Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil leak from filter housing  (Read 10660 times)

aaronjb

Re: Oil leak from filter housing
« Reply #75 on: 16 October 2019, 16:27:26 »

Well .. it's under the car, which is fairly sensible ;D there's even a hatch in the undertray to get at it.

And if they'd made the hatch about 1" bigger all around, it would actually come out through it without getting stuck and tipping all the oil out into the undertray ::) ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 17 October 2019, 10:19:51 »

My BMW is the same - when you try and pull the filter & cap out through the little service hatch, the filter will invariably become detached..

You can, however, just about wiggle them both back in again as a unit to avoid the filter getting crushed. Once you've cleaned all the oil off yourself, of course, that came out of the filter housing.. (there is a drain bung on the filter cap, actually, but it is almost always seized in..)
Didn't they put it somewhere sensible, like on the previous v8 ::)

The M50(and derivative) engines put it vertical at the front of the head casting. Vauxhall's 1.0l triple is the same, as are other engines. This arrangement makes sense as it's easy to remove the cap, change the filter without making any mess, and reassemble without any issues. Replacing a horizontal spin-on filter with a large, separate, poorly located casting to hold a paper filter is an underengineered solution to a problem that did not, and still does not, exist.

aaronjb

« Reply #77 on: 17 October 2019, 10:41:00 »

The M50(and derivative) engines put it vertical at the front of the head casting. Vauxhall's 1.0l triple is the same, as are other engines. This arrangement makes sense as it's easy to remove the cap, change the filter without making any mess, and reassemble without any issues. Replacing a horizontal spin-on filter with a large, separate, poorly located casting to hold a paper filter is an underengineered solution to a problem that did not, and still does not, exist.

I loved that location on the M3 - made oil filter changes so easy. Of course, if you try and be all clever and 'pre fill' the filter with oil you, er.. well I would have just filled the sump, had I not also left the sump plug out at the time  :-[ :-[ ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 17 October 2019, 10:48:08 »

I loved that location on the M3 - made oil filter changes so easy. Of course, if you try and be all clever and 'pre fill' the filter with oil you, er.. well I would have just filled the sump, had I not also left the sump plug out at the time  :-[ :-[ ;D

that's the disadvantage - ignoring operator error - the filter is a long way from the pickup and pump. I'd go for an external, crank driven pump next to the sump with a spin-on filter hanging off the pump housing. Like an XE Vauxhall :)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.