Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Busted wheel locking bolts  (Read 3206 times)

powerslinky

Busted wheel locking bolts
« on: 09 August 2014, 17:57:13 »

Hi all

My latest black 3.2 MV6

got a problem here  . .  started to prep my alloys for refurbing today . .  1st wheel front n/s  . .  got the locking bolt

key out & it seemed a good fit . Could not budge it with 400mm bar :( , so went on to the other 4 normal bolts .

these must have been done up a windy gun on max or Clark Kent  ::) ::)

Had to use a 1 metre bar to crack these. . . crikey they were tight :o :o

Went back to the locking one & had an assistant help to keep things all square ;)  eventually cracked the locking one as well. but again really tight .

On to the next one  . . same thing  . .so very very tight but cracked the 4 normal ones after a struggle :(

Moved on to the locking one  . .  no joy . cut a long story short the locking key/socket has sheared off leaving all the bits in the locking bolt :'( :'( :'(

So now what ?  any suggestions to help?  Locking bolts are Genuine VX part No.93173882 .  I know these have a code thats on a card in the plastic box they come in  . . . but no card or number in this one . 

There is however what looks like  101 written on the key in faint felt pen . Guessing this could be the code :-\

By "key" I mean the Socket security adaptor that fits on the locking bolt

Is it possible you can buy a  replacement key from VX if you have the code?

Does anyone have a set to check if the code is a 3 figure number ?

Or any other suggestions to get the other 3 off ::) ::) ::)

TIA       Al ;)

mickyboy123

• Intermediate Member
  • brighton
  • hi
    • 2.2 cd omega.petrol auto
    • View Profile
Re: Busted wheel locking bolts
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2014, 18:08:24 »

hi,

just checked mine i dont no if thats my code there an eight digit code on my bolt box. :)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2014, 18:14:48 »

Take your motor (with all the bolts put back on lol  ::)) and pay a couple of quid to have them chisel them off for you. Then replace with normal nuts (extra couple of quid if you have none spare)  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2014, 18:15:34 »

*edit*

Take your motor to a known good tyre shop  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

powerslinky

« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2014, 18:16:15 »

hi,

just checked mine i dont no if thats my code there an eight digit code on my bolt box. :)

Thats more likely to br the VX part No.  Mick  :-\ :-\

My apologies for this thread  . .  I did not realise Terry Pedget had a similar one running  :-[ :-[

powerslinky

« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2014, 18:18:32 »

Take your motor (with all the bolts put back on lol  ::)) and pay a couple of quid to have them chisel them off for you. Then replace with normal nuts (extra couple of quid if you have none spare)  :y

Doubt they could do that Webby as the bolts are in a deep recess as they are  late  3.2 MV6 /Elite wheels

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2014, 18:22:54 »

Doubt they could do that Webby as the bolts are in a deep recess as they are  late  3.2 MV6 /Elite wheels

Fair enough mate  :y Glad I have the sub standard CD wheels  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2014, 18:33:13 »

Just checked the breaker and the card said 104
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

powerslinky

« Reply #8 on: 09 August 2014, 18:40:35 »

Just checked the breaker and the card said 104

thanks for that Omegod . . My  101   Sounds promising then  :y   will call VX on Monday  to  see if they have a master to crack 'em

I will then be chucking 'em as far as possible ;D ;D ;D

badmuver

« Reply #9 on: 09 August 2014, 18:42:15 »

I had to take my car to the garage as mine locking nut socket broke  >:(, It took them about 20 mins  and about £20 to do all four  :).

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 August 2014, 19:43:40 »

Wheel nut torque is 110 Nm which is tight enough. Then allow for the wheels having been put on 2 years ago by a gorilla in a tyre shop with an air line impact wrench set on maximum torque and I find they are jolly hard to remove. Long breaker bars often fail, and can come off the nuts and damage them. The answer is a big high torque impact wrench set on max. I have never known that fail, and I can hold it firmly and square on the nut.

powerslinky

« Reply #11 on: 23 August 2014, 21:47:26 »

Finally got the last one off today  . . .  taken nearly 2 weeks to sort this  . . .  brought a replacement 101 "key"  for £20 . .

