Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tire choice: facelift 2.2 Estate  (Read 6900 times)

rds

• View Profile
Re: Tire choice: facelift 2.2 Estate
« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2016, 19:13:39 »

Yes, i think  they must be on the soft side as they do not last very long. Are any of the others you mention a little harder?

cheers

RDS

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2016, 19:23:02 »

Banned  ;) ;D

I have to say his knowledge of tyres, their composition, construction, testing and performance was rudimentary to say the least :)
WHY ?

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2016, 19:55:47 »

Yes, i think  they must be on the soft side as they do not last very long. Are any of the others you mention a little harder?

cheers

RDS

About the same if my memory serves. Maybe something like Dunlop SportMaxx RT then? Plenty of people on here run them and can give their thoughts about them. I like them from grip, cornering and tyre noise perspective but they do seem to drop off quickly when a little over half worn.

rds

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 May 2016, 20:09:39 »

good idea thanks. hmm seems it is all swings and roundabouts: win here and lose there.

given that one will inevitably be used eventually "across an axle" with another tread pattern (although this is not the same issue as with mixing radials and crossplies), i spose i'll end up with the Pirelli Cinturato.

thanks again

RDS

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 May 2016, 20:29:39 »

wheres that tyre thread ffrom a couple of years ago?
(ducking for cover now!!!!)
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 26 May 2016, 20:37:06 »

wheres that tyre thread ffrom a couple of years ago?
(ducking for cover now!!!!)
;D I did think it might still be in the top ten list for most replies in the Stats section, but it's not... probably at number 11 :D

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #21 on: 26 May 2016, 22:48:27 »

Banned  ;) ;D

I have to say his knowledge of tyres, their composition, construction, testing and performance was rudimentary to say the least :)
WHY ?

Probably for being a dick - ask an admin as they banned him ;)

Re the ops original query, I can agree with VXL V6's post re Kuhmo KU39s as being a reasonable tyre for the Omega.  Also had them on my old Jag XJ6 (X350 3Lit V6 SE), and only downside was that rears didn't last long, no issues with fronts.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2016, 22:52:03 by dbug »
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

rds

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 May 2016, 00:27:43 »

ta dbug

i'll add that to the list!

RDS

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 June 2016, 00:29:15 »

for budget but uni directional tyres i've found these good: Westlake AKA Goodride SV308 97 W XL, C rating for wet grip, 72db noise.  supposedly M+S - mud and snow.   £60 each fitted, in 2013, seem to be £70 now.

they're due for replacement this year and i estimate about 17K miles on the rears and 31K miles on the fronts - lots of motorway cruising.

rds

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 June 2016, 00:53:59 »

thanks for the info Migmog

Cheers

RDS

jarqo1981

• Nuneaton
    • Omega 3.0 v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01 June 2016, 05:27:56 »

I'm going again for Uniroyal Rainsport 3...plenty rain in this country so :D

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s293p111635/Uniroyal_Tyres_Car_Uniroyal_RainSport3_Uniroyal_Rain_Sport_3_-_225_55_R16_95Y_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB

but my size 235/45/r17 is only for Ł53.95 inc.VAT  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 June 2016, 18:32:49 »

Banned  ;) ;D

Perhaps, but his comments always lifted the threads above tedium level. ::) :y
Me no saying nuffin... :-X but Chris did know exactly what he wanted from his tyres ;)
Which wasn't entirely the same as what I wanted (for me, grip was everything, for Mr Gixer, straight line stability/antitramineling was paramount), but near enough for us to get ideas/pointers from each other.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 June 2016, 18:35:55 »

Maybe something like Dunlop SportMaxx RT then? Plenty of people on here run them and can give their thoughts about them. I like them from grip, cornering and tyre noise perspective but they do seem to drop off quickly when a little over half worn.
I don't think the current RT's are as good as the ones from 2 or 3 years back.  I agree, they do absolutely drop off a cliff when approaching nearly worn (around 3-4mm).
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 June 2016, 18:50:34 »

From memory P6000 are quite a medium/soft compound tyre, so, notwithstanding different characteristics of tread patterns etc you may want to either stay with the Pirelli brand and go with the model Al suggests or perhaps look at something Like Kuhmo KU39 or Toyo Proxes T1-R
I found the P6000 to be pretty dire on the Omega. Not sure it was just because of the P6000's design age (as they worked fantastically well on our old Rover). A seemingly contradictory combination of soft-ish tyre and low grip led to horrific wear rate and not much grip led to a most unsatisfactory result, similar to the Avon ZZ3's which lasted me 4k (only beaten by the equally shite Continental SC5 which lasted 3k).

Kuhmos were quite impressive for the (then) cost, but lacked feedback for when they were about to let go, which led to some serious clenching at times.  Due to the (now) high cost for essentially a mid range tyre, I'm not sure they represent good value.

None of the budget tyres, and I do mean none, are any good. All suffer the age old budget problem of the differential between wet and dry.  If the tyre labelling is to have any meaning, it should have a dry grip rating as well, and ratings tested at half worn. Nexen N6000, despite poor grip, deserve a special mention for very good ride and stability, unless you need to accelerate, brake or turn ;D

Autogrip is definitely a brand to avoid on any car - after you've taken a couple of mm off them, they *WILL* kill you as soon as the road gets damp.

As VXL says, everyone needs something different from their tyres. Some need tyres that last a million year, and grip is unimportant. Some need a resistance to tramlining (maybe motorway milers?). Some need outright grip (enthusiastic/spirited drivers, and those with an absolute safety consciousness?).  And clearly from our experiences and tests, what works on a little FWD shitbox doesn't mean it will work on a large RWD tank.
Grumpy old man

rds

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 June 2016, 22:56:53 »

Thanks The Boy

I'm no nearer a decision: I was not impressed with the 10k gentle miles on my P6000s which pales into insignificance when compared to your 4k. But then again, I expect tires to last: previously 15k on another high performance RWD drive and hardly showing any wear at all. I just cant remember what they were though!!

So far the Pirelli Cinturato is just nosing ahead....

TTFN

RDS
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.