage with me 'hassling the motorist' at which point I explained what had happened further back up the road. 'You shouldn't pass on the inside of cars that are queuing' was his retort (note that he still hadn't quite understood why I was talking, calmly, to the first motorist in the first place or was he clutching at straws?)  Now here I normally agree with him, I often pass on the right or filter at a safe speed.  But here all the waiting traffic was on the right hand side, waiting to turn right at a junction, so I had no space to pass safely and thus I used the huge gap on the left.  Even though I asked him to cite to me where in the highway code this rule was, he was unwavering.  'What if someone opened their passenger door?' (facepalm)  I then referred him to the highway code which states that cyclists should not pass on the left of vehicles......when the motor vehicles are indicating to turn left.  None were as they were all biased to the right of the road.  His blank look told me I may be getting somewhere.  Before he could compute and retort I asked him if his car was parked, or if it had been left running where it was (I could hear the engine running).  'Ummm....' he hesitated.  When I told him that he was himself in fact breaking the highway code to wrongly accuse me of being in contravention he got back in his car and we all went on our merry way.

The point of all the above?  I think it is a side effect of this placing the blame on cyclists who get caught on the left hand side of marge vehicles.  I know some don't understand the danger and unwittingly put themselves at risk but I have seen it happen to others and myself on many occasions where a large vehicle will start to overtake me and then turn left before having drawn clear, yet the driver will insist he is in the right because he has a yellow sticker on his tailgate which tells him so.  So yes I welcome the audible warning, as long as drivers do not feel that it removes their obligation toward vulnerable road users on the two-way street that is road safety. :y

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2016, 14:20:48 »

Yea, not that it makes any difference, cyclist are still half asleep, running Red Lights, zig zaging in and out allover the place, with the Music Ear blasters on.

I refer you, sir, to point number 5:

https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/community/featured/10-cycling-myths-uncovered

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 October 2016, 14:32:46 »

n
I refer you, sir, to point number 5:

https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/community/featured/10-cycling-myths-uncovered

Mmmm!? I've seen seen a cyclist stop for a red traffic light in along long time

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 October 2016, 21:51:16 »

Nice idea, I wonder what the verbal warning is when he parks up with Hazards on  ???

...... "I`ve decided to park right here, so up yours"   ;)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 October 2016, 03:44:18 »

I have generally found most lorry drivers are above average on how the interact with cyclists, except skip lorries who are a dangerous law until themselves.

I've always ridden two wheeled vehicles on the premise of if I'm involved in an accident, it is me that is going to get hurt and have driven defensibly as a result. Creating your own road space is an important aspect of this and that involves, left-right, forward-rear positioning in creating an appropriate safety cell. As a cyclist left filtering is very dangerous in many situations and get either yourself into a position that a motorist knows you are there or hang back behind them, IMO not rocket science and I'm in no rush to save 0.25 seconds and go to heaven or hell with the time saving. ::)

IMO road safety is very much about like most things in life taking responsibility and acting accordingly. :y

US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 October 2016, 06:53:52 »

Rods2, if your outlook were the norm rather than a rarity, we wouldn't need to have this kind of debate - the world would be right!  :y

Ron.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 October 2016, 10:18:21 »

I never thought I would say this on OOF but I agree with Rods for once :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 October 2016, 17:42:58 »

It's known as FORS scheme, gold, silver, and bronze, all vehicles over 3.5t doing work for Tfl, wimpey, skanks, etc all have to conform, there's a new scheme, that's being brought in.
 both schemes require operators to pay a fee per vehicle, then pay to have them equipped with said safety equipment.
eww.fors.co.uk
Hoof'land storeman.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 October 2016, 18:02:28 »

working link .....

https://www.fors-online.org.uk

Full description of all three standards

https://www.fors-online.org.uk/cms/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/FORSStandard_v4.0_Standard.pdf

Pages 8 (V7), 12 (S3) are the relevant bits to this thread ....

:)
« Last Edit: 24 October 2016, 18:10:10 by Entwood »

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 October 2016, 18:07:11 »

Hoof'land storeman.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 October 2016, 18:13:30 »

It's known as FORS scheme, gold, silver, and bronze, all vehicles over 3.5t doing work for Tfl, wimpey, skanks, etc all have to conform, there's a new scheme, that's being brought in.
 both schemes require operators to pay a fee per vehicle, then pay to have them equipped with said safety equipment.
eww.fors.co.uk

It started life as a tfl run scheme, that has become a effing safety, standard, basically to go on site to make a delivery, you have to be a member" your names not down your not coming in"
Hoof'land storeman.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 October 2016, 18:06:03 »

Now if only there was a warning in the cab to warn the driver when they overtake and cyclist and immediately turn left ::)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.