Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HGV  (Read 1992 times)

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
HGV
« on: 13 April 2017, 14:49:40 »

Have the laws changed as to how fast an HGV can go  ??? Was on the A5 and hitting a dual carriageway then put my foot down to overtake a hgv with curtain side trailer , i was at 75mph and the lorry was still pulling away  ::) 
Omegatitis

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: HGV
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2017, 14:51:56 »

The driver / owner has disconnected the speed limiter and probably switched off  / put a bar magnet on the tachograph. ;)

The legal limit is 50 mph on single carriageways and 60 on dual carriageways.

The other possibility is that it was a police driven unit that is being used in many parts to watch out for lorry drivers breaking the law.  Usually though they have a marked patrol car somewhere about. Judging from what you say, this is however unlikely. :)
« Last Edit: 13 April 2017, 14:55:21 by Lizzie Zoom »

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2017, 14:54:38 »

The driver / owner has disconnected the speed limiter and probably switched off  / put a bar magnet on the tachograph. ;)

Its bad enough being beaten by a soot chucker , then to be beaten by a truck  ::) :D Least he was in the crawler lane  :D
Omegatitis

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2017, 14:57:22 »

The other possibility is that it was a police driven unit that is being used in many parts to watch out for lorry drivers breaking the law.  Usually though they have a marked patrol car somewhere about. Judging from what you say, this is however unlikely. :)

not sure any of that works any more what with smart cards etc nowadays but hey it might ....but I wish the £$%$^&*( would do that on the M26 and get the hell out of my way some days lol.....EMD you never seen truck racing at brands they go like a bat out of hell :o
« Last Edit: 13 April 2017, 15:04:43 by the alarming man »
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2017, 15:03:56 »

not sure any of that works any more what with smart cards etc nowadays but hey ....but I wish the £$%$^&*( would do that on the M26 and get the hell out of my way some days lol.....EMD you never seen truck racing at brands they go like a bat out of hell :o

Yeah but not with a trailer slung behind  ;D :y
Omegatitis

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2017, 15:06:02 »

not sure any of that works any more what with smart cards etc nowadays but hey ....but I wish the £$%$^&*( would do that on the M26 and get the hell out of my way some days lol.....EMD you never seen truck racing at brands they go like a bat out of hell :o

Yeah but not with a trailer slung behind  ;D :y

that's true....although that would make racing a whole lot more interesting  ;D

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2017, 15:08:09 »

Wonder what the speed rating is on the tyres on this speeding truck  ::)
Omegatitis

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2017, 15:31:46 »

not sure any of that works any more what with smart cards etc nowadays but hey it might ....but I wish the £$%$^&*( would do that on the M26 and get the hell out of my way some days lol.....EMD you never seen truck racing at brands they go like a bat out of hell :o

Yes, the traffic police are still finding bar magnets on the tachograph, or evidence of them being used, and switches installed to over-ride the speed limiters. ;)

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2017, 16:36:39 »

allegedly (according to a traffic cop I know) nothing illegal about fitting a switch...using on the other hand is a different matter...which imo is pointless why fit if you are never to use

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2017, 16:41:20 »

Wonder what the speed rating is on the tyres on this speeding truck  ::)

.. and how may times they've been re-treaded. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 April 2017, 10:51:19 »

Unlike our North American cousins, alot our trucks tend to be geared to a much lower speeds... so that truck was probably at its absolute maximum.

I have seen 70 from a 240bhp 18t going from Wycombe towards Oxford. The latest trucks with 7-800 bhp would probably do 70 fully loaded the other way up that hill given half a chance... :o certainly they can do 56 everywhere 8)

Whilst fitting switches etc is illegal and potentially dangerous, it is hardly surprising given the demands the freight companies, and society generally, place on the drivers...

If trucks were derestricted, people might pay them a bit more thought and respect on the roads :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 April 2017, 11:07:20 »

Just because the alleged truck was faster on a downhill section, fully frighted at 44tonnes, downhill, 75mph is easy, most trucks gearing won't allow them over 68mph on the flat.
Hoof'land storeman.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 April 2017, 11:26:40 »

Just because the alleged truck was faster on a downhill section, fully frighted at 44tonnes, downhill, 75mph is easy, most trucks gearing won't allow them over 68mph on the flat.

The tractor unit I encountered was on the flat, at the start of a dual carriageway section, and from a standing start from being stopped at lights! :D :D ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 April 2017, 14:11:15 »

I have seen 70 from a 240bhp 18t going from Wycombe towards Oxford. The latest trucks with 7-800 bhp would probably do 70 fully loaded the other way up that hill given half a chance
I assume you're referring to Chickenshit Canyon?  I've maxed out a few vehicles down there (in my dreams only, obviously, officer)
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 April 2017, 18:46:15 »

The heavy recovery truck I used to drive was capable of well over 80mph without a load to tow :-X ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.