Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: This has hurt me psychologically 😢  (Read 3586 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
RIP Paul Lovejoy

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: This has hurt me psychologically 😢
« Reply #1 on: 11 November 2018, 13:51:17 »

mmm  :-\
mid range tyres and light drizzle was never going to end well  :D ;D

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 November 2018, 14:24:24 »

Looks like it already had front end damage .

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2018, 14:53:26 »

Haven,t we been here before? :-\

annihilator

• Wirral
    • 2 Jags XKR/JR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2018, 15:42:41 »

Yep, me 2 pages back. 😉

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 November 2018, 17:54:52 »

That might have been my old Omega shod with Goldway 2000's!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 November 2018, 01:04:28 »

I don't understand the mentality of those that shod their cars with ditch finders. My first motorbike was fitted with original japanese 'super wet grip' tyres, designed for performance with a square section rear tyre. :o :o :o The first thing I did was replace them with Dunlop TT100s that completely transformed the limited handling. Replacing that with a wideline featherbed framed Triton showed me what handling was really about. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 November 2018, 01:15:15 »

I don't understand the mentality of those that shod their cars with ditch finders. My first motorbike was fitted with original japanese 'super wet grip' tyres, designed for performance with a square section rear tyre. :o :o :o The first thing I did was replace them with Dunlop TT100s that completely transformed the limited handling. Replacing that with a wideline featherbed framed Triton showed me what handling was really about. :y :y :y
After a Black Shadow the Triton was my dream bike. Lucky you :y :y :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 November 2018, 01:47:57 »

DROOOOL!

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 November 2018, 08:39:36 »

Point is - you found the upgrade to TT100,s a revelation as it made the limits of the bike considerably higher than they previously had been and you enjoyed exploring those limits and were presumably safe as long as you had the experience and feel to stay inside those limits.
Even the most mundane modern bike with cheap modern tyres would make the limits of a featherbed frame and TT100 tyres seem completely laughable.
Same goes for modern cars and modern tyres. A mundane shitebox wearing cheap tyres will easily outperform most sportscars of yesteryear.
Its all relative, but the important thing is to know where the limits are on whatever combination of vehicle / tyres your piloting and not exceed them.
Unexpected situations can arise of course, but if your reading the road ahead and acting accordingly, they don't happen very often.
Conversely, the average moronic t wat in charge of a vehicle, could be driving the best handling car / bike available on the stickiest tyres you can buy and still get themselves into trouble because they don't pay attention and don't have a clue what to do when the unexpected happens.
« Last Edit: 18 November 2018, 08:43:07 by Migv6 »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 November 2018, 08:48:07 »

You’ve totally hit the nail there mate.

When I drive I’m constantly assessing everything. Probably to the point I’m actually on edge. But at least I’m aware of everything. It worries me how drivers lack concentration.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 November 2018, 09:00:29 »

Did you start your motoring career on two wheels, Webby? That would explain your driving style if you did - it's certainly the best way to learn Roadcraft.
Today's cars encourage lack of concentration with their comfort, isolation from the outside world and all the toys to play with.

Ron.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 November 2018, 09:12:33 »

Concentration is a dangerous word... You shouldn't focus on any one thing for more than a few seconds at a time...

Driving a truck, you can reasonably expect to spend as much time looking in the mirrors as out of the windows. No real reason why a car should be any different imho.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 November 2018, 09:21:10 »

Agreed. Concentrating to the point of being tense is a bad thing. Constant awareness off whats happening all around you, and above all reading the road as far ahead as you can see makes for safe, and reasonably relaxed driving.
If you keep looking at one thing - a car coming from the other direction for example - you will hit it. You drive to where your looking.
Known as target fixation.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 November 2018, 09:37:10 »

If you are that much of a bag of nerves Webby, I would reiterate my previous suggestion of some advanced training.

You will appreciate it, your passengers will appreciate it and ultimately you will be able to enjoy driving for what it is ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 November 2018, 09:41:47 »

That sounds like a good idea, DG. Do you mean signing up with the Institute of Advanced Motorists?

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 18 November 2018, 10:21:32 »

When I drive I’m constantly assessing everything. Probably to the point I’m actually on edge. But at least I’m aware of everything. It worries me how drivers lack concentration.
Just smoke a joint before each journey, Webby, it'll calm you down no end.  :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 November 2018, 10:31:13 »

Just smoke a joint before each journey, Webby, it'll calm you down no end.  :y

The skunk of today is much stronger than the 'wacky baccy' of yesteryear. It might make him paranoid. Would that be a problem? :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 November 2018, 10:59:49 »

That sounds like a good idea, DG. Do you mean signing up with the Institute of Advanced Motorists?

