Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cambelt renewal ?  (Read 2395 times)

glenny73

• Swanscombe
    • 2.2 cd 2003
    • View Profile
Cambelt renewal ?
« on: 31 August 2014, 17:17:06 »

Hi all what is the period a cambelt should be changed it's was done at 60,000 it's on 98,000 now I was told it was 4 years 40,000 or 60,000 which is it thanks
« Last Edit: 31 August 2014, 17:20:01 by glenny73 »

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Cambelt renewal ?
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2014, 18:01:11 »

Recommended on here is 40K or 4 years.  ;)

Stallion

• Omega Knight
  • Romford
  • "If you can't CONVINCE them, CONFUSE them"!!
    • 3.2 Irmscher Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2014, 18:29:56 »

Recommended on here is 40K or 4 years.  ;)

+1

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2014, 20:51:10 »

+2  :y

Get it done  :y. Looks like its near enough due   :)

Depending on where you are, there is likely to be a friendly OOF'er who could help  ;)

glenny73

• Swanscombe
    • 2.2 cd 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2014, 00:24:51 »

Sounds good who could do cambelt change and how much cheers glenn

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2014, 18:05:26 »

Daz would be my first choice although he does live up north :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

stagnelius

• Sweden
    • Omega B Combi 2.5 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2014, 18:58:14 »

What about the information given in Haynes - if the tensioner assembly is of the modified type with an E (or EA or EB) stamped on the tensioner pulley/upper guide pulley backplate - then the renewal interval can be extended to 80 000 miles or 8 years?

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 01 September 2014, 19:10:32 »

Haynes is sometimes correct, sometimes wrong and sometimes it has moments of pure fantasy...

Vauxhall reverted to 40k intervals for later cars due to excessive warranty claims as a direct result of dealer negligence... basically they were only swapping the belts, allowing the tensioners to fail ::)

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 September 2014, 20:21:23 »

Haynes is sometimes correct, sometimes wrong and sometimes it has moments of pure fantasy...

Ahh yes I remember them fantasy days !  Was about to replace distributor cap oil seal on my old Carlton Diplomat.  Looked easy from the Hayles picture  :y. Then noticed the footnote on the Haynes picture which said "Engine REMOVED for clarity"  >:( DOOH !

omega3000

« Reply #9 on: 01 September 2014, 20:46:32 »

Ahh yes I remember them fantasy days !  Was about to replace distributor cap oil seal on my old Carlton Diplomat.  Looked easy from the Hayles picture  :y. Then noticed the footnote on the Haynes picture which said "Engine REMOVED for clarity" >:( DOOH !

;D

andrew38

• Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Insignia 2.0Cdti 163
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 September 2014, 09:01:19 »

Cambelts very rarely fail its the tensioners that let go, personally if it was done at 60k miles with a new tensioner I would leave it, cost more to replace than the car is worth at a garage. Always a gamble as are most things in life but a fair chance that it will last until you part company with the car, hard headed maybe just pure economics.

chrisgixer

« Reply #11 on: 02 September 2014, 09:31:05 »

Cambelts very rarely fail its the tensioners that let go, personally if it was done at 60k miles with a new tensioner I would leave it, cost more to replace than the car is worth at a garage. Always a gamble as are most things in life but a fair chance that it will last until you part company with the car, hard headed maybe just pure economics.

Neither... you sir, need to get your hands dirty with some of these jobs. The car is worth more than its value to most here, especially if your stuck at the road side with a busted engine at the most inconvenient time. Not to mention the potential for an accident if the car stops in the middle of the road.

Tensioner and roller kit is part of the belt change as its the bearings that fail. Period used to be 80k to Impress fleet managers, but was reduced to 40k due to the number of failures on the bearings. This has nothing to do with the baking plate as the roller/tensioner are interchangeable.

There is a video on DVD from the club shop, and a cam/crank locking kit can be borrowed, loaned, rented bought on ebay etc to make the job very doable diy at somewhere in the order of £80-90 for the cam belt kit of you shop around. Gates, conti, skf where all suppliers to the manufacturer so any of those will do.

No excuse really. :)

05omegav6

« Reply #12 on: 02 September 2014, 09:53:40 »

Quite :y even I can change a cambelt successfully, and I'm a ham fisted gimp monkey ::)

glenny73

• Swanscombe
    • 2.2 cd 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 September 2014, 10:39:23 »

If poss any offers who could do cambelt for me not the sort of job I could do only being honest :y

andrew38

• Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Insignia 2.0Cdti 163
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 September 2014, 10:50:42 »

I do agree, I should get my hands dirty more, but I use the car so rarely being a loyal client of South West Trains I tend to take the path of least resistance. I had my cambelt and water pump done just over 3 years ago and never thought to get them done again doing on average less than 3k a year. I do basic work on the Corsa but its pretty simple to work on compared to the Omega.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.