Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine Oil Leak - 1997 2.5 Auto Petrol 138k miles  (Read 808 times)

2am Omega

• London Heathrow
    • View Profile
Engine Oil Leak - 1997 2.5 Auto Petrol 138k miles
« on: 01 December 2010, 22:49:15 »

"Check Engine Oil" dashboard alert warning came on. Instant fuel consumption worsened but car drove apparently normally. Dip stick showed no oil .. completely off the scale .. empty? Went to local Kwik-Fit to inspect on ramps. LOTS of fresh oil had leaked and spread, blown backwards along lowest areas. Highest visible oil seemed to be on lowest part of Oil Filter. No water emulsion on oil filler cap so head gasket problem unlikely .. and oil leak is external. Filter change is long overdue .. maybe it has rotted away and leaked? Suggestions please.

feeutfo

Re: Engine Oil Leak - 1997 2.5 Auto Petrol 138k miles
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2010, 23:28:23 »

Well Hello 2am, how ya doing? Apart from the oil leak obviously....?

Er, very concerning the oil level is off the dip stick, hopefully it didn't go far after the oil warning came on?

Unusual place for oil to escape. If yours is a canister with paper filter within, as opposed to spin on type, I would be very surprised if it's leaked from there. They are a bugger to undo usually.

Is the crank sensor seal ok? It's very close by.

Oil cooler pipes right next to filter, are the unions still tight?

Maybe oil pipes are leaking and running down to that point or cam cover seals blown and running down, but they don't leak that much when they fail so not likely.

Odd one and struggling tbh....

But why, when the oil light comes on, did we notice a loss of economy? Last thing I'd notice under such circumstances I'm sure. Please tell me you pulled over straight away...      

2am Omega

• London Heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2010, 23:51:12 »

Hi Chris, I hope you're well. Thanks again for your help last year. And thanks for your input now. I still love my Omega but concerned by this oil leak.

I only drove slowly for a couple of miles coming back from hospital after the warning alert (on dashboard display, not medical alert !! ). Oil filter is a white metal canister .. tight. I have a new filter. Can it only be accessed from below to change it?

I don't know about the crank sensor seal or oil cooler unions. Is there a link to diagrams or photos please?

I always have my eye on the fuel consumption. It is a barometer of the health of the car .. honest hahaha !!

Please keep thinking and posting suggestions. Thanks.
« Last Edit: 01 December 2010, 23:58:01 by 2am »

feeutfo

« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2010, 00:15:35 »

Yes, below only for filter.

Usually oil leak will be at most forward point on the car, then blown back...?

Most common causes of oil leaks, cam covers, crank seal front or rear, oil level or pressure sensors on top of sump.

Only driving for a couple of miles is enough to kill the motor with no oil. Let's hope it was a slow enough leak.

2am Omega

• London Heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2010, 16:46:03 »

Several possible causes to consider. Please suggest the action I should take to explore each option. Cost is a big consideration. Is there an easy way to eliminate some possible causes of the oil leak, which is not just a dribble.

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2010, 20:41:49 »

I'm afraid the only way to find out where the leak is coming from is to get under the car and look.  :(
I would start at the oil filter.  :y

2am Omega

• London Heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2010, 23:46:54 »

Thanks Kneepad. Will a trolley jack lift the car high enough to access the oil filter and view the surrounding area for leaks? I don't have access to a pit or ramp. Chris said these filters are difficult to remove. What is the best way to grip and unscrew a tight oil filter please?

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2010, 23:57:05 »

Yes it will, but don't go under without using axle stands.   :y

If it's a screw on filter canister then I've found the chain wrench pretty good. something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HANDY-CAR-VAN-ENGINE-OIL-FILTER-WRENCH-CHAIN-NEW-/370437684649?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item563fce7da9
« Last Edit: 04 December 2010, 00:02:38 by Kneepad »

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 04 December 2010, 00:00:00 »

If it's this type they aren't too bad

Ir you have a Jack capable of get g the car up on stands that's fine. Never work under a car with just a Jack for support.

feeutfo

« Reply #9 on: 04 December 2010, 00:04:40 »

This type can be awkward

Socket on the end cap.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.