Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wishbone rear bushes  (Read 3115 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: Wishbone rear bushes
« Reply #15 on: 14 October 2014, 19:08:02 »

You don't need the wb bolts. Re use the old ones if you wish.

It's better to replace the pinch bolts and nuts if anything. (Lemforder bones co e with these in the bag, for example)

Imo poly help the rearward bush last longer, as there is less give in the poly. This allows less yaw/twist on the rearward bush. To my thinking anyway.

Thks Chris, I'm fitting the new bolts tomorrow anyway, and I'm afraid the pinch bolts will have to do further service. :-X :y :y :y

05omegav6

« Reply #16 on: 14 October 2014, 19:15:10 »

I wonder if the poly bushes re direct some of the bigger jolts to the rear bushes... or rather, that by virtue of being softer, the rear bushes absorb more :-\

If the trade off for improved control is shorter rear bush life, then it's a small price to pay imho...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 October 2014, 21:38:46 »

I wonder if the poly bushes re direct some of the bigger jolts to the rear bushes... or rather, that by virtue of being softer, the rear bushes absorb more :-\

If the trade off for improved control is shorter rear bush life, then it's a small price to pay imho...
I think the rears seem to be less durable since having polys.  Not sure if two are related, or if the rears have changed?
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #18 on: 15 October 2014, 00:37:42 »

I think the rears seem to be less durable since having polys.  Not sure if two are related, or if the rears have changed?
Nothing you experience since the demise of your original wishbones will ever live up to expectations. As I reacll anyway...?

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 October 2014, 11:02:59 »

Well these are the original bones on 57K, and the rear bushes have probably been gone for about 2K, as the knocking which I thought was droplinks was almost the same after changing them.

The bolts arrived today in packets of 3 (BOLTS I said) but, as I should have checked, and should have expected with VX, without nuts. >:( >:( >:(, however, the nuts arrive tomorrow in....guess what? Packets of 2!!!  :-X :-X :-X

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 October 2014, 11:32:11 »

No need to replace bolts and nuts for this job.  :y

Regarding the query of rear bush, looking at how they fail it appears to be due to rotation affects rather than side loading of the bush. If the front polys accelerated failure I would expect them to fail due to side loading.

05omegav6

« Reply #21 on: 15 October 2014, 13:05:33 »

Seems to be a bit chicken and egg :-\

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 October 2014, 14:51:54 »

Did someone say chicken?

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

chrisgixer

« Reply #23 on: 15 October 2014, 19:39:29 »

I've never seen a rearward bush fail in any other way regardless of the front bush being rubber or poly. That being, in the direction of the travel of the wishbone movement. Ie, the inboard and outboard edges of the bush tear away from the surround.

Bit like spoon bending. Bend a spoon back and forth and eventually it will brake through fatigue. This is the same except the rubber pulls away from the surround.

Or, rarely, rust gets in between the centre sapacer and the rubber.

But, always, it's the inboard and outboard edges of the rubber that pull away due to wishbone leverage fro the road wheel rising and falling.

The biggest affect on performance and life is the quality of the bush. Some of the cheap stuff fails in weeks, but in the same way.
« Last Edit: 15 October 2014, 19:41:15 by chrisgixer »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 October 2014, 20:09:27 »

Nothing you experience since the demise of your original wishbones will ever live up to expectations. As I reacll anyway...?
The first wishbone replacements on the bullet were good as well, gm :y
Grumpy old man

danzigfan

• Omega Knight
  • Jesenice, Slovenia
    • Omega 2.5V6, 3.0V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 October 2014, 09:36:42 »

I'm really sorry for bringing this up again but having the same issues with steering - ocasional clonk - felling wobbly when doing tight turn, I checked rear bushes today. Right rear bush has clearly gone.....after 7000 miles  :-\ :'( Front are polly bushes. Pics follow 

Left one is fine

Right one is clearly torn  :-[
I would rather push omega than drive renault

chrisgixer

« Reply #26 on: 19 October 2014, 09:42:03 »

Yep that's bollardsed.

Are those wishbones a matching pair though? The right side wishbone also appears to have a lot less weld around the bush metalwork.

danzigfan

• Omega Knight
  • Jesenice, Slovenia
    • Omega 2.5V6, 3.0V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 October 2014, 09:44:46 »

Those were bought as a pair, same package, same number - few months ago  :o

chrisgixer

« Reply #28 on: 19 October 2014, 09:47:52 »

Name and shame...?

danzigfan

• Omega Knight
  • Jesenice, Slovenia
    • Omega 2.5V6, 3.0V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 October 2014, 09:51:45 »

Long gone sorry  ;D, got both for 110e with a discount
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.