Snapped on the first attempt  :'( :'( :'( :'(   as said these wheel nuts were tighter than anything I'd come across before .

Had to resort to various techniques but one was on so tight we had to resort to a careful bit of "keyhole" welding .

had a 3 foot snap on bar with a length of scaffold pole over it to remove the bugger  once a bolt was welded to it .

All the wheel bolts were like this  . . .   it's been a nightmare  . . . but now sorted  . . . 'appy days  :y :y :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 August 2014, 21:55:02 »

. . . . but now sorted  . . . 'appy days  :y :y :y

:y :y :y :y

omega3000

« Reply #13 on: 23 August 2014, 22:13:18 »

Finally got the last one off today  . . .  taken nearly 2 weeks to sort this  . . .  brought a replacement 101 "key"  for £20 . .

Snapped on the first attempt  :'( :'( :'( :'(   as said these wheel nuts were tighter than anything I'd come across before .

Had to resort to various techniques but one was on so tight we had to resort to a careful bit of "keyhole" welding .

had a 3 foot snap on bar with a length of scaffold pole over it to remove the bugger once a bolt was welded to it .

All the wheel bolts were like this  . . .   it's been a nightmare  . . . but now sorted  . . . 'appy days  :y :y :y

That brings back memories  :(

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 August 2014, 22:41:09 »

had a 3 foot snap on bar with a length of scaffold pole over it to remove the bugger once a bolt was welded to it .

That brings back memories  :(

Yup.......... :D :D

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 August 2014, 22:46:49 »

Troublesome things  >:(, Chucked all mine in the bin, Just put chrome wheel nut covers on which are almost impossible to remove without the tool  :y

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 August 2014, 23:02:23 »

Troublesome things  >:(, Chucked all mine in the bin, Just put chrome wheel nut covers on which are almost impossible to remove without the tool  :y
Do you mean them plastic silver ones...

In other words Linky linky  ;D ;D ;D

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 August 2014, 23:18:05 »

Na I bought some decent ones  :y

« Last Edit: 23 August 2014, 23:22:50 by Mr.OmegaMan »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 August 2014, 09:58:16 »

Let this be a little warning to all that once you have had a tyre shop touch your car, when you get home, loosen and retorque the wheel bolts.

Consider getting rid of GM locking wheelbolts, as they are made of cheese. I always manually loosen the locking ones, rather than use a gun for this very reason.
Grumpy old man

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 August 2014, 11:48:34 »

I always put copper slip on the threads and bolts seats before re-fitting as this helps to stop the corrosion between alloy and metal and never had a problem  :y

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 August 2014, 11:54:44 »

I wouldn't touch wheelbolts with copperslip or any other lubrication....
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

powerslinky

« Reply #21 on: 24 August 2014, 11:55:38 »

like the look of those myself  . . .  no link then  ;) ;)    any sort of contact details mr. omegaman ? :-\

« Last Edit: 24 August 2014, 11:59:22 by Essex Big Al »

powerslinky

« Reply #22 on: 24 August 2014, 11:57:53 »

I wouldn't touch wheelbolts with copperslip or any other lubrication....

These troublesome ones WERE  copperslipped . . . but made no difference to ease of removal  . . . :'( :'(

So each to there own  I guess  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 August 2014, 21:06:09 »

I coppaslip the wheel-to-hub bits, and the taper of the wheelbolts. Its the only way you stand half a chance of undoing them with the shite wrench that GM supply at the side of the road ;D
Grumpy old man

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 August 2014, 21:12:17 »

Yep i do the same  as wheel is alloy and hub is metal so helps to stop any corrosion  that makes them a bar steward to part when removing the wheel  :y

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 24 August 2014, 21:36:54 »

like the look of those myself  . . .  no link then  ;) ;)    any sort of contact details mr. omegaman ? :-\

Sorry yeah i'll dig the link up bought them some 2 years ago.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 August 2014, 09:57:35 »

I coppaslip the wheel-to-hub bits, and the taper of the wheelbolts. Its the only way you stand half a chance of undoing them with the shite wrench that GM supply at the side of the road ;D
I rejoice that Omegas carry full size spare wheels and the tools to change wheels at the roadside. So many cars these days come with space saver skinny wheels, or, worse, no spare at all, just an aerosol of porridge to squirt into the flat tyre in the vain hope that it will plug the hole and reinflate it - that's no good to me.

