Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: 'professional drivers' .....  (Read 15384 times)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: 'professional drivers' .....
« Reply #90 on: 22 August 2020, 09:51:10 »

If you don't want to be near big smelly lorries then as DG said, don't sit at 54-55mph, sit at 60mph, 

Also remember, The truck is working, not bumbling along on Holiday,  Your average motorist might think that it's only a minute here a minute there, but drivers have limited hours so those minutes add up, ,

During my years of towing a caravan, and chatting to people on site, there are a surprising amount of truckers that are also caravanners.  :y  During such chats I bought up this very subject, and they were the ones that admitted that because their daily drive involved travelling at governed speeds they were quite happy to do the same with the van in tow.
So, there you go, even truckers do it to fellow truckers when they've got a van on the back.  :y

As said though, not really relevant to this post, as we all agree that the Tipper was an arse, which is all Andy was trying to convey in the original post.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 22 August 2020, 09:55:06 »

;D

One might also ask, now more information has come to light :D, why Andy was doing 55 into a 50... :P

But I digress, the tipper driver was being true to form, and is a very naughty boy ;D

Quite right, bloody maniac. Some people have no regard for speed limits.  ;D :y  He's gone from going too slow to going too fast now.  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 22 August 2020, 10:05:55 »

Winter tyre thread anyone?
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 22 August 2020, 10:17:53 »

During my years of towing a caravan, and chatting to people on site, there are a surprising amount of truckers that are also caravanners.  :y  During such chats I bought up this very subject, and they were the ones that admitted that because their daily drive involved travelling at governed speeds they were quite happy to do the same with the van in tow.

having spent 15 years driving restricted vehicles, I often find myself travelling at 55mph in the inside lane. But even a 1500 automatic Avenger has more acceleration than the truck trying to do 56(downhill, badly calibrated limiter, who cares why),  so making a small speed adjustment to stay safe and comfortable is the sensible thing to do.

Being obstinate and stubborn are my family traits, but none of us are stupid enough to argue with 20 tons at 50mph to 'prove' we're right like cutting off the tipper driver. I've given way to impatient arseholes so that I have enough notice of their impending crash to avoid it, rather than being part of it.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 22 August 2020, 10:18:15 »

I'm off to Cornwall tomorrow with the Caravan , so if any tipper driver cuts me up god help them ! Shotgun in the footwell 😄
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 22 August 2020, 10:52:51 »

;D

One might also ask, now more information has come to light :D, why Andy was doing 55 into a 50... :P

But I digress, the tipper driver was being true to form, and is a very naughty boy ;D

What 50 limit? It was  a motorway  .....

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 22 August 2020, 10:59:13 »

;D

I think Al is referring to the stretch of road just before the Hull slip road, where the truck wanted to force you out of the way.  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 22 August 2020, 11:02:22 »

Being obstinate and stubborn are my family traits, but none of us are stupid enough to argue with 20 tons at 50mph to 'prove' we're right like cutting off the tipper driver. I've given way to impatient arseholes so that I have enough notice of their impending crash to avoid it, rather than being part of it.

I wasn't trying to prove anything. The fact he wanted to turn left when he was at the side of me was the the very last thing I expected he wanted to do.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 22 August 2020, 11:03:15 »

;D

I think Al is referring to the stretch of road just before the Hull slip road, where the truck wanted to force you out of the way.  :y
Still motorway rules ....

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 22 August 2020, 11:10:00 »

Apart from the 50 sign in the hedge :D

About a hundred yards up the slip road...

Also, looking back along the motorway, you obviously joined the slip road, and he has been gaining as he also left the motorway and has moved to the right hand land as it opened up, believing that he was going to pass you before the bend. Unfortunately he failed to appreciate the fact that you had cruise control activated and with a significantly higher power to weight ratio, your speed didn't change and he couldn't quite get past you...
He probably also had a car up his arse, which won't have helped his mood any ;D

He should have dropped back in behind you once clear of the motorway, but didn't... So still 'wrong' but you may have compounded the situation somewhat.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2020, 11:25:32 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 22 August 2020, 11:30:38 »

What a fascinating thread.  :)

So, I'm driving along minding my own business when a truck swings out for an overtake that he's clearly going to struggle with, especially as he knows that he's going to need to turn left in about a quarter of a mile.  ::)
He can't get past me due to the gradient in the road so tries to intimidate me into getting out of his way. And this is my fault because..........  ::)

Well apparently it's my fault because I'm doing 55mph, which as we all know is just below a trucks 'zone'. So if we know it's a trucks 'zone' I'd assume the truck driver knew that as well, which makes his move even more idiotic.
A lot of the replies have got to be a wind-up surely. And yes, I assumed Andy had a van on the back as I can't see him setting his cruise to 55mph when flying solo on a motorway.  ;)

As I said fascinating thread.  ;D
Nobody is disputing that the tipper driver was completely at fault :D

Towing or not, sitting at 55 is asking to get caught up with trucks, which is the one thing that most people are uncomfortable with on motorways, which is why most of us choose to drive slightly (ahem) faster ;)
[/quote[/highlight]]

The Tipper in the video going downhill,  he's just getting on.

The Tipper driver that started this thread I would expect no less, from tippers,  going for the overtake 200yrds before exit, going up outside or inside and pushing in, just generally bad driving.

If you don't want to be near big smelly lorries then as DG said, don't sit at 54-55mph, sit at 60mph,

Also remember, The truck is working, not bumbling along on Holiday,  Your average motorist might think that it's only a minute here a minute there, but drivers have limited hours so those minutes add up, ,

I knew someone would try and justify that stupidity ...seems I was right ...

