Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A decent and well written article on the subject of cycling on UK roads  (Read 1909 times)

chrisgixer

Yes if they are chatting then THEY AINT TRYING HARD ENOUGH  >:(

;D

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile

Indeed. I cycle quite a bit and agree with most of the article, but cycling 2 abreast or in "packs" displays just the kind of lack of consideration to other road users that cyclists bleat about constantly. If you're in a group, the most sensible, considerate and safe way to cycle is to break yourself up into smaller groups of 2 or 3 who can easily and safely be overtaken by faster traffic, leaving gaps in-between into which a vehicle can pull if required.

This is what I suggested to a chap at work during one of our 'cycle banter' sessions. He cycles, both to work and with a club, so is passionate about cycling, thus making an easy target for friendly banter. So, I was very surprised when he admitted to me that they had been stopped by the Police for ......... a riding style that was deemed selfish to other road users. Not an offence as far as I know, but frustrating for others if you get stuck behind a long line of them.

I do give cyclists plenty of room, but I'm still amazed by these super fast cyclists that fly through the traffic. A bit of common sense from all parties is all that's required.  :y
If cyclists were included in the no undertaking guidelines, I feel there would be less danger to them, but clearly this would defeat the object for most cyclists travelling through heavy traffic.  ::)

Must admit, I do smile when I see a cycling thread on here, as I know you are all sooooo tolerant of cyclists.   ;) ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 16 April 2014, 10:51:17 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

chrisgixer

As a cyclist over many years ( ;D )... I don't ride on the road. I might cross the road, or use a road if there's no alternative. But it's just not worth the agro otherwise.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile

Must admit, I do smile when I see a cycling thread on here, as I know you are all sooooo tolerant of cyclists.   ;) ;D ;D

Really?  I hadn't noticed....  ::)

....... cycling 2 abreast or in "packs" displays just the kind of lack of consideration to other road users that cyclists bleat about constantly. If you're in a group, the most sensible, considerate and safe way to cycle is to break yourself up into smaller groups of 2 or 3 who can easily and safely be overtaken by faster traffic, leaving gaps in-between into which a vehicle can pull if required.

Indeed I can count on one finger the number of times i have ridden in a group of more than 3.  I wasn't comfortable riding in close formation on narrow roads.  Eventually I peeled off and took my own route.

Of course, there seems to be a breed of MAMIL who feel the need to demonstrate that they can both hold position in a tight formation and have a natter while exercising where less super-human suspects would be consumed with the need to breathe, stay on the bike and avoid having a coronary event. ::)

True, and I refer to the above.  I like the idea of breking up in to smaller sub-groups but I doubt many cyclists would even think about it let alone actually remember to do it.

And on the subject of reckless riding, it gets my goat.  I had a go at a commuter cyclist last night who rode through 2 sets of red lights.  I caught up and told him that they were for bikes as much as for motor vehicles to which he replied 'But I am faster this way'.  I told him to get a better set of legs instead of giving us all a bad name before leaving him for dust.  Despite him going through several other red lights he never caught up.

I will say one thing though.  I have been commuting 50km a day here in Lyon for the past few weeks and I must say how much safer it is here.  The general standard of driving is just as bad as the UK but most drivers here are pretty respectful of cyclists.  I very rarely get a punishment pass, even trucks will hold back when it is too narrow rather than force me in to the verge.  I was speaking to colleagues who said that the 'Boris bike' phenomenon has meant more novice cyclists riding on the roads/pavements and doing silly things, but most french drivers distinguish between those of us who are experienced cyclists and these idiots.  It seems that for those out here who take cycling seriously, the 2 way street of understanding and respect does work.  Time to get it going in the UK :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile

I don't know if the law is still the same as when I used to do a lot of cycling in France, but where cycling is a national sport, if a motorist has an accident with a cyclist it is automatically the motorists fault. Thats why they normally give you far more respect, than they would another motorist.

Most of the French cycle lanes I've come across are also how they should be done, segregated from traffic and pedestrians with a minimal amount of giving way.  :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile

Most of the French cycle lanes I've come across are also how they should be done, segregated from traffic and pedestrians with a minimal amount of giving way.  :y :y :y

Not anymore.  I'll take some pics over the next week or so......
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.