Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thermostat  (Read 1589 times)

Ralph

• Northumberland
    • 2.6 MV6
    • View Profile
Thermostat
« on: 30 August 2014, 20:33:01 »

I believe my thermostat is failing, it's taking about 5 miles before the temperature gauge starts moving up & it barely reaches 80 degrees unless in slow moving traffic.

Any body any idea how much a dealer will want to replace it ?

Thanks

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Thermostat
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2014, 20:59:40 »

If it all goes well, it's going to be at least an hour's work. Plus the cost of the part, and OE are about 3 times as much as the same part in the actual manufacturer's box.
Why would you want to go to a dealer for a straightforward job like this?

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2014, 21:25:47 »

I believe my thermostat is failing, it's taking about 5 miles before the temperature gauge starts moving up & it barely reaches 80 degrees unless in slow moving traffic.

Any body any idea how much a dealer will want to replace it ?

Thanks
£27,862.43 at a guess :D

As Nick suggests, it's a straight forward job, just be sure to get the correct thermostat as the castings vary, and get the alloy transfer pipe that joins it to the radiator top hose... they are prone to breaking on removal :y
« Last Edit: 30 August 2014, 21:28:40 by Doesn't play well with others... »

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2014, 22:26:15 »

If it all goes well, it's going to be at least an hour's work. Plus the cost of the part, and OE are about 3 times as much as the same part in the actual manufacturer's box.

Which brand is that then?

I did the job a while back while doing other work and fitted just a thermostat using the existing housing and transfer tube.

(might of been ac delco)

Ended up doing the job again 12 months later when the thermostat stuck sending the needle off the gauge.

Fitted the gm stuff second time around.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2014, 22:40:29 »

Which brand is that then?

I did the job a while back while doing other work and fitted just a thermostat using the existing housing and transfer tube.

(might of been ac delco)

Ended up doing the job again 12 months later when the thermostat stuck sending the needle off the gauge.

Fitted the gm stuff second time around.

and there's the rub. Anyone can fit cheap parts on a car, but it depends if you want those parts to last ....especially on parts that are a bugger to fit - like a V6 'stat

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2014, 22:57:35 »

...to change the 'stat, then perhaps another two to fit the 'B' bolt. ;D ;D ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2014, 23:24:13 »

I used an AC Delco one from the States, about twice the price of a cheapy here, but including pistage was about £35 iirc. Bought from a GM dealer in Florida. No issues with bolt length. Search for thermostat under my name and you'll find the link... Bought via eBay.com search for it there using the GM part number :y

sjr47

« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2014, 00:00:03 »

Think TIS states about 2.5 hours labour to remove & replace then there,s bleeding of the system ,cost off coolant & parts bet you don,t get much change out of £350 notes at a dealer .Did mine last year using a Wahler stat a good quality German make (the flange is thinner but not a major problem) and  took me best part of 8 hrs mainly down to struggling with removal and replacement of the transfer pipe and B bolt in temperatures close to freezing! but give yourself time and its very doable would rate it as about 3 spanners on the Haynes scale  :y :y
« Last Edit: 31 August 2014, 00:04:50 by sjr47 »

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2014, 06:00:42 »

Here you go...

The correct, genuine thermostat for 2.6/3.2 engines

About £40 to your door in four days, and less than half the price of a Vauxhall bought one :y

You'll also need one of these... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-Catera-CTS-Saturn-Vue-L-series-Thermostat-Housing-Tube-90411629-/200750794653?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ACadillac%7CModel%3ACatera&hash=item2ebdae079d&vxp=mtr £12ish from Vauxhall, and 5 litres of red coolant and 5 litres of distilled water :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2014, 08:46:00 »

On trade, genuine stat is about £50+VAT. Budget for xfer pipe as well as this occasionally breaks, approx. £10. Get the right bolts as the stat thickness does vary.

So about £75-80 (with coolant) to DIY.

Dealer will be around £250-£300 in labour, plus retail parts price. Back street garage will half labour costs. Both will likely make a pigs ear of it.

If you are near one of the willing OOF mechanics, labour costs will be far less, and a better job done, as OOFers understand the Omega better than anyone now...
Grumpy old man

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2014, 10:12:38 »

Here you go...

The correct, genuine thermostat for 2.6/3.2 engines

About £40 to your door in four days, and less than half the price of a Vauxhall bought one :y

You'll also need one of these... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-Catera-CTS-Saturn-Vue-L-series-Thermostat-Housing-Tube-90411629-/200750794653?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ACadillac%7CModel%3ACatera&hash=item2ebdae079d&vxp=mtr £12ish from Vauxhall, and 5 litres of red coolant and 5 litres of distilled water :y

To make up the 50/50 coolant? I used the stuff that comes out of the tap on the 2.5 yesterday post water pump change.......is that bad?
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2014, 10:18:15 »

Not ideal, as all tap water contains minerals to a greater or lesser degree, whereas distilled water is pure :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2014, 10:59:51 »

Not ideal, as all tap water contains minerals to a greater or lesser degree, whereas distilled water is pure :y

But while some tap water is vile to drink ..... east coast/Skegness, others are a whole lot nicer & are more than good enough ie those of us that get it direct from the Lakes  :y :y

05omegav6

« Reply #13 on: 31 August 2014, 11:24:44 »

But while some tap water is vile to drink ..... east coast/Skegness, others are a whole lot nicer & are more than good enough ie those of us that get it direct from the Lakes  :y :y
Still full of suspended minerals which will eventually make the engine waterways look like a ten year old kettle in a hard water area :-\

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 August 2014, 13:42:08 »

Still full trace of suspended minerals which will eventually make the engine waterways look like a ten year old kettle in a hard water area :-\

Not really, as a ten year old kettle has had 4000+ litres of water through it with every litre bringing more minerals, the cooling system on the other hand has only had 40 litres in closed loop in the same ten years. Deposits from metal corrosion as a result of inadequate corrosion inhibitors (ie coolant) would be more significant. :y
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 31 August 2014, 14:53:53 »

Not really, as a ten year old kettle has had 4000+ litres of water through it with every litre bringing more minerals, the cooling system on the other hand has only had 40 litres in closed loop in the same ten years. Deposits from metal corrosion as a result of inadequate corrosion inhibitors (ie coolant) would be more significant. :y

What he ^^^ said .......... and never had a problem with any car with proper drinkable northern water  :y :y
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.