Having held both LGV and PCV licenses (to give them their correct names) I know how "difficult" it can be to stop such vehicles in a hurry - OK .. things have changed in the last 10 years, technology probably makes it less hazardous. Also, having been involved with far "bigger and faster" vehicles for many years (max laden weight 175,000lbs) I actually know, understand, and taught, all about inertia, response times, and braking distances, including the most basic of all facts .. e=mv2 .....

I'm impressed you know so much about my journey when you were not even there !!

Luckily for me, and for many, many other road users, the "authorities" appear to have agreed with me regarding this "professional" driver, and took action.

If you think such behaviour is acceptable .. up to you ... but if I see it I will report it, simply in an attempt to save lives .. nowt to do with being a ... what did you call me .. ah yes ...  "dash cam warrior" .... I guess the easiest way to divert attention from the true facts is to simply make disparaging comments.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2020, 11:33:18 by Entwood »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 22 August 2020, 11:54:36 »

I find it interesting that, although the majority seem to agree with Andy that the LGV driver who tried to force him to "modify" his driving was a complete "dick", there is still a huge amount of time and effort being spent it trying to "prove" that Andy did something ... anything ... wrong .. ...

Is it not possible to simply accept that the LGV driver in both his, and my, incidents are complete idiots ???

All this just seems to consolidate my opinion that the idea of LGV drivers being the "gentlemen of the road" died many, many years ago ... now they are simply out to do what they want, when they want, with complete disregard for others.... and the law.... and all other LGV drivers actively support them

Not my idea of "professonalism" at all.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2020, 12:12:36 by Entwood »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 22 August 2020, 12:17:02 »

I think LGV,s should be banned from the right hand lane of all dual carriageways / motorways, end of.
Its bus drivers who give me the most problems though. I find many of them pig ignorant on the roads.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 22 August 2020, 12:51:28 »

What a fascinating thread.  :)

So, I'm driving along minding my own business when a truck swings out for an overtake that he's clearly going to struggle with, especially as he knows that he's going to need to turn left in about a quarter of a mile.  ::)
He can't get past me due to the gradient in the road so tries to intimidate me into getting out of his way. And this is my fault because..........  ::)

Well apparently it's my fault because I'm doing 55mph, which as we all know is just below a trucks 'zone'. So if we know it's a trucks 'zone' I'd assume the truck driver knew that as well, which makes his move even more idiotic.
A lot of the replies have got to be a wind-up surely. And yes, I assumed Andy had a van on the back as I can't see him setting his cruise to 55mph when flying solo on a motorway.  ;)

As I said fascinating thread.  ;D
Nobody is disputing that the tipper driver was completely at fault :D

Towing or not, sitting at 55 is asking to get caught up with trucks, which is the one thing that most people are uncomfortable with on motorways, which is why most of us choose to drive slightly (ahem) faster ;)
[/quote[/highlight]]

The Tipper in the video going downhill,  he's just getting on.

The Tipper driver that started this thread I would expect no less, from tippers,  going for the overtake 200yrds before exit, going up outside or inside and pushing in, just generally bad driving.

I knew someone would try and justify that stupidity ...seems I was right ...

Having held both LGV and PCV licenses (to give them their correct names) I know how "difficult" it can be to stop such vehicles in a hurry - OK .. things have changed in the last 10 years, technology probably makes it less hazardous. Also, having been involved with far "bigger and faster" vehicles for many years (max laden weight 175,000lbs) I actually know, understand, and taught, all about inertia, response times, and braking distances, including the most basic of all facts .. e=mv2 .....

I'm impressed you know so much about my journey when you were not even there !!

Luckily for me, and for many, many other road users, the "authorities" appear to have agreed with me regarding this "professional" driver, and took action.

If you think such behaviour is acceptable .. up to you ... but if I see it I will report it, simply in an attempt to save lives .. nowt to do with being a ... what did you call me .. ah yes ...  "dash cam warrior" .... I guess the easiest way to divert attention from the true facts is to simply make disparaging comments.

You may find that the Tipper firm were already on the Dvsa hit list, Dosent take much, a few MOT failures, couple of bad inspection, and roadside checks, and Locals moaning about vehicles leaving an operating centre,, Then they start, and your video just helped them, yes bad operators need to be brought to task,..

I referred back to something I did say, if it had been a  Lamborghini or Ferrari, or V8 on song doing 100mph, would you take the same stance, as that's breaking the law too.. You cannot pick little bits of the law which suit your agenda.  Speeding is Speeding weather it be a Truck or a car..
Hoof'land storeman.

Boatboy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 27 August 2020, 21:14:16 »

Puts me in mind of a nautical ditty

This is the story of John O’Day
Who died maintaining his right of way.
He was right, dead right, as he sailed along,
but he’s just as dead as if he were wrong.

Yes, on the facts as presented the tipper driver was an impatient idiot. We’ve all been guilty of misjudging a situation, but how we recover from it is the difference between idiot and muppet.

The crowd I currently drive for are one of those ‘compliance first’ outfits.  We’re limited to 52/53 to save a bob or the planet, not sure which, and anything regularly over that attracts the stern word. I tend to set at 48/49 on the basis that anything and everything coming past gets out of my ‘zone’ quicker. Not long ago but on a different contract I was one of the regulars on the early morning wacky races home from Cairnryan on the infamous A75; definitely no place for setting a speed any lower than paddy truck max plus 1. Not saying it’s right, just the way it is.

As for knights of the road? I think that went out the window when the availability of a never ending supply of Eastern European license holders turned truck drivers into a commodity to be bought at the lowest possible cost.  There’s still some of us that try, but after a typical days 8 hours of being cut up, slowed down, baulked and generally having my chain yanked it gets a bit hard.

Steve

Steve

Every start's a bonus!
03 2.6 Elite estate. Bose my A***
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.