Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Next step... V6 starts but rough as a Hedgehog's back - what now?  (Read 11760 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Next step... V6 starts but rough as a Hedgehog's back - what now?
« Reply #45 on: 21 October 2014, 10:12:30 »

Cheers!! That's much appreciated  :)

Once again, stuck at work, when I'd rather be at home tinkering  >:(  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #46 on: 21 October 2014, 10:44:41 »

Double check the main vac line from plenum to brake servo... it can chafe where it crosses the aircon plumbing, causing an almost invisible leak... a couple of wraps with insulation tape is a quick fix :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 21 October 2014, 10:58:49 »

Will definitely double check. This main pipe has been replaced as of last night (with one, interestingly, with insulating tape round it, where it crosses the aircon plumbing!  :D)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 21 October 2014, 11:04:20 »

Hypothosising again...

If that brake servo pipe had a vac leak from rubbing against the A/C or whatever. Could this 'rob' the multirams of the AMOUNT of vacuum required to operate them?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 21 October 2014, 11:19:04 »

It could, one supposes. Though not sure if my issues are caused my the Multirams not working. I'd have thought the hunting etc.. is more down to for instance, the ICV not getting the proper 'oomph' - which I appreciate, would be the same root cause you mention.

I will pop off the man vac pipe, and try and give it a blow, maybe trying the old leaky bike tyre trick - soapy water on it, look for bubbles? That might work on other pipes, too, actually.

The more I think about it, though, I seem to remember the Multiram didn't want to go on very well due to the plethora of vac pipes all over the place - in fact there was a pipe that popped off, as I seem to remember - just spotted it before putting it on proper, after a 'dry run' maybe find that, check it's not leaking a little air...

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 21 October 2014, 11:36:47 »

Disconnect the servo pipe to plenum connection and blank the plenum hole over....then try.

This eliminates all the vac piping, if it now runs fine you can add section back in one by one to narrow the fault down.

Certainly don't go willy nilly replacing bits as all you do is add more unknowns  :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 21 October 2014, 11:59:08 »

Disconnect the servo pipe to plenum connection and blank the plenum hole over....then try.

This eliminates all the vac piping, if it now runs fine you can add section back in one by one to narrow the fault down.

Certainly don't go willy nilly replacing bits as all you do is add more unknowns  :y

Thats a really good point, i never thought of that!

Presumably a bolt will fit?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 21 October 2014, 12:00:06 »

Ahhh, thanks Mark DTM!

See I would have reasoned by doing that she'd run rough too, as the pipework isn't all connected as it wants to be... But as you say, blank the plenum hole off, which makes sense.

Also, as I have my suspicions, that the multiram plenum isn't mated quite right, or an o-ring's slipped or something, if the problem persists, then it's a strong contender that it's this.

Much appreciated! God, I can't wait to get back to giving advice to members, not taking. I'm never comfortable borrowing even a quid off someone, and taking free advice off people comes into that category. I always try and give back where I've taken  :)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 21 October 2014, 12:02:11 »

DTM charges £400 a response. His bill will be PM'd at the end of the tax year  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 21 October 2014, 12:10:40 »

DTM charges £400 a response. His bill will be PM'd at the end of the tax year  ;D

;D ;D :D :D ;D ;D :y

If I blank off, as the £400-a-time response ( :y) suggests, will this kill all vaccuum, including the thin vac pipes? A bit like cutting an electrical wire, it kills the 'circuit' Or will blocking the plenum and main servo vac pipe thereby narrow down the leak to one of these thinner pipes?

Sorry, this is a question I could answer by just doing it, but I'm not going to get chance to look at her until Wednesday, and the suspense kills!!!  :P

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 21 October 2014, 12:22:31 »

You wont be killing intake vacuum... by bunging the brake servo entry point youve simply cut off the vacuum going to the brake booster and the multirams (none of which are needed as the cars sitting in park on your drive).

if you find that the idle smooths out you know that the vac leak is somewhere in those vac lines (brake servo pipe, multiram lines etc.)

:)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 21 October 2014, 12:26:01 »

It will remove the VAC feed to all vac operated devices e.g. multirams, brake servo, heater system, air injection valve.

To block, I usually use very well secured tape (needs to be well secured or it will get sucked in) or I have a bolt of smaller diameter then the hole with 2-orings around it, this fits snugly inside the hole.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 21 October 2014, 13:08:27 »

Much appreciated. Already looking in the warehouse at work for any stray O-rings that might fall into my pocket  :y  :D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 21 October 2014, 13:20:29 »

i bought an o ring set from hellfrauds. only couple of quid and all the o ring sizes you could need :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 21 October 2014, 13:26:10 »

just to reiterate.

defo make sure the hole is sealed. for one, your testing will obviously be pointless if youve replaced a vacuum leak...with another.

but most importantly (and i dont know if anyonse done this)... i stupidly started my car with the brake servo pipe disconnected and i can only describe it as an explosion out of the hole  :o :o :o nearly poo'd myself  :-[
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.