Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorry, but the scuttle guide is useless.  (Read 9821 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Sorry, but the scuttle guide is useless.
« Reply #30 on: 20 November 2006, 20:57:40 »

Slight mistake in above info - the plastic clips need to be turned through 90 degrees (so slot is parallel to bas of windscreen), then lift then out. Once all 8 are out (and that torx screw removed, and rubber strip that runs along from of scuttle is removed (sometimes bonnet cable attached to this), the scuttle should wiggle out...
Wait, I tried turning one in every orientation and pulling it out with needle-nose and I couldn't get it out?
As said, turn it so slot is in 9 oclock/3oclock position, then wiggle/lift stud out...
OK, I'll try harder in that orientation.  All the way out?
Yes, the plastic clips lift all way out. The bottom of clip is T shaped which fits in slot, if that makes sense...
Grumpy old man

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 20 November 2006, 20:57:57 »

Look mate, we had doors when you had wig-wams
;D ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 20 November 2006, 21:00:25 »

If I had a photo of a clip, it would be obvious. But I ain't. Sorry.
Grumpy old man

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 20 November 2006, 21:02:51 »

Further evidenced by all of the caravans that clog up the roads in summer!

At least our roads were built after the horse and buggy became popular!  ;) ;D
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 20 November 2006, 21:05:09 »

Errr...... Horse and cart ;)

STMO123

« Reply #35 on: 20 November 2006, 21:06:50 »

Well, you wont be getting stuck behind any caravans for a while ;D ;D ;D (Sorry) :-[

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 20 November 2006, 21:56:34 »

Well, you wont be getting stuck behind any caravans for a while ;D ;D ;D (Sorry) :-[
No, I just get to enjoy your modern and fully developed public transport system  ;) ;D

STMO123

« Reply #37 on: 20 November 2006, 22:04:43 »

I think we'd better stop there. I've had my brother in law up from London this weekend with his new american bride. What started off as gentle ribbing almost turned into world war three. :o

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20 November 2006, 22:11:46 »

I think we'd better stop there. I've had my brother in law up from London this weekend with his new american bride. What started off as gentle ribbing almost turned into world war three. :o
Yeah, americans can be touchy.  So can new brides.  Put together . . . .  :o

edit: Gentle ribbing over here is a bit stronger than what you get in the states  ::) :D
« Last Edit: 20 November 2006, 22:12:50 by theolodian »

Martin_1962

« Reply #39 on: 20 November 2006, 23:50:50 »

We could all compare your version of how it should be written then with NIXORO's & we'll take a vote on it!  ::)
I've just read NIXORO's version and compared to my experience of removing the scuttle (pre forum) I can't fault it.
It is fine, in that it covers what is obvious after you open the hood.  It does go a bit further in mentioning the screws at the base of the windscreen, but not what to do with them.  It also doesn't say what tools you need.

Long story short, I'm not mechanically inept, but with those instructions I could not remove the scuttle while being confident that I would not break it or the windscreen.

Hood - ooh a convertible!

Truck - ooh an elephant!

BTW Theolodian is American so let him off the convertible elephant!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 21 November 2006, 04:54:33 »

BTW Theolodian is American so let him off the convertible elephant!
As the thread progressed I'd gathered that.  :-[  :-[
Sorry!  :)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 21 November 2006, 10:22:28 »

I spent 45 mins trying to get it off today.  Got the wipers off, but that's it.  Could not get the screw out of the o/s strut tower.  Is it T25 or T28?  Stripped out my T20 after backing it out 2 turns and getting stuck on the rust.  I want to go buy the right bit, so please tell me what to get.

Main thing though, what is the deal with the plastic screws at the base of the windscreen?  I could not get them to release.  If I had had the right crank sensor from VX I would have snipped them off with the dykes.  I'd prefer not to, so any suggestions?

Anything else I need to know once I get past those 2 issues?  Otherwise the scuttle is getting torn out in shreds so that I can get the car back here.  Then I'll have to get one from a breaker.

Thanks in advance!

Well My apologies the guide was not as detailed as it should be feel free to update or even replace it with your own version of how to do the job, My guide was copied across from the other side back when I used the other site and moved over and so I dont actually have access to change anything but like I say feel free to bin mine and right your own.

By the way a simple pm would have done the trick instead of a whole thread which yes it airs your views but makes me feel like a C**t for writing it in the first place.

Still as I say feel free to bin mine and write your own.
« Last Edit: 21 November 2006, 13:43:51 by nixoro »

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 21 November 2006, 13:50:33 »

I spent 45 mins trying to get it off today.  Got the wipers off, but that's it.  Could not get the screw out of the o/s strut tower.  Is it T25 or T28?  Stripped out my T20 after backing it out 2 turns and getting stuck on the rust.  I want to go buy the right bit, so please tell me what to get.

Main thing though, what is the deal with the plastic screws at the base of the windscreen?  I could not get them to release.  If I had had the right crank sensor from VX I would have snipped them off with the dykes.  I'd prefer not to, so any suggestions?

Anything else I need to know once I get past those 2 issues?  Otherwise the scuttle is getting torn out in shreds so that I can get the car back here.  Then I'll have to get one from a breaker.

Thanks in advance!

Well My apologies the guide was not as detailed as it should be feel free to update or even replace it with your own version of how to do the job, My guide was copied across from the other side back when I used the other site and moved over and so I dont actually have access to change anything but like I say feel free to bin mine and right your own.

By the way a simple pm would have done the trick instead of a whole thread which yes it airs your views but makes me feel like a C**t for righting it in the first place.

Sorry, wasn't an attack on you.  It's just that everyone tells you to go read the guide, or disagrees and says the guide tells you all that you need, so I tried to skip wasting time on that right up front.  Mainly, I don't like how you can't reply to guides to add your own info right there and then.  They get stuck at an early stage whereas they should be like Wikis, everyone can contribute.

It has taken 3 pages to get an answer on the screws at the base of the windscreen, and we still haven't figured out what size torx bit to use for the other screw, so obviously very few people really know how to do this.  I do appreciate the effort people put into the guides, but it can be frustrating when you ride a bus for 2hrs to go work on your car thinking you have what you need and find out that you don't, and then have to ride the bus 2hrs home again.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 21 November 2006, 14:58:35 »

Thanks in advance!

By the way a simple pm would have done the trick instead of a whole thread which yes it airs your views but makes me feel like a C**t for righting it in the first place.

Sorry, wasn't an attack on you.  It's just that everyone tells you to go read the guide, or disagrees and says the guide tells you all that you need, so I tried to skip wasting time on that right up front.  Mainly, I don't like how you can't reply to guides to add your own info right there and then.  They get stuck at an early stage whereas they should be like Wikis, everyone can contribute.

It has taken 3 pages to get an answer on the screws at the base of the windscreen, and we still haven't figured out what size torx bit to use for the other screw, so obviously very few people really know how to do this.  I do appreciate the effort people put into the guides, but it can be frustrating when you ride a bus for 2hrs to go work on your car thinking you have what you need and find out that you don't, and then have to ride the bus 2hrs home again.

Well Theolodian when you put it like that I can only apologise for my earlier post. I knew at the time when it was moved over it was a basic guide but as you say the main details such as removing those awkward clips and torx size is necessary to complete the guide.

Again my apologies and if admin/mods feel a better guide would be more beneficial feel free to delete or edit.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 21 November 2006, 16:46:29 »

No worries mate :)

Now anyone know what size torx?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.