Ron.

That's one way.

Some more suggestions:

Watching some of the Youtube videos of commentary driving by trained drivers is a good example of what we mean by being aware of what is going on round you without being tense. Most of the stupid things that other drivers do are predictable well in advance - if you're paying attention - and can be planned for and smoothly avoided.

Your passengers should not be able to feel any of your control inputs - steering, throttle, clutch brakes. Just eliminating the nose of the car bouncing back up as you come to a stop is a good start.

Keep your temper under control! I suggest that much of the bad driving is due to poor temperament as a lack of concentration

Look in the mirrors(all 3 of them) a lot more often! You need to be almost as aware of what is happening behind you as in front.

Think about your signalling. Is it confusing(like indicating to move around a parked car when there's a turning on the right) or even necessary(pedestrians need to know what you're intending to do)

Make eye contact with other road users. If you can't then you KNOW that they haven't seen you, and can act accordingly.

Flow with the traffic, rather than forcing your way through it.

Adjust your seat properly! Your arms and legs should be slightly bent, and there's something wrong if you constantly have to move your body. Omegas are particularly good for this as they have a decent driving position, extremely good seats and well matched controls.

All of this has other benefits, your car will last longer and you spend a lot less on consumables: I got over 50,000 miles from the front brake pads, and 25,000 from the cheap tyres on my Omega and I make good progress; my old boss reckoned she could tell from the drop in fuel economy when other drivers used my truck when I was off and I got over 250,000 miles from the clutches; you and your passengers arrive at the destination relaxed and not tense.
« Last Edit: 18 November 2018, 11:02:14 by Nick W »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 November 2018, 15:18:30 »

Ron.
Not specifically, what Nick describes essentially outlines a course I recently did at work...

Watch the video in the centre of this linked page.

http://www.smithsystem.co.uk/training-solutions/onroad-training/

I don't know if they do private individual training*, but you can certainly ask. If they don't, try an advanced driving course and don't be afraid to ask if they are aware of the concept.

Also, as it's Christmas, a skid pan session makes a good Christmas present, and will give you a lot more confidence in the car and yourself.  ;)

*Harold Smith, who founded patented this 5 step idea, is/was American. If you're over there, look to see if they have a training centre near your holiday base. The principles apply the world over whether you learn them from common sense or on a course...

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 November 2018, 16:08:29 »

Certainly more people should see vids like this. I don't know about anyone else, but watching that it really didnt look like the Omega was going that fast/much lateral force. As has already been said, its all about driving within the vehicle's limits, whatever they may be.

Seem to remember Tiff of Top/5th Gear taking a Morris Minor powersliding round a track - making the point that any vehicle can be driven well, and actually a 'bad' handling car car actually offer huge rewards, and be driven well.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 November 2018, 16:13:53 »

Certainly more people should see vids like this. I don't know about anyone else, but watching that it really didnt look like the Omega was going that fast/much lateral force. As has already been said, its all about driving within the vehicle's limits, whatever they may be.

Seem to remember Tiff of Top/5th Gear taking a Morris Minor powersliding round a track - making the point that any vehicle can be driven well, and actually a 'bad' handling car car actually offer huge rewards, and be driven well.
Irrelevant if you're scared to drive it.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 November 2018, 16:31:36 »

Crikey this thread ran away 😧😧😧😂😂😂😂

I didn’t mean to come across as a bag ‘o’ nerves 😂 to make clear what I meant.... I am always paying attention. And in certain situations especially with tailgaters they do make me a bit twitchy but if I get a retard up my batty I just ease off and control the pace until they get annoyed and overtake. Same with folk seemingly unable to decipher what a lane is and being 3/4 in theirs and 1/4 in mine. But other than that I’m a smooth driver.

One thing I will add...as the years go on with the omega I am more concerned with someone hitting it after all the hard work. Makes me ponder getting a cheap every-day run around and only bringing the omega out when it’s vauxhall fest 😂😂😂😂😂😂
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 November 2018, 19:05:11 »

When I drive I’m constantly assessing everything
The old me would say that unless you were exploring the absolute limits of everything all the time, you weren't trying hard enough...

...but obviously I'm a reformed character now.
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20 November 2018, 08:22:56 »

When I drive I’m constantly assessing everything
The old me would say that unless you were exploring the absolute limits of everything all the time, you weren't trying hard enough...

...but obviously I'm a reformed character now.

It's an age thingie ::)
I like red cars
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.