Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A decent and well written article on the subject of cycling on UK roads  (Read 1916 times)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile

I agree with the majority of this article, I still have reservations about riding in packs but that's my own (minority among cyclists) opinion.

http://www.motoring.co.uk/car-news/cyclists-why-do-they-ride-in-the-middle-of-the-road-_62617

Once more in to the breech........ ;D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile

I agree with the majority of this article, I still have reservations about riding in packs but that's my own (minority among cyclists) opinion.

http://www.motoring.co.uk/car-news/cyclists-why-do-they-ride-in-the-middle-of-the-road-_62617

Once more in to the breech........ ;D

I agree having been a long term cyclist and club cyclist, motorcyclist and car driver. I know how vulnerable I am as a cyclist and motorcyclist and try and ride as safely as possible, in an accident with car, van bus or lorry, regardless of whose fault it is it is me that is going to get hurt. I generally find the worst motorists are some taxi drivers, school run women and older men. Lorry, van and enthusiast car drivers I generally find are the most safe and courteous.

I've no time for red light runners, those that ride or park on pavements, are inconsiderate to pedestrians on shared pavement and cycleways. Bad inconsiderate illegal, careless, dangerous driving is just that regardless of your vehicle. Too many cyclists seem to think they are invincible and car drivers seem to forget that they are driving a 1 to 2 tonne piece of metal that can and does kill.

Most people don't realise travelling about, regardless of the mode of transport is the MOST dangerous day-to-day thing that we all do and 1 in 200 will die in their lifetime as a result.  :'(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile

Cyclists, in law, operate “carriages”, and have done since a court case in 1879. And, as operators of vehicles they have as much right to the whole lane as a motorist.
Pity they weren`t required by law to have some level of insurance then ???
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile

Surely both cyclists and equestrians are inappropriate to today's roads and traffic conditions? As they make no contribution to road costs and are not licensed - therefore not answerable for their misdeeds as motorists are - and cannot be banned, it is time to consider whether they should be on the road at all.
In fact, they often are not, preferring to ride illegally on the pavements and/or ignoring traffic lights, etc.
Those cyclists who are also drivers will try to counter the above by saying that they paid road tax as well, but they pay as MOTORISTS, not cyclists.

Ron.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile

Cyclists, in law, operate “carriages”, and have done since a court case in 1879. And, as operators of vehicles they have as much right to the whole lane as a motorist.

Last count, I was insured 3 times over for riding a bike.  Most people are insured for it without even realising it :y

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile

Last count, I was insured 3 times over for riding a bike.  Most people are insured for it without even realising it :y
House insurance perchance??
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile

Those cyclists who are also drivers will try to counter the above by saying that they paid road tax as well, but they pay as MOTORISTS, not cyclists.

Ron.

Ah, but they pay the same while damaging the road less. In fact I am wrong, I pay no |VED on my Leaf, so by your reckoning I should rive that on the pavements too? ???

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile

House insurance perchance??

And club insurance, CTC membership insurance and Triathlon England insurance....break!  4 times now!

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile

Surely both cyclists and equestrians are inappropriate to today's roads and traffic conditions? As they make no contribution to road costs and are not licensed - therefore not answerable for their misdeeds as motorists are - and cannot be banned, it is time to consider whether they should be on the road at all.
In fact, they often are not, preferring to ride illegally on the pavements and/or ignoring traffic lights, etc.

Ron.

Are you really suggesting that 12 year olds should pay road tax ?? (many 12 year olds ride bikes around the estate in a safe and enjoyable fashion)

next you'll want a tax on pedestrians who just "might" walk on "your" road ???

The Queens Highway is open to everyone to use .. be it in a Maserati or on a Penny Farthing, on a horse or "Shanks's Pony" ... it belongs to no user group at all  :(

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile

But many cyclists don't help themselves by doing any/all of the above stupid actions of either jumping red lights & riding with no lights or a single pathetic light on their back/tucked under a saddle that's virtually invisible. If there's a pothole in front of them, it'd be a good idea for self preservation if nothing else, to look over their shoulder before moving out ....... you would in a car, so why not on a cycle when the danger is injury is so much more if you f**k up.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile

Ron.

That was abolished in 1937 and replaced by Vehicle Excise Duty, the tax is on the vehicle not the road! This BBC article explains the tax clearly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

05omegav6

Is Carlton Reid your pseudonym?

Packs of cyclists are a calamity waiting to happen... riding side by side on anything but a dual carriageway is almost suicidal. If one person wobbles, then there is serious potential to cause the person riding next to you into oncoming/overtaking traffic... scooter riders are as bad for this imho :-\

Otherwise, a sensible piece of journalism :y

chrisgixer

Carriages two abreast would be an offence in most places. ...unless your a cyclist. Law needs an update IMO.

My old landlord was a driving instructor. He once complained "you didn't leave me room to get through" by a 20ft long traffic island. I used to cycle to work and often arrived home at similar times.

That's right, I didn't. ::) I replied.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile

The 'Holier than thou' attitude of the cycling brigade gets on my tits to be honest!  >:(

Better education for all road users is what's needed, maybe in the form of some 1970's style public information films.  Some headcam footage to show drivers what it is like riding a bike on a busy road might be an idea and a good demonstration of why it's not clever for cyclists to creep up the inside of a HGV.  ::)  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile

Is Carlton Reid your pseudonym?

Packs of cyclists are a calamity waiting to happen... riding side by side on anything but a dual carriageway is almost suicidal. If one person wobbles, then there is serious potential to cause the person riding next to you into oncoming/overtaking traffic... scooter riders are as bad for this imho :-\

Otherwise, a sensible piece of journalism :y

Indeed. I cycle quite a bit and agree with most of the article, but cycling 2 abreast or in "packs" displays just the kind of lack of consideration to other road users that cyclists bleat about constantly. If you're in a group, the most sensible, considerate and safe way to cycle is to break yourself up into smaller groups of 2 or 3 who can easily and safely be overtaken by faster traffic, leaving gaps in-between into which a vehicle can pull if required.

Of course, there seems to be a breed of MAMIL who feel the need to demonstrate that they can both hold position in a tight formation and have a natter while exercising where less super-human suspects would be consumed with the need to breathe, stay on the bike and avoid having a coronary event. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.