Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wheel alighnment  (Read 1981 times)

moomintroll

• Rotherham
    • 2.2 16v ecotec sport
    • View Profile
wheel alighnment
« on: 08 September 2014, 19:25:20 »

Just fitted new wishbones and track controll arms  to my 2.2 16v sport estate.
Toik it to my local garage to hve tracking done and he said you may have to bring it back  once its settled in and sure enough it was pulling to the right so i took it back.he worke on it i drove it away  but anoyingly still pulling  right..any theories as to whats goin on

05omegav6

Re: wheel alighnment
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2014, 19:29:27 »

Take it to a proper place before you destroy the tyres... as a start, try Nigel Langs in Bolton, given your location :y

powerslinky

« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2014, 19:43:35 »

ust fitted nJew wishbones and track controll arms  to my 2.2 16v sport estate.
Toik it to my local garage to hve tracking done and he said you may have to bring it back  once its settled in and sure enough it was pulling to the right so i took it back.he worke on it i drove it away  but anoyingly still pulling  right..any theories as to whats goin on

Did you follow the maintenance guide on here when fitting ?   A most important  procedure is  the tightening/torqueing  of the wishbone bolts with the car on the floor  to prevent  rapid failure

A full WIM  (Wheels in Motion )  or Nigel Langs  geometry set up  will be required then your car will drive like a good 'un. Use the search facility on here to find threads on WIM set up

HTH  :y

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2014, 19:44:34 »

Take it to a proper place before you destroy the tyres... as a start, try Nigel Langs in Bolton, given your location :y

Seconded  :y :y :y  Nigel Langs will sort it  :y

http://www.nigellangsgarage.co.uk/

Mention the OOF forum (and the Green Mini Facelift V6 CDX they did the geo setup on  (me  ;) )) and you will be in fine hands.

Make sure give the rear adjusters a good soak/squirt/clean/lube as they WILL need adjusting  ;)

Here is the before and after with mine  :y
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=123495.0

We can compare printouts later  ;D

« Last Edit: 08 September 2014, 19:49:30 by DrAndyB »

moomintroll

• Rotherham
    • 2.2 16v ecotec sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2014, 21:41:46 »

Cheers for that may well take it there when i have the time .asfor the torqing up of the forward mounts on the wishbones i jacked up the car then sat it on two spare wheels undeer my front wheels if you know what i mean and then tightend them up.as my car sits really low with it being sport model.and its funny that you mention the steering wheel cos mine isnt straight either

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2014, 21:58:50 »

Pete is the guy who does the geo setups and has an eye for detail  :y

May your wheel be straight again soon !!!  :D

I would be interested to hear how you get on.

Andy.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2014, 22:17:41 »

Cheers for that may well take it there when i have the time .asfor the torqing up of the forward mounts on the wishbones i jacked up the car then sat it on two spare wheels undeer my front wheels if you know what i mean and then tightend them up.as my car sits really low with it being sport model.and its funny that you mention the steering wheel cos mine isnt straight either

Bit of a contradiction in terms with it being a 4 pot ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

chrisgixer

« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2014, 22:32:42 »

There's three settings on the omega front suspension to consider. Tracking, or toe, is just one. It also needs castor and camber set correctly as well or it can still pull with spot on toe.

Full geometric set up is required to get this right.

Further, the front suspension settings can also be spot on, and the car still pull or the steering wheel be off centre, if the rear suspension settings (thrust angle) are not correct. Thrust angle should be zero, or dead ahead. If its off centre the rear axle is then steering the car off to the side. This means the car is crabbing slightly, with the rear axle steering the rear of the car to one side. In the situation the car will never have a level steering wheel if the front settings are correct.

Full geo will sort this all out, if done correctly. Do not assume any set up company can get it right. All too many get it wrong.

So recommendations here are the companies to use. As said. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 September 2014, 21:45:46 »

As others have said, it needs a full geo, and by somebody who knows what they are doing (which rules out most - "green" isn't good enough).

This needs doing sooner rather than later, sorry :(
Grumpy old man

moomintroll

• Rotherham
    • 2.2 16v ecotec sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2014, 22:26:50 »

Thanks for all the advice and yeah it may only be a 4 banger version not as silky as thhe veez.
But it will make a half decent interim car till i can afford an m5 beemer

moomintroll

• Rotherham
    • 2.2 16v ecotec sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 September 2014, 22:00:10 »

Had spanners out this weekend tinkering and decided I'd check the camber with the socket method I had read on here. So the off side was a 13mm socket between inner wheel rim and strut.the nearside was a 6mm. Loosened the big 🔩 bolts on bottom of the strut and got it levered out to near as damn and hey what a difference no longer pulling to the left.and I realise that this isn't exactly suspension setup at f1 standards but on a 700 quid car I'm hardly going to spend half that again for a bloke to work his magic on it am I

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 September 2014, 22:56:39 »

The problem is that adjusting the camber will have put the toe adjustment out, because the settings interact, and that's not easy to get right on a DIY basis. Keep a very keen eye out for tyre wear. In comparison with the cost of a couple of wrecked tyres, a proper setup isn't that costly.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

chrisgixer

« Reply #12 on: 29 September 2014, 23:17:53 »

As Kev says, if your happy with the handling and wallet situation then fair enough.

But if members here then didn't advise that the car "could" still destroy the front tyres, and cost you money as a result, you wouldn't be best pleased with us.

As long as your aware....etc... :)

Also, the socket method is really meant as a before and after measurement. The fact that one socket happens to be the same as quoted in the guide is by no means a sign of accuracy. Your wheels might be a differant size to those in the guide, so giving a differant gap ...but again, as long as your aware, there's obviously been an improvement :y

moomintroll

• Rotherham
    • 2.2 16v ecotec sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 October 2014, 21:47:16 »

Oh yes it was and probably still is miles out even now it tramlines on the motorway in the troffs the let's make but it's better than it was. There not bad cars but the design is definitely showing it's age.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 October 2014, 09:29:07 »

Well, this is true It is showing its age. There were running prototypes of the 'next Carlton' spied by the motoring press in 1989!! And what was to become the Omega B was launched twenty years ago this year. I'd also be very interested to hear of any car designs which aren't showing their age after 20 years.  :y

If looked after properly the Omega (and many cars) will go on indefinitely  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.