Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: What Do You Drive Now in 2020...?  (Read 10623 times)

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
What Do You Drive Now in 2020...?
« on: 13 February 2020, 19:40:16 »

Hi all,

It's been a good while since i've posted on OOF! ...I do miss the banter and i do pop in now and again. :)

Now that the youngest Omega would be around 17 years old give or take i'm curios to hear what everyones drives these days. I'd imagine a good percentage of members no longer run an Omega for various reasons. Rust, Failed MOT etc..

So lets hear it.. What do you run now?, Should be interesting. :y 

Also give the car you run now a little personal review / how it compares to the Omega you previously had.

Now i do know there are still some minters out there so if you still run an Omega, Comment as well... Is it becoming more of a challenge to keep it on the road?, How much longer do you expect you'll be able to keep it road worthy? etc..

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Re: What Do You Drive Now in 2020...?
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2020, 19:44:15 »

Vectra C, I broke my Desmond :'(

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2020, 20:03:58 »

Replaced the Omega 3.2 running on LPG with an Audi Allroad 3.0 Turbo V6 diesel a year ago simply as I could not get breakdown insurance on the Omega for continental touring. If the car had broken down the costs of getting it, and the caravan, home could have been around £3000 ... just not viable .. plus for personal reasons I wished/needed to stop crawling under cars every month !

The Audi is certainly a nice place to be, lots of toys, exceedingly comfortable, pulls like a train, handles well and is extremely stable as a tow car. As someone said when I bought it .. a car designed in the 21st century that was designed to tow ... versus a car designed in the 1980s where towing was not built in.

Costs wise... its only costing me 1p a mile more than running the Omega on LPG was .... I get around 38 mpg solo, 24 mpg towing .... I don't compare it to running the Omega on petrol as I never did that !

Do I regret buying the Audi ??  Not in the slightest, and I've done exactly no work on it at all .. it gets washed/vaccummed/refueled and driven ... I've literally done nothing else.... but it will be due an oil change and service soon ... the question is do I use Audi, an Independant, or try it myself ....  don't know yet ...

Do I miss the Omega ?? Certainly, it had "character" and a fabulous sound.... and very occasionally I miss "spanner twirling" ... then it starts to rain and I no longer miss it !!

:)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2020, 20:10:06 »

Merc ML350

As a tow car, it can't be faulted .... 254bhp & 457lbft, Airmatic suspension with towing pack makes towing dead easy.

PITA to park though even when it'll parallel park itself because it's so big and not exactly frugal fuel wise  ???

I miss not having a saloon car  ...... 
« Last Edit: 13 February 2020, 20:11:46 by Andy B »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2020, 20:13:09 »

....ue an oil change and service soon ... the question is do I use Audi, an Independant, or try it myself ....  don't know yet ...

Find an independent  :y :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2020, 20:30:36 »

Lots of Omegas still on the road here in Spain. All stellar mileage. Haven’t found any places that do proper suspension geometry. We gave up on Omegas eight years ago , I think.

We needed a 4x4 so bought a Suzuki Vitara with a 2.0 Hdi engine. It has been good for our work and also hauling olive harvest to the mill. I use it off road most days.

Long distance driving became a trial as cruising speed is also maximum! We also needed two cars for security living off the beaten track.

Choosing a vehicle was really hard and we did consider briefly another Omega. Common sense prevailed !  Automatic and well equipped were the priorities. It was shocking how basic most SH cars were. The omega elite was very well equipped for the day.

Choosing an automatic wasnt easy with horror stories abounding . We nearly settled on a Qashqai before being put off by what we read, rightly or wrongly.

In the end we went for Volkswagen DSG. Then we decided we needed an estate for carrying capacity. Tried Passat , bigger than we needed. Settled on a Golf. At any time there were only about eight well equipped auto Golf estates for sale in the whole of Spain. Looked at some and quickly realised that most if not all had been bought from elsewhere in Europe and registered. No one here had been buying well specced cars during the crisis. Crucially lacking in service history record.

We looked further afield and found a good selection of cars in Germany with service history etc. at a price which even allowing for transport, agents fee and registration cost came in at Spanish prices.

All we had to do was choose all the extras we wanted ( but no sunroof)  and make the purchase. First car we have ever bought without looking at , in or test driving.

It is great for us. Plenty of power, dsg is excellent, got paddles for manual shifts, cruise and so on. Economy is great. We have been to Scotland and back twice. Will be going again this year.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2020, 20:35:37 »

Still got my Trolley...

A 2002 Mercedes A160L, although it is being replaced at the end of the month.

Had I for two years now, and it's done almost 196k and is basically oppsed.  :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2020, 20:52:29 »

I'm late to the Omega owners party
 I drive a 53 plate Omega 2.6 CDXi (build date 2nd April 2003)  about 81k on the clock
had it less than 2 years, having driven Carltons for 20 years
I've had to lower my standards (late UK omegas have auto gear boxes ,NOT manual  ::) )
 and fuel economy is not as good as the carlton ,despite being 10 years newer  :P
the Omega has more toys and it is a great car none the less
so I intend to keep it alive as long as possible ,no RWD Vauxhalls made anymore  :(

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2020, 20:56:24 »

One of the last 3.2 Omega’s built, and still going strong  8) :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2020, 21:22:33 »

3x Omega 3.2 Elites and occasionally an Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex (Mrs VXL's).

mantaray

• Intermediate Member
  • Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2020, 22:15:36 »

2002 2.6 Omega on LPG. Did have a Volvo V40 on a 14 plate until I crashed it in November last year. ;D
2.6 CDX Auto Estate,
71 Opel Manta A Series 2.5 V6

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 February 2020, 22:23:39 »

Still have my Omega Elite-but it's been on sorn for some while-split my time between Volvo V70[same year as Omega 20yrs old] phase 1 2.4L petrol and a [now]25yr old Volvo 960 2.9L auto saloon.I find both Volvos just as comfortable as the Omega the V70 is more economical and the 960 about the same as omega economy wise.The 960 is a straight 6 and for a large car handles pretty well-as good if not better than the Omega-while the V70 has the ex VW/Audi 5 cylinder motor.Both Volvos seem less prone to rot than the Omega.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 February 2020, 22:35:50 »

Moved my Omega on back at the beginning of August last year at nearly 240,000 miles, almost 200,000 with tours truly at the wheel and about 170,000 on LPG!

This is its replacement:

Absolutely delighted with it so far. :)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 February 2020, 22:44:10 »

Looks great Kevin
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 February 2020, 22:52:32 »

3.2 Elite which is my daily drive and most days cover in excess of 100 miles.

I still get a grin when pulling onto the motorway and it just pulls like a train and can comfortably leave most other cars in its wake.Comfortable/handles well and I tend to ignore the mpg and intend keeping it as long as I can keep repairing and servicing it 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.