I carry an extensible wheel nut tool and a torch too, and a tool roll. I do  not yet carry a spare crank position sensor, but I think I should.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 August 2014, 11:52:18 »

I rejoice that Omegas carry full size spare wheels and the tools to change wheels at the roadside. So many cars these days come with space saver skinny wheels, or, worse, no spare at all, just an aerosol of porridge to squirt into the flat tyre in the vain hope that it will plug the hole and reinflate it - that's no good to me.

I carry an extensible wheel nut tool and a torch too, and a tool roll. I do  not yet carry a spare crank position sensor, but I think I should.
FL spare wheels count as (almost) a space saver, hence the 80kph stickers all over them.
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 August 2014, 12:01:56 »

That's easily sorted on an estate, as a 17 wheel and tyre fit in the well.

05omegav6

« Reply #29 on: 25 August 2014, 12:59:56 »

As do 18"s, the only issue is the the well was designed for the stock 195/65/15 spare so anyy thing much above 205 width lifts the boot floor slightly...

This is a very small price to pay for being able to continue your journey without the need to slow down imho...

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 25 August 2014, 13:12:56 »

As do 18"s, the only issue is the the well was designed for the stock 195/65/15 spare so anything much above 205 width lifts the boot floor slightly...

This is a very small price to pay for being able to continue your journey without the need to slow down imho...

Yes, just enough so that the latch doesn't work.
As for continuing your journey, I couldn't agree more. Which is why mum's Focus now has a proper alloy in it. Although a spacesaver at least gets you going; a knackered tyre and a can of foam leaves you stranded.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25 August 2014, 15:10:08 »

FL spare wheels count as (almost) a space saver, hence the 80kph stickers all over them.
I don't recall any such sticker. I keep buying used Omegas on e-bay, all come with unused spare wheels,  steel wheels fitted with assorted makes of tyre, all 205/65R15 94H tyres. My 2.5 estate is currently running on four of them, and the spare is a brand new similar wheel. It seemed a shame to waste them.

I have heard say that one should not use 10 year old tyres, but I cannot see why. The tyres on my Stoic lawn mower are 50 years old, and look good for another fifty years. I think it is daylight that causes them to crack.

Now you mention it, there may have been labels on them, now hidden under hub caps. Yellow curved things, with printing on them. Perhaps they feared that mixing tyres of different sizes would be unwise.

05omegav6

« Reply #32 on: 26 August 2014, 01:39:27 »

The issues are two fold...

Firstly, the spares are narrower and have taller sidewalls, therefore offering a different level of lateral grip to a wider tyre, thus affecting cornering performance.

Secondly, the different rolling radius on one wheel could potentially upset the abs ecu as one wheel will always be at a different speed to the others.

:y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 26 August 2014, 18:12:08 »

I have heard say that one should not use 10 year old tyres, but I cannot see why. The tyres on my Stoic lawn mower are 50 years old, and look good for another fifty years. I think it is daylight that causes them to crack.
In a nutshell, because that's what the tyre manufacturers say. Fall outside of this, and you could run into insurance problems.

For spares, I don't see it as a problem, as the different sizes and rating means you should treat as a spacesaver, 80kph. Its a get-you-home :)
Grumpy old man

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 01 September 2014, 21:41:25 »

I don't recall any such sticker. I keep buying used Omegas on e-bay, all come with unused spare wheels,  steel wheels fitted with assorted makes of tyre, all 205/65R15 94H tyres. My 2.5 estate is currently running on four of them, and the spare is a brand new similar wheel. It seemed a shame to waste them.

Now you mention it, there may have been labels on them, now hidden under hub caps. Yellow curved things, with printing on them. Perhaps they feared that mixing tyres of different sizes would be unwise.
I was wrong. They are labelled, pics follow. I imagine many old Omegas are scrapped with brand new spares in their boots. What a shame.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2j5syr4eoohhe9/LABEL40%25.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2z6t6m1mniyjck/80KPH%2040%25.jpg?dl=0

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.